Hello

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Hutch
B Poster
B Poster

Hello

Post by Hutch »

Hi guys, I've been looking around the forum here for about a week now and just decided to register to ask for some help and ask a question that you've all been asked 1000 times. A friend wants me to start shooting and I'am going to my first match Saturday, not to shoot this time but to check it out and try to find out what gun I need to buy. Looks like alot of fun so far and haven't even got started except a lot of reading. Hope to join the club.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Welcome! And why just watch the match? Someone will probably loan you a rifle so you can start Saturday!
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I agree with blaubear. Just shoot it, with whatever rifle is available! IMO, watching doesn't help much.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Hutch, this is about fun and shooting is more fun than watching! At least in our club we ride each other all the time but problems are an invitation to coaching and encouragement and that can feel pretty good.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Hutch,
I haven't found a silhouette shooter that isn't willing to loan a rifle yet. Gotta try it man, there are so many different rilfes, scopes to try...just not enough time to shoot em all.

Welcome to the forum.

Innocent Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

Innocent wrote:Innocent Mary
Now-There's an Oxymoron
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Gator wrote
Now-There's an OxyMORON
Can you imagine that??? A fellow Florida cracker not only moves north but calls a fine young southern lady a moron.....

Innocent

stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

OxyMoron?

Post by stsbuyer »

Innocent wrote:Gator wrote
Now-There's an OxyMORON
Can you imagine that??? A fellow Florida cracker not only moves north but calls a fine young southern lady a moron.....

Innocent
NOUN:
pl. ox
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Paul,
Why do you take me so seriously???? C'mon, gotta pick on the former FL cracker (traitor) although I must admit I understand why he moved north.

Innocent

Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

[/quote]Kind of like metioning me and Master class in same sentence! Very Contradictory. Darn that was a big word.

BTW you are a master right?

Innocent

stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

Innocent wrote:
Kind of like metioning me and Master class in same sentence! Very Contradictory. Darn that was a big word.

BTW you are a master right?

Innocent
[/quote]

Mary,

Yes I am master in samllbore hunter, but you could not prove it by my scores the last 6 months. I manage a master score about 3-4 times a year. But of course they were not at any of the big matches. I think the best I have done in any of the bigger matches is a 28 this year. I shoot blind hog style, get luck every once in a while.

Paul

Paul

Paul
papabear
A Poster
A Poster

Post by papabear »

Poor Hutch, he is now confused how his innocent question about our sport got turned around into another topic. I'll tell you something, I think that is the norm for this forum. That's the way I like it. It's like a box of chocolates, you'll never know what is in a topic until you read the whole thing.

I will try my best to answer your question after I reply to Paul's comment about shooting out of class. Being in a class, be it Master, AAA ,AA,A jonly means that there was a point in your life that you shot the minimum for that class at least three times. It could be yesterday or decades ago. You could have a good spotter then, because we all know it all in the spotter. Hold,Trigger pull and follow through is just minor inconvenience.

Now, to answer Hutch's question---- what is his question again?
PaPaBeAr

I'm confused...
Wait...
Maybe I am not.
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

Hutch,

Papabears right you will have to excuss me for getting off topic. It is a bad habit for a lot of us here.

To answer your question you are right you need to go to the match and see what everyone is shooting. But I doubt that your friend wants you to show up and just watch. You wait and see most anyone there will be offering guns and ammo to you to try. Try as many as you can and just have fun, don't worry about how many you hit.

Good luck and welcome to silhouette,

Paul Freeman
Hutch
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hutch »

Thanks - What was my question. At least you have fun on this forum, more than I can say for some. I will ask this, I know I will be buying a Anschutz not sure what model. How much if any can be done to gun in either class. As far as shock/barrel.
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Rules

Post by stsbuyer »

Hutch wrote:Thanks - What was my question. At least you have fun on this forum, more than I can say for some. I will ask this, I know I will be buying a Anschutz not sure what model. How much if any can be done to gun in either class. As far as shock/barrel.
Take a look at the changes for 2007
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules/rul_ ... fle_07.pdf

Here is a link to the NRA rule book.
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/ ... -index.pdf

Now for the basics
Smallbore standard rifle
Maximum of a 30" barrel, any safe trigger weight as long as no release triggers, target style stocks no more than 7" drop at the toe, comb no higher than centerline of bore. Maximum weight 10lb 2 oz.

Smallbore hunting rifle.
No target stocks or thumbholes allow, but can have same check piece and comb messurments. Barrel has to have taper from chamber to muzzel. Minimum or 2lb trigger, max length of barrel is 26" max weight of 8.5#'s.

Custom barrels and stocks are allowed in both classes.

Good luck, Paul