Morr Edge vs D3 Precision Rings

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Morr Edge vs D3 Precision Rings

Post by teetertotter »

He is currently working on .9 and 1.1" and will be 4 weeks or so, according to him today. Also, he will anodize in different colors, which I don't have a list. I'm waiting for the 1.1" to be released, in Yellow anodized. I surely will be able to pick out my equipment from the rack. lol

I wish I could stay the max height, but then have a jaw weld with my stock, which I tried, using a riser, that gave me 1.45 height.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings-fo ... bv4osjSJgg
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

My D3, 1.1 height, clear anodized, arrived the other day and got them mounted on my CZ 452 American with 3/8 dovetail. I slid them on the receiver with a perfect snug fit with a nice perfect snug fit for the 1" Dia. Leupold tube. The inside diameter of the rings, where the halves meet, were smooth as silk, with no feel of any edges. He included some extra cap screws with 2 Allen Wrenches, in his normal shipment.

I'm sure when I go out to the rifle range in a couple days, to site in, all will be perfect too. He should have a couple other sizes posted on ebay, very shortly. Price was $58.00 shipped.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Anschutz 11mm or 3/8 dovetail?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

cedestech wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:56 pm Anschutz 11mm or 3/8 dovetail?
Pete offers both.

I've got the D3 rings on both my Anschutz 1710 and my Air Arms HFT 500 Open air rifle. They're good stuff!
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Pete is the only ring manufacturer that provides a photo of his rings cut in half to show a cross-section. You can see this photo on eBay. His rings are the only ones made out of billet aluminum with a steel clamp. I have a drawer full of broken Beeman(Sportsmatch) rings that demonstrate that Berman is cheap cast pot metal. The Sportsmatch are too expensive for the poor quality.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Does the 54:18 take the 3/8 or 11mm rings....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

cedestech wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 am Does the 54:18 take the 3/8 or 11mm rings....
11mm
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Doodaddy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm
cedestech wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 am Does the 54:18 take the 3/8 or 11mm rings....
11mm
Danke!
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

cedestech wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 pm
Doodaddy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm
11mm
Danke!
Bitte!
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

WOW. Nice rings... I mean really nice.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I needed a set of lower rings, I still went with Morr. I needed as much weight savings as possible, and they have never slipped on me.
Last edited by thauglor on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

thauglor: I agree with you either will work just as good as the other. When I started the process of making scope rings I didn't know anything about Morr Rings. I had used BKL's and they work just fine too but the I am a cz/anschutz fan and I thought there might be a market for better quality rings for nice rifles since I wanted some.

The idea behind the clamp plate is that I never liked the idea of bending the metal to clamp/unclamp. Not that it doesn't work I just don't care for it. Considering that I went with a steel plate since I figured an aluminum plate of the same thickness might bend. You got me wondering though what the weak point is. I just dug some reject parts out of the scrap bin and did a little test to see for fun what does give when the screws are over tightened. The larger clamp screws on mine are 4mm and the aluminum threads held fine and the screw broke. The cap screws on mine are 3mm and in this case the threads stripped out. I did not measure the torque that it failed but I think it was way above any common sense torque for the application. If anyone is using the low profile clamp screws that I supply with the rings I can tell you that the weak link with those screws is the 2.5mm wrench that's used to tighten them. With these screws the head of the screw strips out first.
ClampScrewFail.jpg
CapScrewFail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

That is awesome QC. Failure is a pretty definitive point at which to judge a component.

:mrgreen:
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

The steel clamp makes sense, I was also figuring an aluminum one might bend and really that small of a piece no weight different. And I agree, to make those strip out will be way over torqued for what we use it for.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Pete, I received a pair of your rings for my Savage/Anschutz Sporter. The fit and finish …..WOW. Great work, priced right and quick ship. A super combination.

Jim