Rule Question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Rule Question

Post by Emietenkorte »

Hi everyone! I'm looking to dabble a little in the lever rifle discipline... starting with rimfire. The rules state "Barrels must be original or may be relined. Original barrels re-bored to a larger caliber are allowed. Any safe trigger is allowed. Stocks must be of original configuration. Recoil pads, replacement butt- plates, and removable cheek pieces are allowed."

I hate to even ask this because it might be a well duh response but.... I just wanted to make sure refinishing, such as cerakote and also a replacement stock from let say Boyd's Rifle Stocks as long as it's the original shape was allowed. I'm interpreting a stock of "original configuration" refers to a stock of the same shape and size as the original? I'm looking to rebuild a Marlin 39A and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get weird looks if I showed up to the line with a rifle that doesn't look like the guy's standing next to me. Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Erich
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Rule Question

Post by Grizz61 »

The rules allow for what you are talking about.

As for "I wasn't going to get weird looks", that can not be answered so easily

Personally I say shoot what you want to shoot let get more shooters into the sport. I would state the closer it looked to original the less looks you should get out of it.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

My opinion is that replacement barrels should be allowed as long as they are the same configuration as the original. I've had barrels relined and sometimes they should good and sometimes they don't. With the scarcity of good Marlin and 'Winchester rifles for the silhouette game, it seems that replacing barrels is warranted. I haven't done this, but have thought about it. I think the rule should be changed to allow this. What do you think?
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

JohnHenry wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:29 am My opinion is that replacement barrels should be allowed as long as they are the same configuration as the original. I've had barrels relined and sometimes they should good and sometimes they don't. With the scarcity of good Marlin and 'Winchester rifles for the silhouette game, it seems that replacing barrels is warranted. I haven't done this, but have thought about it. I think the rule should be changed to allow this. What do you think?
Jim, I agree with the replacement for the most part, as long as it is in the caliber/configuration that it replaces or was available from the manufacturer.

In regards to the original question, the more strange looks, I say, the better.

This is a fun game, just trying to keep it simple, friendly and uncomplicated.

You will see a couple of Boyd's restocked Marlin 39a's on the line.

Welcome, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Erich,

If I were you, I would find a Marlin, Winchester, Henry, or Uberti and shoot it completely as is. I would not modify anything other than the trigger.

What you are talking about will work for most shooters, but you are really good and you will start to win these matches pretty quickly and they WILL disqualify you with that stock rifle rule!

I know this from experience…

Dustin
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

JohnHenry wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:29 am My opinion is that replacement barrels should be allowed as long as they are the same configuration as the original. I've had barrels relined and sometimes they should good and sometimes they don't. With the scarcity of good Marlin and 'Winchester rifles for the silhouette game, it seems that replacing barrels is warranted. I haven't done this, but have thought about it. I think the rule should be changed to allow this. What do you think?
It's actually cheaper in many cases to replace the barrel with a new one then reline (dubious results from anything more than 22LR) or replacing the rifle.

I have seen Boyds stocks on guns at state and national matches, as long as it's the same "style" or shape as an original available for that
rifle (this includes pistol grip stocks on straight tang rifles) it should be fine.

Unless you have a bloop tube with counter weights with a gyroscopic stabilizer no one is going to protest.... and even at that, the jury
would have to agree that your custom color with a laminate stock gives you some sort of competitive edge. "most" jury's are picked because they are reasonable people and will be reasonable if there is a question brought to them...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I think aftermarket barrels (Lilja, Shilen, Bartlein, etc) could give a shooter an extra advantage.

I think an aftermarket stock made reasonably close to the original factory patterns does not give a shooter any advantage.

My advice to a new shooter would be to use original rifles if at all possible. Worrying about rules and controversy would be a distraction on match day.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

PAndy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:02 pm I think aftermarket barrels (Lilja, Shilen, Bartlein, etc) could give a shooter an extra advantage.

I think an aftermarket stock made reasonably close to the original factory patterns does not give a shooter any advantage.

My advice to a new shooter would be to use original rifles if at all possible. Worrying about rules and controversy would be a distraction on match day.
Hi Everyone! Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate the insight. I do think however think we are getting away from the original question. I'm not asking about replacing barrels, I'm simply asking about refinishing the rifle in a way that might not look "original" I'm not changing any metal parts, just refinishing them. Also the stock would be same shape and size as the original. In no way am I new to the silhouette game, just with the lever guns. Anyone who knows me and have seen my other silhouette rifles might understand why I'm asking about how the rifle looks haha.
Thanks again!
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Emietenkorte wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:59 pm
Hi Everyone! Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate the insight. I do think however think we are getting away from the original question. I'm not asking about replacing barrels, I'm simply asking about refinishing the rifle in a way that might not look "original" I'm not changing any metal parts, just refinishing them. Also the stock would be same shape and size as the original. In no way am I new to the silhouette game, just with the lever guns. Anyone who knows me and have seen my other silhouette rifles might understand why I'm asking about how the rifle looks haha.
Thanks again!
Curmudgeons will scoff at you... scoffing isn't a protestable offense... ;)

(if you start shooting lever action a bunch you will find out getting a accurate pistol cartridge rifle that you also feel comfortable shooting is the bane of everyone's existence.... that is why a lot of people shoot 22mag even though it is marginal on rams and why it's a touchy subject with strong opinions)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

It is a commendable thing to bring a neglected, basket case rifle back to competition and this sounds like the case.