Stock design

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

Stock design

Post by fwt1712 »

I'm after some feedback on McMillan stock designs for building a heavy class gun. I'll be using either a RemXR100 or Rem700 and #5 profile @ 24"-25" in 6.5x47Lapua. I don't like too much weight out front, preferring a balance point around the front lug. I use Anschutz in rimfire (an FWT1712) and air (2025 HiPower) so am biasing that way i.e. standard Anschutz pattern, but am not sure if one of the thumbhole stocks might give a bit better control i.e. Anschutz thumbhole or Richard King style. Thanks Nigel.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I use a Mcmillan Anschutz (non thumbhole) for SB and am very comfortable with it, although I'm very dissapointed in the quality. Returned to Mcmillan for correcting the action fit, but they ignored my request to check the barrel chanel which was cut offline. The barrell touched one side while other had 1/8" clearence. They did however, tell me how much there milling machines cost and that they had tolerance to within X thousnads of an inch. Perhaps they should have used a ruler.

For HP I use an HS Precision Thumbhole which has geat quality and customer service, but I prefer the McMillan Anschutz for fit and comfort.

My advice is try as many stocks as you can while at matches before making a decision. What works for me may not work for you.

Ken
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

HP Stock

Post by stsbuyer »

Nigel,

Here is a picture of my High Power hunter. It has a Mark Pharr RT/s stock, 6.5 x 47 Lapua chamber, Krieger #5 1-8 twist barrel 25-1/2" long, Talley 30mm rings, Leupold 6.5 x 20 LR scope, and Jewell HVR 2# trigger. This combination gives me a gun that is 1oz under the weight limit of 9#'s. I like the balance and shoot it for standard and hunter. Your best bet is to try and make a match and ask to try some of the different stocks available. Most everyone you meet will be glad to let you try there equipment.
Good, Luck,
Paul