Anschutz Options

This is what we do.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Anschutz Options

Post by thauglor »

Dan Cates can correct me if I am wrong, but he recently built a SB off a 2500x. At the end of his build, the weight was within a few ounces of a 54 action build.
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dan2116 »

Anyone that shoots a Stiller Trident for silhouette want to comment on the action?? I have a 54 Match ( 1808 EDS ) 1712's and a 1710DKL. Love them all but someone said you cant have too many .
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

thauglor wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:48 pm Dan Cates can correct me if I am wrong, but he recently built a SB off a 2500x. At the end of his build, the weight was within a few ounces of a 54 action build.
dan2116 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:19 pm Anyone that shoots a Stiller Trident for silhouette want to comment on the action?? I have a 54 Match ( 1808 EDS ) 1712's and a 1710DKL. Love them all but someone said you cant have too many .
I would think that any rifle built for silhouette would be within a few ounces of other rifles built for silhouette regardless of action. There's a weight limit, not a weight requirement because heavier rifles are (generally) easier to shoot (to a point of diminishing returns of course) so most rifles on the line will be within a few ounces of each other as that's the common goal.

What will be different is barrel length, diameter, contour etc etc along with stock material and any necessary balancing weight. I wanted to use the 2500X action which is heavier than other actions so I was behind the 8 ball in options for other components. I then selected the stock which had to be lighter to allow room in other areas. Trigger, scope, and mounts came next. I calculated what weight I had left and then started working on developing my barrel contour. I wanted to be barely under the Hunter class limit, but I wanted the rifle to balance well because I personally feel that is very crucial. I finished my contour selections and then it was done.

I would have had to work as hard to land close to the weight limit with an Anschutz as I did with the 2500X. I bet since the Anschutz actions are so much lighter than the 2500X\Trident\Turbo etc, the barrel would have ended up heavier to get over all weight up and I would have ended up with balancing weight in the butt of the stock. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just that I think it would have happened. Personally I would rather weight in a rifle not be dead weight in the form of lead somewhere in a stock, but be "functional" whether it's in a scope or action or barrel to add rigidity or whatever. There's more than one way to skin a cat and we all have our preferences.

Below is how my 2500X build was configured. The blue highlighted and red outlined cells show barrel contour and all of the used components. I have since changed the scope to a Leupold FX-3 25X and stripped the stock of the solid particulates that gave texture and painted the stock. I went to a lighter scope to account for the potential increase in paint weight and have not updated the sheet. I think I'm about 2-2.5oz lighter than it previously was with the balance point moved forward as the weight was reduced above the action.

I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dan2116 »

Thank you for the awesome chart!!
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

I just finished building a single shot standard rifle, using a Trident single shot action, with a Bix & Andy trigger. The actual weights of those components vs the 54.18 are: Trident action with Bix & Andy trigger, 2 lbs, 0.5 oz, Anschutz 54.18 action, with Anschutz trigger, magazine and magazine hanger & screw, 1 lb, 15.4 oz, or 1.1 oz lighter. Dan
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

dan2116 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:33 pm Thank you for the awesome chart!!
If you want the full sheet, just shoot me your email. I find it to be pretty handy if I'm allowed to say that about something I built for myself lol.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I've always had the theory that weight near the ends of the rifle (butt/muzzle) or as close to that as possible will help to stabilize the rifle. While weight in the center doesn't. My reasoning is that the more weight you add to the extremes of a body increases the moment of inertia (resistance to turning about an axis) and weight near the center contributes very little to this.

Also, I do stuff for the WVU rifle team, super high end bunch of shooters. They are always trying to add weight to their rifles- always in the back or the front. Never in the middle.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Thanks for chiming in Dan.

Doodaddy, I was trying to say that custom or anschutz 54 actions are within once of each other, as confirmed by Dan. Of course any custom built rifle will be close to the legal limits
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

thauglor wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:57 pm Thanks for chiming in Dan.

Doodaddy, I was trying to say that custom or anschutz 54 actions are within once of each other, as confirmed by Dan. Of course any custom built rifle will be close to the legal limits
That makes more sense. I thought it felt odd when I read it, but I took it the wrong way.

That's surprising to me about the action weight of the Anschutz. I've never gotten to handle a 54 action on its own so I'd love some hard numbers. Always curious!