Leupold Vary X III

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Leupold Vary X III

Post by L. Rivard »

A while back I bought a Leupold Vary X III 6.5 x 20, used. I have had it on several rifles with no complaints until I tried it on a Silhouette rifle and could not get enough elevation for the Rams. The elevation adjustment stopped dead just below the forth numbered line, or about 45 minutes from the bottom. Anybody know if that's normal, or should there be more available?
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Leupold Vary X III

Post by thauglor »

I only needed up to 9moa in SB and 13moa in HP on a really slow load. Sounds like your rings are not aligning your scope properly with the bore.

You can switch to the Burris z rings with the plastic inserts that allow for alignment.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Reply deleted.
Last edited by atomicbrh on Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Signature rings are real nice if you can afford the weight. You put your scope windage in the middle, your elevation 1/3rd up from the bottom and then use the offset inserts to get it centered at where you want it zeroed. The adjusters stay in the middle of their adjustments on your scope.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

All reply's appreciated, but does anybody know how much adjustment should be available on a Vari X III 6.5 x 20. Still waiting for a callback from Leupold tec.
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

Leupold called back, this scope has 45 minutes of elevation. I was trying to use a 135 SMK in a .308 win for Chickens through Turkeys, and a 180 SMK for Rams. I had enough elevation to get a zero on Rams with the 135's so I shot a match that way. Only hit one Ram (my offhand sucks) but he went down OK. I made my bases from extrusions from Brownells, so if our club runs these matches next year I will make a replacement rear base a bit thicker. Thanks everyone for the help.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

What is your elevation from chickens to rams using the 135?
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

Things got a little hectic and I finished getting zeros the mourning of the match, but if I can trust some rough notes my comeup chickens to rams was an even ten minutes. That was with 47 grains of varget.