45gr CCI Suppressor ammo for lever guns?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

45gr CCI Suppressor ammo for lever guns?

Post by snaketail2 »

Have any of you tried the “new” CCI Suppressor 45gr .22LR ammo?
It is a lead hollow point that is said to open up at low velocity – the bullet has a reported muzzle speed of 970fps. I take this to mean soft lead that would, and as Tim Lee describes it “Have a “Spit wad affect” upon impact of a steel target.

My 24” Henry likes CCI SV. And, as I’m always searching for the “Magic Bullet” I’m curious how this one works on Lever Action targets.

Any success on Pistol Cartridge targets too? Published reports say it is fairly accurate – well within a minute of chicken accuracy and around 2” at 100 yards.

I’d rather hear about its performance from someone who shoots the same game as me – some Internet reviewers are not well informed.

How does is rank in the “magic bullet” scoring?

Michael
download.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 45gr CCI Suppressor ammo for lever guns?

Post by TheBugFather »

Michael, I'm trying this out now and a few others.
Accuracy for this one has been very good so far.
Worked well in the wind, not sure if it has any extra pushing power like I experience with other lead loads.
Federal makes the same, but it is copper coated and doesn't seem to have as good accuracy as this one.
just wished they added an extra 100 fps, time will tell.
Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

There are calculators online that you can work out the energy between ammo with speed vs weight. The big factor is hollow point sometimes will "shatter" on the rams as opposed to transfer energy.

As with anything, if it isn't accurate in YOUR rifle, all the energy in the world doesn't matter... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Range test yesterday.

Sighted the Henry in with CCI Std Vel 40gr then switched to Winchester 45gr Supper Suppressor - no cleaning between.
Discovered that at 100 yards the 45gr Win was hitting the same point of impact as the CCI Std Vel - with no elevation change.

The Winchester is 45gr round nose solid rated at 1060 FPS, the CCI Std Vel is rated at 1070 FPS. The extra 5 grains of lead may offer some advantage with the 100 yard rams. Will test at the Austin match next weekend (not sure 5 grains extra will make a difference, but the .22 Mag is back at Henry for a barrel issue.)

I will shoot the 40gr CCIs at everything until I get to Rams, then switch to the 45gr Winchesters.

I'll report my findings after the Sunday match.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

A 22 bullet with a MV of 1080 won't take a 3/8 size ram down at 100M? My 22 pistol will knock down 1/4 thick 1/2 size rams at 100M.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

.22LR is marginal for Pistol Cartridge, You have 50/50chance of ringing rams at 100 yards.
Yesterday I used the new 45gr Winchester .22LR round and knocked over every ram I hit. Didn't win, but felt like the 45gr did its job well. Will use again.

Michael
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Michael, thanks for the report.
I have both that I bought 6 months ago, I haven't been able to test the Winchesters yet.
The CCI 45gr was very accurate.
Federal has a copper plated version, but I'm a little leery of them.

Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.