SK Biathlon ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

SK Biathlon ammo

Post by Ken Green »

At this Saturday's smallbore match, I had a few rounds of the SK Magazine ammo hitting the rail and not the body of the animal. I have also been hearing that other shooters have been having the same problems.

I shot 30 rounds of the SK magazine ammo through the chronograph. I did not shoot for any type of group size.
There were 2 low shots out of the 30 rounds. They were 975 and 989.
The other rounds were between 1010 and 1081. The lo: 975, high: 1081, avg: 1035, ES: 106 and SD: 22

By removing the 975 and 989 from the group, it was a little closer. Lo: 1010, High: 1081, Avg: 1039, ES:71, SD: 18

With 28 rounds having a spread of 71 FPS, that is not very consistent ammo. It is hard to win a match with the ammo not grouping as tight as it should. With the SK Magazine ammo not performing like it should and having some under powder rounds, has any body tried the SK Biathlon ammo?

I ordered 2 bricks of it today from Cathy at Good Shooting.

When it comes in, I plan on firing 30 rounds through the chronograph and for group size at the same time. I will also do this with the SK Magazine ammo for a comparision. Thanks Ken
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: SK Biathlon ammo

Post by Jason »

Maybe you should try ammo that isn't designed for shooting in the cold but are going to be trying it in nearly summer in Louisiana. It's designed to shoot in cold weather like standard target ammo does in not-so-cold weather. It likely may go slightly supersonic in warm weather, which will be disastrous for accuracy since it will transition to subsonic not far after it leaves the muzzle. You should start with SK Standard+ and Rifle Match before you go to biathlon ammo. If it's not shipped yet, call Good Shooting and ask for advice about changing to something more appropriate for your needs.

Have you tested any other ammo out of the same rifle for consistency in velocity and accuracy?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Sorry, no experience with Biatholon but I agree with Jason that it may not perform well for you given what it's designed for.

SK Standard Plus is my baseline ammo for practice and club matches but use SK Rifle Match for bigger state/regional matches. It doesn't keep me from making bad shots but it does give me a little more confidence that I won't loose a point because of ammo variances.

Another one to consider trying would be the new SK Flatnose Basic, but it's going to cost a little more than Standard Plus.

If you really want to take ammo out of the equation then you'll have to step up to Center-X or something similar.

:ymcowboy:
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

In years past some of the faster ammo has performed well in the heat and humidity of southeast Louisiana and coastal Mississippi. Humidity will slow the bullet down but in a different part of the trajectory. It is just my opinion but my prediction is if it is not subsonic out of the muzzle it will be subsonic within a foot or two of exiting the muzzle. After living in this humidity so long the brain stops "seeing" the water vapor in the air. After we spend a week shooting in the western states, we come back home and see huge amounts of water in the air in just a 40 meter distance. That humidity has to have an effect on the velocity of the bullet.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I did talk with Cathy at Good Shooting. She told me that she has never shot it above 80, it does get a little slick in the warmer temperatures that should be OK as far as shooting. I cancelled the 2 bricks of the Biathon ammo. She is putting together a brick or two of different ammo for me to test. It will be interesting to she what she ships to me.