Is anyone shooting smallbore with iron sights?

This is what we do.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Is anyone shooting smallbore with iron sights?

Post by shooterer »

I picked up a Anschutz 1827 (biathlon) this off season and thought I would try it.

Wish me luck :)
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Is anyone shooting smallbore with iron sights?

Post by mychippy »

I've never seen anyone doing that regularly, but it sounds like a fun challenge. Going back to a scope will seem easy by comparison!

You may want to try "frame hold" for your elevation. Don't forget to focus on the front sight, not the target.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I've done it before with a Vostok CM2. Was a lot of fun.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Ed Sharp always shoots fifth scale standard smallbore rifle and smallbore hunting rifle with iron sights at the Mid Carolina Rifle Club and Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club. I've tried it a few times at matches and practice on fifth scale with my Henry Frontier Long Barrel .22 LR with a tang sight. That built confidence when shooting at half scale lever action matches.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Wes shoots iron sites here in Missoula. He has a variety of kool old guns to shoot too. He'll be at iron man if you can make it up this way.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
PaperPuncher
Unclassified Poster

Post by PaperPuncher »

Old thread but I haven't been here for a while. Several years ago I was having trouble with my 10/22 in the first of 2 smallbore rifle matches at our club and figured I couldn't do any worse with a pistol so that's what I did for the second match. Ruger MKIII, Tactical Solutions 8" barrel, iron sights which I have customized. Scored 11, including 2 turkeys and 3 each of the others. I was younger then (74) and doubt that I could do it again.

I believe our range record with iron sights on a rifle is in the high 20's. It wasn't me.

[Edit: That high-20's score was shot with a CZ 452 Ultra Lux, which has a 28" barrrel. If you're masochistic enough to shoot smallbore rifle silhouettes using iron sights, there's no substitute for sight radius.]
Last edited by PaperPuncher on Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Why not shoot clay pigeons with 22 rife. Come on guys. If you don't want to compete with the real shooters just say so.
ppkny
MathewC
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MathewC »

I shoot Hunter class with a CZ457 and Anschutz peep sights. It's a lot of fun. I've managed a few 5 in a row with irons and peeps. I think 33 is my best score. It's certainly a challenge.

I designed and 3d printed an adapter to use the front globe.

@Shooterer, I would love to see your 1827. I shoot a 1727 for Standard right now.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

8825508A-B554-4122-B01E-601E5A937A17.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
MathewC
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MathewC »

Awesome. Great stock.

Any complaints?
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

I've done it a couple of times with my .22 BPCR rifle. Tough!
Joaquin B
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

It is fun to shoot 1/5 scale targets with irons. I do it occasionally at clubs where contrast is great, such as the SC matches, light colored sand background with black targets. As my eyes age this has become necessary along with wearing reading glasses to make out the front sight clearly. I've used an old savage 19nra, marlin 39, HW29 and a 1710 for this type of shooting. It's unlikely that an iron sight shooter will win a match, but that isnt the point, it's a self competition. Though It would be fun to have enough shooters to have an iron sight category, or class, at a SB match.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Chicken hater has the right idea. Black targets!!!! Most ranges shoot whited targets for SB scoped matches. White targets on a bright sunny day are very hard to see when shooting irons. Just ask the lever gun shooters.
I picked up a set of iron sights this year that I can mount on my HP rifle. I might go to Ridgway where they shoot black animals and see if I can hit any.
It’s all about having fun.
Pete- shooting clay birds with a .22 rifle is too easy!!!

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member