New SK Flatnose

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

New SK Flatnose

Post by Doodaddy »

Sounds pretty interesting.

http://www.sk-ammunition.com/en/news/16
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: New SK Flatnose

Post by acorneau »

Cool.

I already use SK Standard Plus for Silhouette and paper target shooting. I wonder if the flat nose will make cleaner holes in paper like wadcutter pellets do versus round-nose pellets (10m targets, etc.). I also wonder what the pricing will be.

Adam... where are you Adam?
Allen Corneau
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

comic picture removed.....nothing to see here. :wink:
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Bob Mc Alice wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am Well, there was no picture of the new products on that link. So...I was able to hack into the SK Research and Development lab computer photos. Bingo, I found the prototype ammo pictures! :-$
Lol Good one Bob!

:))
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Good job goo roo. You're the man.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

A man of many talents! :lol:
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I have read and re read several times the informational write up on this new ammo. It makes no sense to me . It seems this ammo was intended for rifle shooting at paper targets to 50 meters maximum. Someone explain how a "flat tip projectile optimizes ballistic properties which improves precision." What exactly does that mean? :? The following sentence is plain confusing and weird.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I found this info concerning Eley's Tenex which features a flat nose...
With nearly 1000 variables charted, the engineers addressed bullet and case design. Bullet design was analyzed with sophisticated computer modelling for in-flight characteristics. They discovered that a flatnose projectile was distinctly better for subsonic velocities out to 50 meters. The reason is that bullet stability is enhanced the more forward the center of pressure (air-pressure resistance) is located forward of the center of gravity of the bullet, and roundnose bullets do not “push” the center of pressure as far forward. (Incidentally, the small “pip” visible in the center of current TenEx bullets is not a ballistic feature; it’s the result of an air pocket in the mold that allows the sharp-cornered edges of the nose to form fully.)
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammun ... ey_101405/

From the Eley website...
The iconic flat nose projectile of ELEY tenex is one of many innovations pioneered by ELEY engineers. As it cuts through the air its revolutionary design pulls the centre of pressure forwards, aerodynamically stabilizing the projectile and increasing accuracy at the target.
So, there ya' go.
Allen Corneau
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

acorneau wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 pm I found this info concerning Eley's Tenex which features a flat nose...
With nearly 1000 variables charted, the engineers addressed bullet and case design. Bullet design was analyzed with sophisticated computer modelling for in-flight characteristics. They discovered that a flatnose projectile was distinctly better for subsonic velocities out to 50 meters. The reason is that bullet stability is enhanced the more forward the center of pressure (air-pressure resistance) is located forward of the center of gravity of the bullet, and roundnose bullets do not “push” the center of pressure as far forward. (Incidentally, the small “pip” visible in the center of current TenEx bullets is not a ballistic feature; it’s the result of an air pocket in the mold that allows the sharp-cornered edges of the nose to form fully.)
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammun ... ey_101405/

From the Eley website...
The iconic flat nose projectile of ELEY tenex is one of many innovations pioneered by ELEY engineers. As it cuts through the air its revolutionary design pulls the centre of pressure forwards, aerodynamically stabilizing the projectile and increasing accuracy at the target.
So, there ya' go.
I'd be curious to see the difference with the addition of that nipple on the EPS bullet. I'm not sure what year it was added, but I assume they added it for a reason. I've got some older Eley Tenex and Benchrest Gold that are round nosed and not the EPS shape. Shoots pretty well despite the flaky wax.

What I find most interesting is that this looks like it's an SK exclusive development. I would have figured a design change like this would have trickled down from the Lapua line, but I can't find any reference to a new bullet or ammo line for Lapua. I would guess that this will be along the lines of Center X pricing being flagship of SK. I don't know. Pure speculation.

Anxiously awaiting a full write up or a word from Adam. :ymdaydream:
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I corresponded with Adam Braverman this weekend asking about this new ammo. He said...
The Flatnose rounds will not be here until May-June time frame. Pricing is a little higher than the corresponding Stan Plus and Match.
So there ya' go.
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

About 9 or 10 years ago one of the big defense companies sent out different projectile shapes to the Aerospace engineering graduate schools for research purposes. I think to qualify to receive these projectiles the requirement was that the school had to have a working wind tunnel. I do not remember if they had to have a supersonic wind tunnel, a subsonic wind tunnel or both. I just remember Masters level and PhD level grad students seriously working with these shapes in the labs. The projectiles were a high grade of solid aluminum and a little bigger than your fist if I remember correctly. The two shapes that were not in the group were the flat nose tip and the flat nose with the dimple. Many different shapes of round nose and different O-gives were in the group though.
I wonder why no flat nose or dimpled flat nose shapes were included in that research project?
22ballard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 22ballard »

A friend who is a very serious bench-rest shooter (travels all around the country shooting in the money matches) told me several months ago that Lapua was getting very serious about competing with Eley. I understand that Eley ammo has ruled the rimfire bench-rest scene for a long time and Lapua wants to take over. Maybe this is part of the plan? I will definitely try out some of this ammo when it becomes available. FYI, tho the Eley EPS/Tenex ammo was designed for 50 meter shooting, there are some .22BPCR shooters that are doing quite well with it. Note that the far .22BPCR targets are at 150 and 200 meters.
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

Interesting information about bullet nose shape. I used to use Winchester Subsonic ammo, which has a wide hollow point bullet. That ammo shot amazingly well. Now I am wondering if that flat nosed bullet had an aerodynamic advantage? I have no idea if the Winchester Subsonic ammo with 40 grain HP bullet is still available.
Mark