What custom action for a new SB Silhoutte Rifle?

This is what we do.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: What custom action for a new SB Silhoutte Rifle?

Post by Doodaddy »

Emietenkorte wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:45 pm I totally know what you mean in regards to magnification, I do appreciate my Leupold 25x scopes. I guess I was just speaking to people getting started in silhouette. As shooters progress in their abilities they normally upgrade their equipment and you're right, there aren't the scopes and reticles out there that there once was... even in the six years that I've been shooting silhouette I've seen things disappear. I think it's important to let companies know what their customers want. They are going to produce scopes that sell and if they don't know there is a need, they won't make something for people they don't know exist. I've been in contact with Leupold and I've been pushing for options that will work for us. I've been told that adding a SKU to the new 6.5-20 HD that includes a 1/2" target dot might be an option and also the development of an 8.5-25x40 with 1 inch tube is in the works. They're working on reducing weight to get it closer to the fixed 25x 14oz mark. COVID has slowed development however it is still moving forward. I know a lot of people have voiced their displeasure about the lack of optical equipment here on Steelchickens and Facebook, however I hope interfacing with the company will prove more effective.
To play devil's advocate, I'm not sure there is a large enough customer base buying new scopes to justify a silhouette specific scope to be sold outside of the custom shop. Sightron discontinuing their silhouette scope and Leupold moving the FX3 silhouette scopes to the custom shop and then discontinued entirely aren't great indicators of products selling. I don't think the potential customer pool has grown in those years since that happened either.

I fully believe the path you're pushing for a scope that is reasonably standard, but has the option of a silhouette oriented SKU is absolutely the best for both shooters and the manufacturer. If they even approach the 14oz mark...wow. I tried that path with Athlon some years back and said "It can't be that big of a deal to have a different reticle option, especially one as simple as fine cross hairs with a 1/2MOA dot....". They didn't care too much and I can't blame them entirely; they're very invested in the PRS game and are doing well. Their scopes are also quite heavy.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Doodaddy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:45 amTo play devil's advocate, I'm not sure there is a large enough customer base buying new scopes to justify a silhouette specific scope to be sold outside of the custom shop. Sightron discontinuing their silhouette scope and Leupold moving the FX3 silhouette scopes to the custom shop and then discontinued entirely aren't great indicators of products selling. I don't think the potential customer pool has grown in those years since that happened either.
I get what you're saying. Either way I will continue to push, I want to see a quality optic available for us to use, especially new shooters. That might mean it's an optic that can be used across multiple disciplines and would increase the customer base. It doesn't have to be a "silhouette scope". I would rather focus my time and energy on trying to do something positive for the sport than gripe about its possible demise/lack of hardware (please understand I'm definitely not saying that's what you're doing, I've just seen it a lot on this forum). I think I have traveled around enough to know that silhouette is alive and has the potential to grow. Sure it's not where it use to be but that doesn't mean it can't be there again. I don't think we should be hung up on the fact that we don't have a scope just for us silhouette shooters and just shoot what we can, that's what this game is about, shooting.

Sorry to the OP I know this isn't answering your question, didn't mean to hijack and talk about scopes rather than custom actions.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Emietenkorte wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:20 am
Doodaddy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:45 amTo play devil's advocate, I'm not sure there is a large enough customer base buying new scopes to justify a silhouette specific scope to be sold outside of the custom shop. Sightron discontinuing their silhouette scope and Leupold moving the FX3 silhouette scopes to the custom shop and then discontinued entirely aren't great indicators of products selling. I don't think the potential customer pool has grown in those years since that happened either.
I get what you're saying. Either way I will continue to push, I want to see a quality optic available for us to use, especially new shooters. That might mean it's an optic that can be used across multiple disciplines and would increase the customer base. It doesn't have to be a "silhouette scope". I would rather focus my time and energy on trying to do something positive for the sport than gripe about its possible demise/lack of hardware (please understand I'm definitely not saying that's what you're doing, I've just seen it a lot on this forum). I think I have traveled around enough to know that silhouette is alive and has the potential to grow. Sure it's not where it use to be but that doesn't mean it can't be there again. I don't think we should be hung up on the fact that we don't have a scope just for us silhouette shooters and just shoot what we can, that's what this game is about, shooting.

Sorry to the OP I know this isn't answering your question, didn't mean to hijack and talk about scopes rather than custom actions.
If I came across as discouraging, I definitely did not mean to. Do anything/everything you can to influence a manufacturer. I just meant that I have my expectations pretty low, because I'm not sure I would do much if I were in their shoes.

As far as the OP is concerned, I say buy anything Holeshot. I like Jerry and his actions and I believe he has one of the better manufacturing processes/design approach.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Emietenkorte wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:20 am Sorry to the OP I know this isn't answering your question, didn't mean to hijack and talk about scopes rather than custom actions.
No, don’t be sorry.This has turned into a good conversation about silhouette equipment!
Last edited by DavidABQ on Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

The statement that a custom action is heavier than an Anschutz is accurate, but when everything is considered it is not by a substantial margin. I recently purchased a Trident action and a Bix & Andy Tac Sport trigger (for a standard rifle so no safety). The combination weighs 32.5 oz. My Anschutz 54.18 action, with trigger, magazine (since its a repeater and should be weighed with the magazine in place) and the associated hardware for the magazine, weighs 31.4 oz. So, just over one ounce difference in weight. If one doesn't use a base with the Anschutz, only rings on the dovetail but must use a base with most custom actions, that would increase the difference, but again, not by a substantial margin. Dan