Deleted

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Deleted

Post by DavidABQ »

Deleted
Last edited by DavidABQ on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: To what level of accuracy do you look for in a silhouette Rifle.

Post by Merlin »

Is this a trick question or are you just bored?
How good is your hold?
How much money do you have?
How big is your ego?

At widest/tallest A Ram is ~ 33 x 27.5 Turkey 19 x 23 A Pig 15 x 23 Chicken 12 x 14

:D
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Deleted
Last edited by DavidABQ on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

As a pretty poor shot and a lower classed shooter,,,,,,

IMO....1 - 1.2" will get it done. For me it would not be the accuracy of the rifle but the recoil that would most affect my decision. I would look twice at the lifespan of the barrel and figure that into the decision process before I finalized the Creedmore choice. There are several other .260 calibers that burn a considerably less powder and have been proven to be very effective.....

Whatever your choice I would certainly expect a custom barrel installation would shrink your group size by a substantial percentage.

Just my .02.....

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Deleted
Last edited by DavidABQ on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hawkeye7br »

Your rifle accuracy of sub 1.5 moa is more than enough. Some may think that's blasphemy.

The local college team has excellent equipment, but they practice with plain old RWS Target and Champions Choice pellets until they can shoot 80x100 regularly. Their former coach, a collegiate All-American shooter, described ammo/rifle accuracy this way. Paraphrased...."on the 10 meter air rifle target, the 10 ring is just under .020 inches. If the ammo is only capable of 9 ring accuracy, it is still better than the 8 ring capability of the shooter. Sometimes the shooter will fire with his hold on the 8 ring and the ammo will give him a 7, while other times the same hold and same ammo will score a 9, so it's a wash. Until the shooter is physically capable of consistent 10 ring hold, he doesn't need 10 ring ammo".

In IHMSA, I use Midway blems and a sissy load of SR4759 for Unlimited Standing. It shoots way better than I do, and the budget price lets me practice more and that's what gains targets.

100% agree that less recoil will gain targets, whether you reduce your cpt 308 load or rebarrel to a smaller cartridge.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

A good barrel with the right load and bullet should get you under 1" easy at 100 yards. My 6.5x47 with a Kreiger barrel does it no problem if you can do it yourself and I am not even a bench shooter at all. A few sighters off the rest and bags to check numbers and then up and shooting offhand. Mainly just want to prove your load is in the 1" area. If your hold is 3-4" offhand @ 100y you can't blame the rifle :lol:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

I try to develop the most precise loads for the desired velocity range in the caliber I will be using for silhouette.
Yes, 1 or 1.5 MOA may be enough, but I want to make sure that if I miss, I cannot blame it on the rifle/load. I will not try to fool myself.

Cheers,
Joaquin B
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Deleted
Last edited by DavidABQ on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

I am with Joaquin B. I'm a AA shooter who hasn't fired a AA score in like 2 years. But, If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a high end barrel, I want a load that shoots as tiny a group as possible. If I'm on the leg of an animal when I pull the trigger, that's where it should go. (I know, I'm supposed to aim at the center) At least I can't blame the gun,scope, ammo and I know where the true blame lies........ (usually me). I started out with a .308. Then went to a 7-08 and now shoot a 260. As caliber/recoil went down, my scores went up which got me to AA. Last few years haven't practiced much and my scores show it. BTW, my first 260 barrel lasted 5500 rounds. Groups opened up to 3" at 200 so figured time for a new barrel. Just put on a new barrel a month ago. New barrel shoots 123 Hornady ELD's at 1.25" at 200 and 139 Lapua Scenar's at 1.15" at 200. That's about the same as the first .260 Barrel. Both barrels were purchased from Broughton who sadly has closed up shop. My latest 260 barrel was one of his last. They have the 5C (canted land rifling)
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Deleted
Last edited by DavidABQ on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Run what you brung and keep on grinning.

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Deleted