SK HIgh Velocity Match Ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

SK HIgh Velocity Match Ammo

Post by tomon »

First brick I got shoots great out to 180yds so far. I will shoot out to 200 this Sunday. This match uses 3-3/8 and then 2- 1/5 sized silhouettes each 5 target row. I find it quite challenging, but this ammo looks up to it. It is selling out quick everywhere I've looked, so grab it when you see it! Good shooting!
Hosspower
B Poster
B Poster

Re: SK HIgh Velocity Match Ammo

Post by Hosspower »

I see you are near Pittsburgh. Where is this match?
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hawkeye7br »

What kind of a match is this? Surely not 1/5 scale offhand at 200? Details?
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Hawkeye7br wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:52 pm What kind of a match is this? Surely not 1/5 scale offhand at 200? Details?
Probably 22BPCR
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

Didn't get to the Long Range Rimfire Silhouette shoot last Sunday due to range storm damage, so next chance to shoot will be a 100yd KYL shoot at McKeesport next weekend. Targets in descending sizes from 8" to 1" in a 1 minute time limit.

Two different matches......
Keystone Sportmens Club has a monthly LRS shoot at 50, 100, 150 , and 200yds. Each row of 5 animals consist of 3@3/8 and 2@1/5. A bonus random target is also added at TBD range for a more challenging attempt. They have target setters, so tip them, please!
Clairton Sportmens Club has theirs every other month and consists of all 3/8 animals at 50, 100,, 150, and 185yds. Max 20 Shooters have to walk to reset/paint/paste after each relay.
I believe McKeesport Sportmens Club is having them every Sat. in October, but unsure of particulars.

See respective Websites for details!
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

Hawkeye7br wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:52 pm What kind of a match is this? Surely not 1/5 scale offhand at 200? Details?
No.... At Keystone, The 50yd chicks are offhand, and the rest are shot off of a benched bipod, or the club supplied front rest, which are Caldwell's cheapest models. No rear rests, must be shoulder mounted.
At Clairton, in Open Category, Chicks offhand, and the rest are prone from bipods or cross sticks. In Hunter Benchrest, The Chicks get shot standing off a monopod, or off elbows , for those who can't stand. The other animals are shot off of a benched bipod or front rest. HB shooters must use HV ammo, and have a max power scope rule. There are also Hunter and Open sight categories.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I use the older sk high velocity for my 22 lever gun. Especially handy when shooting pistol cartridge with the 22. Can't wait to get my hands on some of this new stuff.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

OldRanger wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:00 am I use the older sk high velocity for my 22 lever gun. Especially handy when shooting pistol cartridge with the 22. Can't wait to get my hands on some of this new stuff.
Cathy had some for sale at Nationals. She probably has some left. Give her a call at Good Shooting, Inc.

Dustin
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I bought two bricks of the SK high velocity ammo from Cathy at the Nationals because her dad, Chris, said he had tried it and said it shot real well. If Chris recommends it that is enough for me.
Recently, I had the chance to try it out. Using my Marlin 39A with receiver sight benchrest, the ammo put five shots in less than an inch at 100 yards. Next, I shot Lapua Center X at the same distance and it shot the same as the SK HV.
I'm convinced the SK High Velocity Match is great for lever gun silhouette.
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

I have bricks of it from 3 different lots. My last Silhouette shoot of the season is on Saturday. I am going to shoot lot xxxx1711 bought from Champions Choice by a friend. My first lot was xxxx1712. It did open up a bit at 200yds at the Rams last time, but that could have been me. If it does well, he'll sell me the rest of a 1/2 case at his cost. Can't ask for better!
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

A fellow competitor at Western National’s suggested that faster ammo seemed to shoot better in his and a friends 1866. I believe he said the faster the better. By chance I had ordered some SK high velocity match prior to leaving home and it was waiting for me on our return. Indeed it did shoot well in my lever gun, cutting groups in half from prior ammo tried. In my wife’s rifle it shoot terrible. In our case, like most things .22 it shot extremely well in one rifle and not so well in the other (It would be so nice if our rifles would ever have the same taste). May be a good option to try, as well as Eley force for folks stretching the legs of their .22LR to fill the pistol cartridge roll in lever action. I used Eley Force with the heavy animals for a season and a half, never loosing a Ram or any other hit critter, then one day I had used up all my luck, hit 10 Rams for a score of 4.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

<Snip>
375Short wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:56 pm I used Eley Force with the heavy animals for a season and a half, never loosing a Ram or any other hit critter, then one day I had used up all my luck, hit 10 Rams for a score of 4.
<Snip>

That's not bad luck that's a setter with a grudge.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

I think the true culprit was my bank ended up with the majority of severely warped animals. But it was a wake up call. I switched to .22 mag for pistol cartridge and Elaine shoots very light loaded .357. We hope to play with a 32-20 soon, we own the rifle, bullets, powder and primers but not enough brass to matter.
I do think if folks own a .22 lever gun they should shoot it in the Pistol Cartridge matches. Great way to hone your skills and on most days you won’t give up many if any animals, especially if your target setter is kind to you. All that said you may be 100% correct, I could have had a good natured competitor screwing with me. We shoot with a great group and if it was mischief it was meant in humor, and that’s okay.