Are Remington products as crappy as I have read?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Are Remington products as crappy as I have read?

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:17 am Put a good after market barrel on a trued 700 action and you will have a good gun. And don't forget to teplace the fatory stock.
I already replaced the OEM stock with a nice walnut stock Remington had on sale a couple of years ago.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

cerro cast the chamber and check for it to be centered in the bore.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Since taken over by bean counters, Hell yes. It is a miricle if you get one that shoots under 1 1/2 minute.

Dave, wood stocks warp but look nice.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Hey Jerry, I always read that you needed moisture/humidity for wood stocks to warp. Is that true? We have pretty low humidity around here. I spent the money anyway so I guess it stays. If I can’t find a load that this rifle likes then I think I will sell it off for something else.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Had a few with very basic blueprinting... All shot very well. May not win a benchrest competition but a 350.00 dollar gun with an additional 80 bucks for truing it up shooting better than one moa is not bad. Bought a 30-06 for the action 3 years ago and with a 5 shot break in and one cleaning it shot .8s with factory Federal with the two dollar plastic stock it came with.

With that being said if you read some Forums you will hear that anything less than (insert this months/quarters current "hot thing" new action/gunsmith) and you are doomed to failure and total disappointment.

Realize that this opinion is coming from a newly minted AA shooter and therefore probably has zero worth.... :wink:
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Dave, is it dry when you go to Raton in July with yhe daily rain?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:50 am Dave, is it dry when you go to Raton in July with yhe daily rain?
That is the humid part of the year. Right now you have to ground yourself prior touching anything electronic. You see the static electricity arcs. It can be painful when you go to kiss your significant other.

Now Orlando Florida is humid!

Regardless, I have the 700 action in a wood stock and that is where it will stay. How long it continues to remain in my gun safe is another question. I keep thinking about picking up a nice and inexpensive Mossberg or Thompson Center.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Hsve you thought about the new Ruger American rifles? Mo buddy has a couple and they shoot sub minute groups. A 243 and a 6.5 Credmore.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:35 pm Hsve you thought about the new Ruger American rifles? Mo buddy has a couple and they shoot sub minute groups. A 243 and a 6.5 Credmore.
I will give them a look at if I can't get this model 700 to group.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I had Evelio build a custom rifle from a cheap .243 short action off a 700. Put it in a Pharr stock and Kreiger barrel chambered for 6.5x47L and it shoots lights out under 1 MOA and way better than I need for offhand =)) I stuck with the stock trigger because it honestly is pretty damn nice and breaks clean (not sure if Evelio polished anything when he has it). I've considered add on triggers because I like 2 stages better but haven't gone that route, yet. Maybe when it comes time for a re-barrel :-?

Oh another note I used a 30.06 Rem 700 to put several deer in the freezer when I was younger and even those completely stock rifles were highly accurate. I don't think the US Snipers would have used the 700 variant for so long if it didn't perform for them well all those years.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am going to see if I can get a it to shoot 1 MOA with different load development. I hope I can get there with Varget powder.