Anyone Familiar With Tasco Custom Shop Scopes?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Anyone Familiar With Tasco Custom Shop Scopes?

Post by Scrench »

I found a used Tasco Custom Shop 8-40X56 for sale, stamped Made in Japan, at least 20 years old, being sold by the original owner who says he's never had problems with it and the glass is clear. Anybody familiar with these, and what is it worth?

Thanks!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Anyone Familiar With Tasco Custom Shop Scopes?

Post by atomicbrh »

Cons:
1. The owner of the only company that could repair these died last year. The name of the company was ABOUSA.
2. The scope has 1/8 MOA clicks.
3. The scope has a very, very small range of adjustment on both windage and elevation.
4. Because of #3 above most of these scopes have been destroyed by people turning up the elevation knob too far and breaking the scope.
5. Once the elevation knob was turned too far just turning it back down did not make it work. It had to be sent in for repair.
6. Because of #3 above the scopes required very meticulous, patient shimming to make them work in the adjustment range for most silhouette disciplines. I am talking .001" incremental shimming to get that range just right and not destroy the scope. The exception would be Open Air Rifle with that discipline's flat shooting pellet.
7. Large objective bell prevents low mounting if you like your scopes mounted low.
8. If memory serves me correctly they would not focus down to the 20 yard air rifle chicken.

Pros:
1. Most of the ones I looked through had good clear lenses and good optical quality.
2. Most reticles were a very usable 1/4 MOA Dot with a fine straight crosshair that seemed just right for me even with the poor vision in my right eye.
3. Large turret knobs if you like large knobs.
4. 8 or 10 to 40 Variable magnification. That magnification range scope is no longer manufactured in a 1 inch tube by any of the scope manufacturers.
5. Actually produced by HAKKO in the day a top Japanese optics maker.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Anyone Familiar With Tasco Custom Shop Scopes?

Post by atomicbrh »

Scrench, your PM is not working for me.
Did you see this reply?