Anschutz Options

This is what we do.
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

Anschutz Options

Post by Kujones »

Looking forward (maybe far forward) to upgrading from CZ. Anschutz rules the roost but are there other options? Remington 40X?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Anschutz Options

Post by atomicbrh »

If you are buying new components to build a new rifle, it makes more sense to go with one of the many custom actions such as the Stiller 2500X now sold under a new name I think called Holeshot. The reason I say this is because the prices for Anschutz barrelled actions have skyrocketed. No difference in cost between Anschutz and custom. Also there is a huge choice of triggers for the 40x type custom actions. If building off of used components, good rifles have been built off of every model Anschutz and every model 40x available. If you do not want to go the custom route, at least two smallbore national championships were won with the lowly Anschutz 1712 and. That was in 2014 at Raton. At least one perfect 40 has also been shot with a 1712.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:06 pm If you are buying new components to build a new rifle, it makes more sense to go with one of the many custom actions such as the Stiller 2500X now sold under a new name I think called Holeshot. The reason I say this is because the prices for Anschutz barrelled actions have skyrocketed. No difference in cost between Anschutz and custom. Also there is a huge choice of triggers for the 40x type custom actions. If building off of used components, good rifles have been built off of every model Anschutz and every model 40x available. If you do not want to go the custom route, at least two smallbore national championships were won with the lowly Anschutz 1712 and. That was in 2014 at Raton. At least one perfect 40 has also been shot with a 1712.
If we're stepping into the money realm that includes customs (which I agree with you Anschutz falls in these days), you couldn't pay me to build off of an action that wasn't Holeshot and likely only the 2500X. I just don't want the stiffer bolt lift of the Trident, but the shorter bolt throw does have some appeal.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Anschutz was a good combination of a fairly stiff receiver, light enough action to make Hunter weight, a decent trigger and a easy to disassemble and service bolt. The thing is only Anschutz triggers will fit on Anschutz actions while there is now a huge variety of great triggers to fit the custom actions. For the same price as a new Anschutz 19xxx series barreled action you can build a American made custom rifle with the exact trigger and barrel you want. You will not have to discard a factory barrel or change the trigger springs to build a hunter rifle if you go the custom route.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Wow! I didn't think custom actions with a barrel were that affordable!

I shoot a lowly 1712 I got off of the secondary market a few years ago.

I may have to look into a custom an silhouette rifle after I am happy with my Remington rifle project.

It might get a little pricey for me if I go with a Canyon Creek stock. I may have to consider a synthetic stock, I don't like them but I may have to consider one.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The current price of a Anschutz 1907-U6 barreled action with a 5018 trigger is $2085.00. That does not include a trigger guard or action screws.
Then you have to pay FFL fees and/or taxes.
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Kujones »

Which action would you choose in lieu of Anschutz?
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Anybody wanting to build a custom Sil. rifle that will be used on both classes will be better with a regular 1712 barreled action mounted on a custom Sil. off hand stock. After you make it into master class, and getting to the point where you need one extra hit to win, then a custom replacement barrel may get you there.
Trying to build a Sil. gun on a 2500X action ($1,300.00) Plus a trigger, plus a custom barrel, plus a stock will cost you $3,000.00
minimum and then you still need rings and a good scope, add another $800.00.
This best of the best set up will not get you any better scores than what you can get with a 1712 or 54 or 40X with a good barrel and stock.
I am a 40 years ex-silhouette shooter, and a custom gunsmith, I have build hundreds of Sil. rifles, and still think that the choice
for a Sil. rifle is still the Anschutz or a ZC for beginners.
All the other custom actions 2500X, Turbo,10X3l,Suhl,Hall, are great for benchrest competition when you are trying to hit a 1/16" dot from a solid bench, and a ($1,000.00) rest using $20.00 + ammo.
It is your money, and spend it which ever way makes happy.
My two cents.
Evelio.
Evelio
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Me personally. It would be a Holeshot 2500X Single Shot. You need to find somebody that has one, hold it and shoot it before you spend that huge amount of money. You may not like the way the custom actions feel. If you build a hunter rifle out of it, you will need to be careful with barrel length and maybe even flute the barrel to come out below the 8 and 1/2 pounds. Doodadddy has all this stuff figured out just pm him and I think he will share his knowledge. I would not have a rifle like this built until you have quite a few years of experience in Silhouette. The more competition experience you have, the more you will know exactly what you want in a rifle. Instead I would contact Wayne Merrier in Georgia and have the CZ put in one of his stocks for awhile. Wayne has a "fit" stock that he ships you. You adjust the stock to fit you and send it back to him. Then he beds your CZ into one of his composite stocks with correct length of pull and correct distance from trigger blade to grip.
Edit: Evellio reinforced my earlier post. 1712's in hunter stocks have won national championships and shot perfect scores but it takes experienced shooters and spotters to do that with any rifle.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Evelio Mc Donald wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:15 pm Anybody wanting to build a custom Sil. rifle that will be used on both classes will be better with a regular 1712 barreled action mounted on a custom Sil. off hand stock. After you make it into master class, and getting to the point where you need one extra hit to win, then a custom replacement barrel may get you there.
Trying to build a Sil. gun on a 2500X action ($1,300.00) Plus a trigger, plus a custom barrel, plus a stock will cost you $3,000.00
minimum and then you still need rings and a good scope, add another $800.00.
This best of the best set up will not get you any better scores than what you can get with a 1712 or 54 or 40X with a good barrel and stock.
I am a 40 years ex-silhouette shooter, and a custom gunsmith, I have build hundreds of Sil. rifles, and still think that the choice
for a Sil. rifle is still the Anschutz or a ZC for beginners.
All the other custom actions 2500X, Turbo,10X3l,Suhl,Hall, are great for benchrest competition when you are trying to hit a 1/16" dot from a solid bench, and a ($1,000.00) rest using $20.00 + ammo.
It is your money, and spend it which ever way makes happy.
My two cents.
Evelio.

Ok, you talked me into keeping my 1712. \m/
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tony »

I have a newer 1712 with the original 2 stage trigger that I can't get adjusted to my liking. What are other 2 stage trigger options for the 1712.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Tony wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:21 am I have a newer 1712 with the original 2 stage trigger that I can't get adjusted to my liking. What are other 2 stage trigger options for the 1712.
No other options for the 1712. The 5018 trigger fits only the match actions, and most are single shot, but repeaters can be found.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

atomicbrh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm Me personally. It would be a Holeshot 2500X Single Shot. You need to find somebody that has one, hold it and shoot it before you spend that huge amount of money. You may not like the way the custom actions feel. If you build a hunter rifle out of it, you will need to be careful with barrel length and maybe even flute the barrel to come out below the 8 and 1/2 pounds. Doodadddy has all this stuff figured out just pm him and I think he will share his knowledge. I would not have a rifle like this built until you have quite a few years of experience in Silhouette. The more competition experience you have, the more you will know exactly what you want in a rifle. Instead I would contact Wayne Merrier in Georgia and have the CZ put in one of his stocks for awhile. Wayne has a "fit" stock that he ships you. You adjust the stock to fit you and send it back to him. Then he beds your CZ into one of his composite stocks with correct length of pull and correct distance from trigger blade to grip.
Edit: Evellio reinforced my earlier post. 1712's in hunter stocks have won national championships and shot perfect scores but it takes experienced shooters and spotters to do that with any rifle.
Will the 2500x fit in the McMillan Master Silhouette stock?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

SqHunter wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:40 am
atomicbrh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm Me personally. It would be a Holeshot 2500X Single Shot. You need to find somebody that has one, hold it and shoot it before you spend that huge amount of money. You may not like the way the custom actions feel. If you build a hunter rifle out of it, you will need to be careful with barrel length and maybe even flute the barrel to come out below the 8 and 1/2 pounds. Doodadddy has all this stuff figured out just pm him and I think he will share his knowledge. I would not have a rifle like this built until you have quite a few years of experience in Silhouette. The more competition experience you have, the more you will know exactly what you want in a rifle. Instead I would contact Wayne Merrier in Georgia and have the CZ put in one of his stocks for awhile. Wayne has a "fit" stock that he ships you. You adjust the stock to fit you and send it back to him. Then he beds your CZ into one of his composite stocks with correct length of pull and correct distance from trigger blade to grip.
It fits in all of the other McMillan benchrest stocks so I can't see where it wouldn't fit this one. Especially if you're buying it flat topped.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Doodaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:33 am
SqHunter wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:40 am
It fits in all of the other McMillan benchrest stocks so I can't see where it wouldn't fit this one. Especially if you're buying it flat topped.
Thank you. Do you know of anyone that has built a standard class rifle out of it? I think I have seen a hunter class in one of the Pharr stock variations, but I don't recall seeing a standard class rifle.