Switching ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Switching ammo

Post by DavidABQ »

I get Remington bulk for $27-$30 for 525. That fancy European stuff is like $35-$40 or more for only 500 rounds.

Too rich for my blood. **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Hmm.. for a 40-shot match, you shoot about 20 shots or so for sight-in plus the shots for score? That makes about 60 shots or so total. If you spend $30 for 525 of the Remington Golden Poop Pellets, that's 5.71 cents per shot. If you spend $400 per case of 5000 for the Norma Match, that's 8 cents per shot. That means that it costs $3.43 per match using the Remington Golden Poop Pellets and $4.80 per match using the Norma Match ammo, or $1.37 more per match to use ammo that will actually hit the target much more consistently. When comparing that small different to the overall cost of the rifle, scope, mounts, gas to make it to the match and back, and everything else that it takes to shoot a match, it's completely worth it to use decent ammo.

I'm not saying that everyone should use the $10+ per box of 50 rounds Lapua or Eley match stuff, but unless you are shooting in the low end of B class with a $40 rifle with a $10 scope that you found in the bargain barrel of the local pawn shop and are shooting at a range close enough that you can walk to it then you shouldn't be using crap ammo. It's a $1.37 difference and I guarantee you that it costs you points if you are shooting 1/5 scale targets in smallbore standard and hunter class, no matter what your classification.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Hmmmm, food for thought. I hope to attend the sb nationals at The Whittington Center this July. Perhaps I should try some of the more expensive stuff on the shelf at my LGS. I will have to look because I remember there being stuff costing $15-$20 for a box of 50.

Something to consider. Thank you.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:36 am Hmmmm, food for thought. I hope to attend the sb nationals at The Whittington Center this July. Perhaps I should try some of the more expensive stuff on the shelf at my LGS. I will have to look because I remember there being stuff costing $15-$20 for a box of 50.

Something to consider. Thank you.
It probably does cost that for a box of 50 at your LGS. It doesn't in the right places online. In addition to the Norma Match link above:

http://goodshootinginc.com/index.php?productID=770
http://goodshootinginc.com/index.php?productID=792
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I think DavidABQ is just joking with you about the Remington ammo.
Confess David.
You just wanted to see who would take the bait and run with it.
Just like the Fudd thread. :lol:
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I think he likely was joking also, but there are lots who read threads here who may be just getting started. These threads also stay around and can be read years later, so it's good that all those new eyes have the information to get started correctly.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Ammo is the cheapest part of shooting a match. Rifle and scope is a big one time expense. Entry fees and transportation to and from a match is no minor item. Oh I forgot....... the frustration of missing the target with a box full of ammo that has 20% flyers has to be right up there too.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Fudd thread. =)) I wanted how long Jerry would go.

I disagree with Jerry about ammo being the cheapest part. For a single match, sure he is correct but if you include live fire practice and now look at a period of several years. Now ammo can be a major cost. Rifles and scopes are paid for once, but ammo is a recurring cost that over time will exceed the hardware costs.
b-(
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I'd be content if I could find someone to split a case with.Image
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image