SK Flatnose ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: SK Flatnose ammo

Post by snaketail2 »

Charlie -
The point of impact was not higher. The findings were that I needed to dial in less elevation to be on-target. I usually shoot Wolf Match Extra (Or whatever it will be called now) or Norma Tac22. The flatnose required less turns of elevation to be "on" at 75 and 100 yards than the others.

Rim thickness - I stopped measuring that long ago. I shoot lever action silhouette and "bench rest" accuracy is not required: Old man, Leber-action gun, Iron sights, Standing, Big targets - precision shooting not really needed.

Others may have a better answer.

BTW - I would use SK Flatnose at the Lever Gun Nationals, if I could find more. Perhaps I'll come back to it in the future, when it is more available.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Revisited SK Flatnose this weekend with a handgun. The Nelson .22 conversion for 1911 has a match chamber, red-dot optics and the Kimber has an excellent trigger.
Unfortunately the Flatnose ammo didn't perform as well as Norma Tac22 .
Indoor range, 25 yards, offhand. Flatnose groups were apx 3" wide and equally high of target center. Three FTEs
Norma showed 1" groups, centered, with no issues.
Sometimes you just cant buy accuracy.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Maybe the Flat nose does not like being shot out of a pistol. I need to order a brick to try.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Ken:
I believe you are correct. They shot much better from a 24" barrel - not good enough to cover their cost, but better than a 5" barrel.
M