Perch width for the animals?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Perch width for the animals?

Post by nemo »

Greetings all,

is there a rule for the width of the perch on which the animals stand? Airgun and rimfire.

Kindest regards,

N
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Perch width for the animals?

Post by Sporty »

4.3 Target Spacing - Targets should be placed a minimum of one target width apart, but not more than 3 1/2”, widths tails to head.

ALLOWABLE TARGET LINE WIDTH VARIATIONS FOR A SET OF 5 TARGETS MINIMUM TO MAXIMUM

Air Rifle
CHICKEN 1’ to 2’ 3”
PIG 1’ 8” to 3’ 6”
TURKEY 1’ 5” to 3’ 0”
RAM 2’ 5” to 5’ 1”

Smallbore Rifle
CHICKEN 2’ 1” to 4’ 5”
PIG 3’ 4” to 7’ 0”
TURKEY 2’ 10” to 6’ 0”
RAM 4’ 10” to 10’ 2”

SOURCE: NRA Silhouette Rifle Rule Book
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Sporty,

thank you for the response. What I meant was the front to back width, I thing the Rules calls top of the stand(?). In that regard, the Rules recite in part:
The “feet” and the top of the stands must be the same size with a maximum variation of 10%.
Do I interpret it that for an air rifle, where the width of the feet is 0.75 inches, the width of the stand may be 0.75 +10% or 0.75-10%? Or is the interpretation that if the animal feet varies by, e.g., +10% the top of the stand must also vary by +10%?

I am also confused by the statement:
Where solid rails are used, pads for each animal should be used and the pad will be considered the stand.
Sorry for being obtuse, but I would like to build a trap correctly.

Kindest regards,

N
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Read the sentence before the one you just quoted. It's in section 4, TARGETS. The perch, pad, or stand should be the same size as the foot or feet on the animal are. The reality is that we use what is available. Some ranges just use rails which is not correct but way better than not shooting. The ideal stand is an elevated pad for each animal the same size as the animal foot/feet. The next best and still technically legal is to use a rail with pads welded to it . The pads being the same size as the foot/feet of the animal. The reason for the pads is simple and important. If a shooter turns an animal and it remains fully supported by the pad alone then it is scored as a miss. If the animal is turned and is supported in part by the rail then it is scored as a hit( because if it was on an elevated stand it would have fallen off and been a hit anyway). Plain rails are fine, although not technically legal except that you will lose some animals when you turn them and they do not fall.

I hope this makes sense to you. It sounds more complicated than it is.
Rick

PS All that stuff about turned animals is why I personally do not care for resettable targets.
Richard
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Richard,

thank you for your explanation.

Kindest regards,

N
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hawkeye7br »

after re-reading, post edited & deleted.