CCI Sub-Sonic HP vs CCI Standard Vel

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

CCI Sub-Sonic HP vs CCI Standard Vel

Post by snaketail2 »

Has anyone testes these against each other. The HP is 20-fps slower, but is said to "engage the rifling". Just wondering if Standard Velocity is better?

(I'm still looking for Jedi mind-control bullets. Eley Force had potential, but didn't live up to expectations - either "The Force" wasn't with me or the mind-control thing isn't working for me.)
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Re: CCI Sub-Sonic HP vs CCI Standard Vel

Post by pistolero45 »

I've been testing ammo and keeping records since 1997. And here is a little bit of an answer for you. These were 20 shot groups fired at 100 meters from a concrete bench. The range is in a valley and wind is negligible.

CCI Standard velocity. Tested 3/8/07, temp 27 to 37 degrees, wind 4 to 7 mph. Remington 540xr = 2.55 inches. Ruger 10/22 = 2.52 inches.

I tested eleven types of match .22 shells that day and the clear winner was SK Standard Plus which measured 1.14 and 1.67 inches.

Other match .22 shells which have tested well for me are: Lapua Master M (<1 inch), Aguila Pistol Match, Federal Gold Match, Federal Auto-Match .22, Winchester Subsonic, and Wolf Match Target.

It is worth noting that most .22 shells show a preference for ambient temperature range as well.
Mark
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

OK, I give up. What is velocity of the CCI standard vel?
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

"OK, I give up. What is velocity of the CCI standard vel?"

The CCI Standard Velocity chronographed 1065 fps in my Remington 540xr, and 1039 fps in a stock Ruger 10/22.
Mark
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

And that is sub-sonic.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I tested these two yesterday - not much difference. Almost the same point of impact and group sizes similar.

Also retested SK Flatnose. The light must have been different last time - the Flatnose shot a nice tiny groups at 50, 75 & 100 yards this time.
Will use more when available.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

snaketail2 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:52 am I tested these two yesterday - not much difference. Almost the same point of impact and group sizes similar.

Also retested SK Flatnose. The light must have been different last time - the Flatnose shot a nice tiny groups at 50, 75 & 100 yards this time.
Will use more when available.
M
SK Flatnose basic shot sub half inch at 100 meters for me in my Stiller. I was beyond shocked at how good it shot for me.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image