CCI Green Tag Vs CCI Standard Vel

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

CCI Green Tag Vs CCI Standard Vel

Post by snaketail2 »

On paper these two are identical. How do they compare on the range?
I suspect Green Tag is the "target" version of Standard Vel, but I'm used to being wrong.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: CCI Green Tag Vs CCI Standard Vel

Post by Jason »

You're correct in guessing that "green tag" is supposed to be the target or match version of standard velocity, but my experience with it is that it's definitely not any better than standard velocity and is sometimes worse. Neither shoots all that great for me in rifles or pistols with true match chambers, at least compared to Lapua/SK and Eley. One of the positive aspects of CCI relative to real match ammo is that CCI ammo usually has driving bands on the bullets a bit farther forward than Lapua/SK and Eley. This can make them harder to chamber at all in match rifles and some match pistols, but they actually reach the lands on some non-match chambers and can shoot better than Lapua/SK and Eley in those rifles/pistols. My Ruger 22/45 that I use for bullseye pistol is an example of that. One of my CZ 452s was also an example that shot one particular lot of CCI standard velocity better than other, much more expensive ammo.

To circle back to your original question, though, even those two that shot CCI standard velocity very well didn't shoot as well with the CCI green tag ammo that I tried. It's possible that it was just an issue with that lot of green tag, but I don't think so. My opinion is that green tag is a waste of money. If you're going to spend that much money on 22lr target ammo, you can get SK rifle match, Eley Edge, possibly Lapua Center-X, and many other much higher quality ammo types. I have also heard of CCI select precision 22lr ammo that seems to be cheaper than green tag, but I don't have any experience with it myself and haven't heard enough opinions from people that I know personally and trust to relay any of those opinions.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

In rifles that will shoot CCI SV well (non match chambered guns) I have never noticed a decernable difference. Especially not a 400% price difference....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Green tag does not shoot well in any of my guns.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member