Scope problems Vari-X lll

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

Scope problems Vari-X lll

Post by Mike 3-4 »

Hi: I have a 6.5 x 20 Vari-X III EFR around 15 years old that just won't track anymore from my zeros.
I sent it back to the factory 3 times last year for repair and yesterday it happened again at 2 moa off.
Have any of you had this problem also? Everything is tight and torqued at 25 fp. Will Leupold make good on their warranty?
Thanks, Phil
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Scope problems Vari-X lll

Post by thauglor »

I thought rings were supposed to be at 15 in-lbs. They will honor the warranty.
Last edited by thauglor on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mike 3-4 »

I'm using a Warne base and rings and have one of their Torx drivers which indicates 25 In.Lb., so that is where my spec.came from. Guess I didn't think about the scope. Anyone else like to input?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Scopes are torqued to inch/pounds. No need to go over 15 for steel or al rings. Base to action at 25 and rings to base at 20.

I have been shooting 3 Dick Thomas bumped VXIIIs for many years and have never had a problem.One has been on my HP for over 20 years.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

The only way to confirm it's the scope is install another one and if the problem doesn't happen in the time frame you are normally experiencing it in then it's the scope. Odd that they have had it 3 times in a year but anything is possible...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Yeah that 25 in lbs sounds like what I do for my base to rifle. I think I use 13 for the rings holding the scope. You aren't changing any of the screw tensions are you? That will affect the zero.

If you re-zero it does it hold that new zero?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mike 3-4 »

Hi: Once I get my 100 yard zero..it holds until I use the turret again. Never touched the windage turret last time out.
When I bought the scope in 1994..1/4 moa.adjustment would change my point of impact on a calm day.
My handloads will shoot 1/2 moa. if I'm having a good day..on a bad day that may be a 1 round group.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Have you got your scope installed level. If it is not, the scope will track either left or right depending which way it leans as you change from chickens on out to rams. Level the scope and see if your problem persists. Remember, 15 inch/lbs on the scope rings. Those fine threads are not very tough and the scope tube is made of al.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

How close are your rings to your turrets? Rings that are too close to the turret housing will cause windage and elevation adjustments to stick, kind of grab and then function for a few clicks. I have an ancient Vari-X on my springer and it only had to go back once to Leupold because of wear from years of constant use.