What do you typically do, when

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

What do you typically do, when

Post by DavidABQ »

What does a reloaded do when they purchase a new product, Nosler Bullets in this case, that is not in their reloading book or on their online reloading data?

Ask for load data from the manufacturer and hope for the best?

Start excessively low and keep adding powder until the bolt handle is difficult to open?

I have now reloaded a total of 50 rounds so I am very new at this.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Re: What do you typically do, when

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I generally have an idea when I buy them....HA!

But, what do you have David, maybe if you elaborate, someone else has tried them before and has some results?

Quickload can be a real help if the bullet is in his base.

The manufacturer or the online loading manuals sometimes have new info.

If you can't find any info, measure the lands driving length on the bullet and compare it to others you can get data on and start low---be conservative for sure. You can get a reasonable measurement using a sized case and spinning it on the bullet so it leaves a line around the circumference. Then measure that to the boattail junction or base and compare it to another bullet of the same weight. That will at lease give you an idea if the area riding on the lands is roughly the same or quite a bit different. If the new bullet has more area, it will likely create more resistance=higher pressure. Generally it seems when comparing two bullets of the same weight, an all copper bullet will have more area and than a traditional copper jacket/lead core bullet. That is where I have seen quite a bit of difference.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Also, I'm not a fan of adding powder until the bolt opens hard--I don't do it. If I want to work up loads, I will use a chronograph to get an idea---there are methods using a chronograph that are useful for sure, but not bomb proof.

Flat primers and still bolt lift can fool you---many rifles will take over pressure loads and the bolt will still open easily. Overly sized cases will cause flat primers---I would not use stiff bolt lift or flat primers as indicators.

I like the chronograph methods when I have no data---but I'm very cautious with all of it----an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Thank you. I sent an email to the manufacturer of the bullets and I am awaiting an answer. I figure I am,using their most current edition of their book and it is their bullets so they should know what load data to use. I may even break down and call then. I hope it doesn't come down to that.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

David what is the particular bullet/case combo you are using?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

Find a bullet of a similar style and weight and start there with your powder? I used the sierra data for the lapua bullets I was using. There was a 1gr difference in bullet weight 107 vs 108 and 140 vs 139. I started at the minimum charge and never got to max when I was shooting a ladder type test.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

The bullet company came through with the data. Evidently I am not smart enough to use their website. It is not in my current book version but it is on the website.

So, it is all good. Thank you everyone.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Reloading isn't near as complicated as many of the loading books mske it to be if you stay away from the max loads. Any time you work up a load, start with a mild load and work your way up to an accurate load and then quit messing around. Max loads just shorten the life of your barrel which is just fine if you have big bucks to replace your barrell every two or three years. It only takes about 1100 ft lb of energy on the target to dump a ram.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:23 am Reloading isn't near as complicated as many of the loading books mske it to be
Don’t underestimate my ineptitude! Now that I have some reloading data I am dangerous! Maybe I can a few rounds reloaded this weekend. :D
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

David, when I first started reloading back in the stone age we didn't have computers just books. I made many mistakes but thankfully none resulted in catastrophic failure. The bullet choices were far fewer as were powder and brass. The one rule I always followed was start slow. One gun at a time. If you have many guns to load for pick your most used one and get familiar with that one till you can do it in your sleep. By the time you get to reloading for all your guns you will be doing in your sleep as it can be the most time consuming job you ever had. Its great to have all to gadgets that make it go faster but its still very slow. Good luck.
NRA Endowment Member
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:22 am David, when I first started reloading back in the stone age we didn't have computers just books. I made many mistakes but thankfully none resulted in catastrophic failure. The bullet choices were far fewer as were powder and brass. The one rule I always followed was start slow. One gun at a time. If you have many guns to load for pick your most used one and get familiar with that one till you can do it in your sleep. By the time you get to reloading for all your guns you will be doing in your sleep as it can be the most time consuming job you ever had. Its great to have all to gadgets that make it go faster but its still very slow. Good luck.
Good advice, so far I have only reloaded for my .308. I was going to get the components and dies for my 6.5x55 Swede but now I think I will hold off until I have a load sorted out for my .308. I am using Varget power. I was told that was a good powder to start with.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

When I work up a load I load 5 rounds with the lowest book load. Then 5 of the next power factor. Then 5 of the next power factor. I never load the max load because if I have to load a max load then I'd rather try a different powder. Shoot that lot to see whats the most accurate. If your not happy try another powder. The books will be your friend when it comes to powder selection. Keep a log book to. Record everything. Temp. Humidity. Time. and be sure to record the load info. If you don't have a chamber length tool , get one to set the bullet .010 to .015 off the lands.Thats very important. See lots of people load ammo for this first time with no load data. I always ask whats the load and they just shrug their shoulders. Then I walk far away.
NRA Endowment Member
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Hey Dave, just scoop the case into your powder, push the extra off the top with your finger (leaving it heaped would be too much!) then seat the bullet carefully. Max load my ass! ;)

i'm going to say it just so someone doesn't blow a gasket, of course I'm kidding....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.