Panic buying and runs on "stuff"

This is what we do.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Panic buying and runs on "stuff"

Post by DavidABQ »

It is the same here with people hoarding ammo. I expected this would happen so I have enough to last for several months. I just hate having my money tied up in ammo instead of just buying what I need when I need it.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

While in Wal-Mart today I looked over their gun rack and was a little surprised at the selection they still had - and the crowd at the counter. It's usually pretty quiet back there but there were extra employees behind the counter and several tire kickers picking over what they had.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
jesterdog
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jesterdog »

AddictedToSB wrote:
jesterdog wrote: Can't find Wolf MT in Austin anywhere. Nobody carries it including Academy.
Sometimes they have it at Red's. And if they are out they might order it for you (they used to, but don't know about now with things being like they are.)

Yeah, I called them. They don't have any... :(
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

kevinbear on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:29 am

I think it's crazy to stock up on that much ammunition and black guns, if it comes down to "that" scenario I'll pick up what I need on the battlefield.

I'm with you Kev. I do have enough stashed away to do that.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I worked the local gun show for my action pistol sponsor (Taylor Gun Exchange) this past weekend because we knew it was going to be crazy. It was packed to the point you could not walk. I could not get out from behind the booth until it was over. The ammo supplier across from us had to send a cargo truck with liftgate back to his warehouse twice to restock. The background checks did not take as long as we thought they would and we did not have a whole lot of inventory to take back to the shop because we sold most of it. AR's were selling for $1895 plus tax like hotcakes. Gen 4 Glocks for $610 plus tax. Gen 3 Glocks for $589 plus tax. I saw a nice used AR10 sell for $4200 without a second of hesitation by the buyer. A few months ago it would have sold for $1200. A lot of the buyers obviously had never touched a trigger in their lives. I refused to sell a Glock to a frail elderly lady who did not have the strength to move the slide at all. This is after I demonstrated "safely" how the slide could be racked with both hands on my belt, on the edge of the table and vehicle bumpers. I could tell she would never understand that she just needed a J-frame. A brick would have been more use for her than the Glock and cheaper. It is a pity that these people who will never shoot are buying this equipment and supplies, driving up prices and drying up supplies for the competitive shooter that actually shoots. I need 9 mm 147 grain Zero bullets to match shoot and there are none anywhere. Zero will not even take backorders and I have them backordered with vendors who will back order. I have a feeling that these people are buying reloading components and do not have the slightest idea of how to reload. There. Venting helped.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Hopefully those reloading components won't get used and will be for sale in a couple of years heavily discounted, had not heard that preppers were buying reloading components.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The way I am thinking is that prepping is just panic buying but extended over a longer period of time. The preppers are stocking reloading components that will be wasted and never go downrange. Let even the best progressive press sit around in storage and it will need a ton of cleanup work to get it going again. All of these posts point toward difficult, expensive days for us, the match competitors. Weapons skills and physical fitness are the best preps not just buying and hoarding mall ninja junk and food that will go bad before it is used. If you look at the "tactical" matches, most of the top finishers' equipment looks like its been beat to death but runs like sewing machines.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

It was time to buy a case in October, which was good timing as it turned out. I did order another case with local dealer couple weeks ago to get on the back order list with his IL. distributor with hopes the distributor will have him at the top of the list for my brand. I am not into assault type rifles or a collector or any sort. I'm happy with my rifle and pistol as don't have time or money to shoot other disciplines. I help out with cowboy action once in a while as that is a hoot sport and enjoy the folks like black powder too!
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Super Dave
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Super Dave »

I spoke to a wise, older gun shop owner in Texas yesterday. He said this was the third panic he's gone through with his gun shop. The first was when Clinton was elected, the second when Obama was elected and then this one. He thinks they last for about 6 months. He was surprised that people keep buying because he thought all the ammo he sold in the pasts panics was still sitting in people's closets.

It's good to hear from guys who have been around. I have enough ammo to get me over the hump so I'm not going out of my way to get any more.

Take care,
Dave
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Referring to the above post, in each scenario the price of ammo hasn't gone down. Yes there was panic buyin back during Clinton and now Obama, however, during those panics the price of ammo increased along with it's scarcity.

Now, it's insane as .22lr ammo appears to be headed for a 30% increase. I predict (unfortunately) it will stay at these prices.

CCI SV will be $3.59/50 or $36/brick. Recently (November) it was $2.59/50 or $25/brick.

It's not the manufacturers raising prices, it the demand. We have nobody else to blame, but, our fellow shooters. Those who excessively hoard.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I buy from a fellow whose sporting goods company operation is out of his house and he buys from several distributors. My order for match grade ammo went down $4.00 a case that I placed with him mid January. If he gets it from his IL. distributor 6 months from now, I am good. I am lucky he is in business with no overhead.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I suppose you all heve read how much ammo the DHS has bought in the last 12 months. That is the problem in more ways than one. :twisted:
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Jerry G wrote:I suppose you all heve read how much ammo the DHS has bought in the last 12 months. That is the problem in more ways than one. :twisted:
If you haven't here is the article
http://www.infowars.com/dhs-purchases-2 ... mmunition/
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Yeah they plan on using all that ammo on us !!!!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Do any of you remember about the civilian army o'bama talked about when he first ran for pres? Bigger and better equiped than the regular army!