Uberti 1873 22 lr??

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
emmettva
B Poster
B Poster

Uberti 1873 22 lr??

Post by emmettva »

I swear i saw a couple shooting an 1873 (Uberti I think as it matched their 32-20 for pistol cal)) in 22LR at the Ridgway Nationals. The striking thing was the chromed internal mag insert with knurled end knob. Seemed neat and as i like the balance of my 1873 in 357 -- looked it up and found that the 73 was made in 22 short and 22 long for about 20 years ending in 1894 or so. Cannot find any recent manufacturer like say Uberti or Winchester/Miroku for a rimfire version/ Can anyone 'splain? Thanks.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Uberti 1873 22 lr??

Post by cedestech »

Uberti used to make the 73 in 22LR, Winchester actually made them 100+ years ago in short, I almost bought one to rebuild into LR, some people have converted a 73 in 22LR. Uberti currently makes the 66 in 22LR.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
elevenbravo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by elevenbravo »

I believe you are talking about Teresa Everheart and William Zander. I talked to Mr. Zander about his 1873 Uberti in 22lr
and he explained that he used a combination of original Win. parts and Uberti 1866 parts to build this 1873. he is an excellent
gunsmith and did a beautiful job on the conversion. Paul Viola, ELEVENBRAVO
emmettva
B Poster
B Poster

Post by emmettva »

THANKS 11B. Yes it was a show stopper, and cant imagine the work involved, much less envisioning it from the beginning. I wonder if any Uberti /Winchester bigwigs ever scan this site as i would really like to own a modern version in 22LR.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

There was and may be still a Uberti 1866 22lr for sale in the marketplace.
The downside or reason I didn't buy it is the weight. The thing is eleven pounds. Think about it, same exterior dimensions but with a little bitty hole in the barrel, no bottle neck cartridge chamber and a big fat carrier with a little bitty slot in it.

Way back when Gander Mountain had a brick and mortar store near me they had an original 1873 on display. It was chambered in 22 short and had a thirty inch octagon barrel!
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

DAVIDMAGNUM wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:24 am There was and may be still a Uberti 1866 22lr for sale in the marketplace.
The downside or reason I didn't buy it is the weight. The thing is eleven pounds. Think about it, same exterior dimensions but with a little bitty hole in the barrel, no bottle neck cartridge chamber and a big fat carrier with a little bitty slot in it.
That was mine. I had 2, still shoot one. 10#2oz... the 73 version "should" be a little lighter because the steel receiver is lighter then brass... everything else is the same.

They are a joy bringing it up to you and firing... everything else is a pita. They require love and feeding... LOL.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?