Anschutz Options

This is what we do.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Anschutz Options

Post by Jerry G »

Hang on to it Dave. You will never wear out the barrel.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry, you are correct but I must admit I like the idea of a custom 40X pattern action with a custom barrel and all of the other goodies to make a custom hunter rifle.

I even entertain the idea of a Wooster/Pharr/Merrier stock then I look at me walnut stock and say screw the synthetic stock.

Humidity is not a problem here.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

SqHunter wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Doodaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:33 am
SqHunter wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:40 am

Will the 2500x fit in the McMillan Master Silhouette stock?
It fits in all of the other McMillan benchrest stocks so I can't see where it wouldn't fit this one. Especially if you're buying it flat topped.
Thank you. Do you know of anyone that has built a standard class rifle out of it? I think I have seen a hunter class in one of the Pharr stock variations, but I don't recall seeing a standard class rifle.
I don't know many people building standard class specific rifles to be honest. Usually the thought is to build a hunter class rifle that leaves you wanting for nothing and shoot it in standard.

I will say that the extra 18oz that standard class allows would have making weight "easier" when using such a heavy action, but it really just opens up your options on stock/scope/barrel contour while falling in the weight limit that hunter class restricts you somewhat of. Of course a standard class 2500X would allow for you to pop on a 1.5oz Jewell trigger if you're into that sort of thing. In fact, I shot that on mine for a while when I was waiting on my trigger for hunter.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Doodaddy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:25 am
SqHunter wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Doodaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:33 am

It fits in all of the other McMillan benchrest stocks so I can't see where it wouldn't fit this one. Especially if you're buying it flat topped.
Thank you. Do you know of anyone that has built a standard class rifle out of it? I think I have seen a hunter class in one of the Pharr stock variations, but I don't recall seeing a standard class rifle.
I don't know many people building standard class specific rifles to be honest. Usually the thought is to build a hunter class rifle that leaves you wanting for nothing and shoot it in standard.

I will say that the extra 18oz that standard class allows would have making weight "easier" when using such a heavy action, but it really just opens up your options on stock/scope/barrel contour while falling in the weight limit that hunter class restricts you somewhat of. Of course a standard class 2500X would allow for you to pop on a 1.5oz Jewell trigger if you're into that sort of thing. In fact, I shot that on mine for a while when I was waiting on my trigger for hunter.
Thank you. I shot the Franken hunter rifles for years but found the standard class stocks to fit much better. I am not sure I will ever build another rifle, but if I did it would be an 8.5 lb rifle in the McMillan Master Silhoutte stock.
BlackestBart
B Poster
B Poster

Post by BlackestBart »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:06 pm If you are buying new components to build a new rifle, it makes more sense to go with one of the many custom actions such as the Stiller 2500X now sold under a new name I think called Holeshot. The reason I say this is because the prices for Anschutz barrelled actions have skyrocketed. No difference in cost between Anschutz and custom. Also there is a huge choice of triggers for the 40x type custom actions. If building off of used components, good rifles have been built off of every model Anschutz and every model 40x available. If you do not want to go the custom route, at least two smallbore national championships were won with the lowly Anschutz 1712 and. That was in 2014 at Raton. At least one perfect 40 has also been shot with a 1712.
The perfect 40 in Smallbore Hunter was shot with a 54 Sporter, single stage trigger tripping the firing pin at an honest two pounds. The crowd went nuts.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I guess Elisabeth's rifle could be called a 54 Sporter but I think it is really designated as a 1712.
It has a wing safety. That rifle also must have a 2 stage trigger because you can see her taking up that first stage.
Watch the video as she finishes the 40 up on pigs at a range where it is tough to shoot a perfect 40 especially in June.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rncLWl3rac0
The rifle was not as important as the young lady driving it along with Pat's spotting.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I'm sure Steiger will chime in shortly.... I shoot with Pat and Elizabeth monthly.

I am 99 44/100 % sure she shoots a box stock 1710 with a single stage trigger set to just over 2#'s. It's in a Pharr stock to fit her.

She has been shooting Paul Freeman GORGEOUS 40X lately and I think she really likes it...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

DavidABQ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:46 pm Jerry, you are correct but I must admit I like the idea of a custom 40X pattern action with a custom barrel and all of the other goodies to make a custom hunter rifle.

I even entertain the idea of a Wooster/Pharr/Merrier stock then I look at me walnut stock and say screw the synthetic stock.

Humidity is not a problem here.
A Vudoo action and a lightweight barrel would fit the bill.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Chime........ Elisabeth shoots a factory 1710 barreled action with a single stage trigger. She has a Pharr stock on it and a Premier 18-40. The gun has 40,000+ rounds down the barrel and still shoots great. Lately she has taken a shine to a Treebone maple stocked 40x that was built for Paul Freeman by Mark Pharr. It is a beautiful gun. Single stage Jewel trigger, fluted Lilja barrel. Both are hunter class rifles. She will usually shoot her Anschutz in the first match and the 40x in the second. She hasn't shot a 40 with it yet, 39 is her best. I think she has only shot 4 or 5, 40's in competition. (only).... B-) We put together another 40x pattern action years ago ( Lawton 400XRF ) with a Lilja barrel in a split finger Pharr stock, again a Jewel single stage trigger. She prefered her Anschutz and her older brother happily relieved her of it. The burden of siblings..... 8-} Joseph ( her littlest brother) made it to Master class shooting a CZ 452 Silhouette and a 24X Leupold scope. Nicholas got to Master with a 54.18 Frankenhunter. This one was built by Evelio. They practiced a lot. Several cases a year. Nicholas shot EVERY day for 4 months straight. Practice and excellent coaching from Bill Motl, Chris and Cathy Winstead, Larry Engle, Paul Freeman, John Neighouse, William Zander, Lones Wigger, and a bunch of others helped them move up.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Out of all the hobbies the Steigers could pursue together as a family look at what they chose.
It was rifle silhouette.
That makes a statement about how great a sport silhouette is.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI ALL ,

MANY older ANSCHUTZ 54 single shot actions are available for custom FRANKENHUNTER creations !

there is no need to go to custom actions !!!
THE question to ask yourselves IS :
REPEATER or SINGLE loader ???

IF single then DO I want a 2 stage trigger ???
ANSCHUTZ 54 IS the answer ...

go older , used ...

GSL
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dan2116 »

I am looking to build a new all out silhouette rimfire and am looking at a 2500X . Is the Stiller 2500X heavier than a Anschutz 54 Match action.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

dan2116 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:16 am I am looking to build a new all out silhouette rimfire and am looking at a 2500X . Is the Stiller 2500X heavier than a Anschutz 54 Match action.
The Stiller is approximately 30 oz. (from Jerry). It is heavier than the Anschutz 54 action, just not sure how much.
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dan2116 »

Thank you
stan8388
B Poster
B Poster

Post by stan8388 »

I purchased an 1710 SS barreled action from Anschutz North America. If you're affiliated with any branch of service and can provide documentation. You will get a 10% discount. I then had a Wooster hybrid stock built for it. I put an after market trigger shoe on it. It shoots lights out. It's the next best thing to a custom built rifle.