CCI Quite at 100 meters

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

CCI Quite at 100 meters

Post by snaketail2 »

I have a collection of various .22 ammo that I take to the range with me when I want to "test" my rifle. I scrubbed the bore of my 39a with Remington Bore Cleaner and took my collection and the rifle to the range.

Many of the ammo I tried worked just fine (one exception is the Winchester 42gr Hollow Point- still, just awful), BUT one box of CCI Quite ammo surprised me - I shot a one ragged hole group at 50 yards! I can't speak to the quietness - I was the only non-223 rifle at the range that day. But, one hole! Let's call it a 1/4" group.
My go-to ammo in the 39A has been Tac-22 - Its best group was 3/4" - "scoped/bench/slow fire" - OK, but not "One Hole"

I did not have the opportunity to try the CCI Quite ammo at any other distance. I've read it is only accurate to 50 yards - Any comments on accuracy at 75 and 100 meters?

The day produced two surprises (A) CCI Quite is very accurate for the short line and (B) Remington Bore Scrub will bring back some of the accuracy the rifle has lost.

How does CCI Quite perform at 75 and 100 meters?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: CCI Quite at 100 meters

Post by Doodaddy »

I can't speak to the accuracy at 100 yards, but you'll incur about an extra 10" drop in trajectory and half the energy compared to CCI Standard Velocity or SK Standard Plus at that distance. If you have the adjustment to compensate for the needed elevation and can afford the reduction in energy (still kill your target or knock over the ram), go see how your rifle likes it. Otherwise I would just keep the target you shot with it.

I've generally had bad luck with the super slow rounds at any distance.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

You will be better off using the standard velocity ammo for the silhouette matches. The last thing you want to happen is: to ring a smallbore target with the subsonic ammo. You want to use the standard velocity because it will knock down the targets. The subsonic rounds are a guarantee.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:54 am I have a collection of various .22 ammo that I take to the range with me when I want to "test" my rifle. I scrubbed the bore of my 39a with Remington Bore Cleaner and took my collection and the rifle to the range.

(Snip....)
MB-

I've no experience with the CCI Quiet, however you've my curiosity picqued regarding the Remy Bore Scrub... Is this the one you used (link below)? That's the only one I could find with the Remington brand:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46637 ... oz-aerosol

Thanks in advance,

:ymcowboy:

- Tim

PS/FWIW - back when I only had a smallbore Cowboy Rifle, I did try some of the 60gr Aguila SSS one day and was surprised it shot a decent group at 100 (2-3" at 100, iirc). However it didn't take down the PCCLA ram any better than the Federal 510 Champion 40g HV stuff I was already using at the time, so I didn't pursue it any further.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Tim:
The bore cleaner is "40-X Bore Cleaner" by Remington. A paste similar to JB Bore cleaner, but not as thick. /www.midwayusa.com/product/599547/reming ... -oz-liquid
Instructions tell you to finish with a oily patch - so you have to remember to dry-patch the rifle before shooting it again.

I'd shot 60 rounds of coated lead bullets and wanted to get the coating out of the bore. Used it in the .22 also. I found that AutoMatch and Tac-22 produced similar results - the kind of results I was getting 2 years ago!

More testing this week at longer ranges.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Went back to the range today - yes, in the face of Hurricane Harvey (exceptionally clear sky today!)

To make it a fair test I scrubbed the bore again with Remington 40-X Bore Cleaner - carefully following the instructions on the bottle. And making sure the bore was clear of oil before I shot.

The CCI Quite still grouped well at 50 yards. As did CCI Standard Velocity and Tac-22 = all equal at 50 yards.
At 75 yards the CCI Quite fell behind. CCI Standard Vel and Tac-22 were clearly the winners at 75 yards
At 100 yards the CCI Quiet seemed to have a "modified choke" look. The CCI Standard Vel and Tac-22 were about equal.
At the end of the range session I felt my best performance came from the Norma Tac-22 - accuracy and energy...(And Norma just announced a price cut for that ammo too!)

So what did I learn - when I start blaming the rifle and/or ammo for missing the target I should clean the rifle.

Michael
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

At 100 yards the CCI Quiet seemed to have a "modified choke" look.

This should not be a surprise to anyone.