CCI Standard Velocity - any comments?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

CCI Standard Velocity - any comments?

Post by Merlin »

Found some CCI Standard at decent prices and would like some opinions as to quality and accuracy compared to Wolf or SK standard.

Is this stuff worth buying as a practice ammo?

Thanks,

Merlin
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: CCI Standard Velocity - any comments?

Post by acorneau »

It all depends on how your rifle likes it.

Some folks with CZ's find it shoots just as well as other mid-tier ammo (SK, Wolf, RWS, etc.). For my CZ 452 it shoots pretty good, but SK Standard Plus or Norma TAC-22 is a little better.

Best to get a couple of boxes and try it out for yourself.
Allen Corneau
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Only YOUR rifle can tell you..............
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

OK... How about how does CCI Standard velocity shoot in YOUR RIFLE?

50+ years ago I knew that my Mossberg just LOVED Remington Kleanbore and only shot fair with Western SuperX or Monarch.... :D

I have zero collector rifles and actually shoot a ~dozen different rimfires.

Not trying to find the Holy Grail - just wanting some opinions.

This is what I took to the range this morning with a newly bedded WIn 52...

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Merlin wrote:OK... How about how does CCI Standard velocity shoot in YOUR RIFLE?
In my 10/22 CCI-SV would average 3/4" at 50 yards (~1.5 MOA), about the same as Eley Target and Norma TAC-22 (a.k.a.RWS Target Rifle). Eley Club would be closer to 0.65".

I don't have measured groups for CCI-SV in my CZ 452, but SK and Norma (RWS) average 1/2" at 50 yards, Eley Match 3/4", Eley Target closer to 1".

Yeah, my CZ doesn't care for Eley too much but seems to like SK/Wolf/Lapua and RWS much better.
Allen Corneau
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Thanks for that.... And thanks for the RW Target = TAC 22. :-c

TAC 22 and RW Target is going for around 650 per case and I can get the SV Standard delivered for 425.00 So - if it is comparable to the TAC 22 it seems like maybe I need to stick a case in the closet for decent plinking ammo...?

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

If you don't mind buying by the brick you can get the Norma TAC-22 from Bullets.com for around $50-55/brick, three brick maximum per order. Shipping is a flat $10 per order.

Norma Match-22 is the same as RWS Target Match. Bullets.com sells it for $75 per brick.
Allen Corneau
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Lots of folks shoot the cci sv around here for our monthly matches. Also our juniors use it for their 4p practice ammo. I think in general it rates just a bit behind standard plus in terms of quality. All that matters is how it shoots in your rifle and what your needs/expectations are tho.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

CCI SV won't chamber in some match chambers. Other then that, it is usually fairly consistent.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
22ballard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 22ballard »

Merlin, too bad so much of the ammo you pictured is obsolete. That seems like trend these days, find ammo your gun likes and the manufacturers stop making it.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

22ballard wrote:Merlin, too bad so much of the ammo you pictured is obsolete. That seems like trend these days, find ammo your gun likes and the manufacturers stop making it.
It does sometimes kinda aggravate me that you can buy the same brand of ammo and one lot # will shoot into half the group size as another.... That just ain't right... LOL

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

CCI STD is difficult to chamber in a match rifle. I have to fist bump my 54 action bolt to close it. So I avoid it in match rifles

It shoots well in SW 41, Clark 10-22, and lever rifles
- Joe
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

For me CCI Standard Velocity has been a good training ammo choice. It is harder to close my bolt and the case lubricant gums up my chamber over time. I bring a cleaning rod with me to the Range and I run a patch after about a hundred rounds. Everything is good after that.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

your rifle will let you know if you can use it. it works okay in my anschutz 64 silhouette, my cz455, my henry h001, and my marlin 39a. i had to get sight adjustments for the cci sv ammo. it shoots a different point of aim from my match ammo. makes good practice ammo at a lower cost. on the anschutz and cz the heavy wax lube after several shots starts to gum up the chamber opening. i use a q-tip to clean it out and shoot on. in the lever guns it does not gum up.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I won't shoot CCI SV in my 1712 because it's hard to chamber and it shoots just so-so. When it chambers hard, I'm thinking, 'this can't be good for locking lugs'. So I save it for my SW 41

I'd recommend SK STD+. Cathy has it for $530 a case. DEAL
- Joe