Military Rifle Silhouette, Ridgway 2016

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bwake
B Poster
B Poster

Military Rifle Silhouette, Ridgway 2016

Post by Bwake »

Several years ago The Ridgway Rifle Club was running iron sighted military rifle matches on the high power silhouette range based on the NRA rule book. After it became apparent that the NRA had no interest in administering military rifles as a separate discipline, we revamped these matches into our own club level event based on our own rules to allow more diversity in rifles as well as shooting styles.

Although successful, I observed that some of our shooters were not hardcore competition shooters which suggested to me that the focus of this program ought to be more on promoting shooting for relatively inexperienced and budget-minded folks

So last year the second iteration was born. Now there are two classes as before: traditional NRA standing and any position (including bench). Rifles can run the gamut from black powder single shots to the black rifles of today provided they're not too far removed from their military configuration. The range commands and match protocol have been greatly simplified in order to make the matches more relaxed, yet safe. The idea was that less match pressure would translate to a more fun experience, and based on the increased participation I noticed, this worked.

For anyone who liking the idea shooting the classic battle rifles of the past, or someone desiring an easy entryway into competitive shooting, these matches are for you. I invite anyone interested to come and join us here in Northwestern PA on May 15, August 14 and October 16.

- Brian Wakefield
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Military Rifle Silhouette, Ridgway 2016

Post by Taps »

G'day Brian
We started shooting a Service Rifle Class here down-under. Rules require that it is shot with an "as issued to general troops" rifle. No sniper models, standard battle sights and due to our "National" gun laws we can only use bolt actions. After an initial high interest period it is now hardly ever shot. Using old worn-out, rusted out ex-service rifles is pretty much for sh#ts and giggles. Unless you want to pay upwards of $2000 for an immaculate, never issued example. With the cost of ammo nowadays, even reloading is around $1/shot, shooting 40 shot matches for single digit scores at the end of the day, people lost interest pretty quick. There were suggestions of changing the rules on shooting positions, shoot chickens and pigs off-hand, any field position for the rest. Also suggested allowing as issued slings, all were met with a firm "NO" from the hierarchy. :-??
Taps
45bpcr
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 45bpcr »

Can I shoot it with a Swedish Mauser ? :-)

Craig
Live Free Or Die
Bwake
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Bwake »

To 45bpcr:
Oh yes. A Swedish Mauser would be just the ticket. I'm pretty sure the guy holding the range record for bolt action was shooting one. If you are handloading, try the 139-142 grain boat tail match bullets that the high power folks like so well. Those bullets should take the rams down. Don't try jacking up the velocity beyond what the rifle can handle. Back when I played with the 6.5x55, there seemed to be a knockdown sweet spot in the 2400 fps range.
- Brian