What is the Go To Scope Now?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
rolltide
B Poster
B Poster

What is the Go To Scope Now?

Post by rolltide »

I've seen lots of posts about the FX-3 25X, but also see a lot of positive talk about the 6.5-20 EFR's.

I have several of the EFRs and do like them, but I spend a lot of time shooting other rimfire disciplines, primarily NRL22 and Rimfire PRS. The reticles in my other optics are much easier for my ever-changing eyes to see than either my fine duplex or center dot EFRs.

I currently have a 4.5-14 Zeiss Conquest on my 1712, which has worked fine, but I'm looking for more magnification, but want to retain an easier-to-see reticle.

What are some other options that you've found acceptable?

I've debated on the Nightforce NX8 4-32, but those weigh quite a bit more, 10 ounces than either the current Zeiss or a Leupold EFR.

I'm accustomed to the exposed, tactical-style turrets that are on my Nightforce, Kahles and S&B's so a lightweight optic with higher magnification, low weight and center dot reticle that is a little larger and easy to see would be ideal.

While I prefer MILs, I shoot several rifles with MOA adjustments, so I'm open to anything there...as long as the scope tracks as it should.

Thanks in advance!
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: What is the Go To Scope Now?

Post by acorneau »

Unfortunately we don't have any real options right now. Anything that is good for silhouette has to be found on the second-hand market. You can find some scopes that might have about half of the wanted attributes of a silhouette scope, but nothing with most or all of them.

Best bet is to create a little "wish list" of scopes that would work for you and check the various forums/eBay for any that fit your criteria. Usually a good scope like a Weaver T-24 with a 1/2" dot will get snatched up in a matter of hours, if not minutes, and for a healthy price to boot. You could also put out wanted ads in those same forums with the list of scopes you are interested in.

Good luck with your scope search.
Allen Corneau
rolltide
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rolltide »

Thanks for the insight!

I had someone suggest a Vortex optic which would have been almost exactly what I was looking for, but unfortunately, they only offer it with a very busy, grid-style reticle.

Maybe in the future, they'll offer it with other reticle options.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

rolltide wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:12 am Thanks for the insight!

I had someone suggest a Vortex optic which would have been almost exactly what I was looking for, but unfortunately, they only offer it with a very busy, grid-style reticle.

Maybe in the future, they'll offer it with other reticle options.
Someone came to the range a few years ago with a Vortex (no idea what model) and the reticle wasn't that bad. It was kind of a medium plex with the diamond or a circle in the middle... don't remember but remember it was intriguing .
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

Anyone have a picture of this rumored Leupold prototype or the reticle or both? I don't need one, but was wondering.
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

jbmarshtx wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:03 pm Anyone have a picture of this rumored Leupold prototype or the reticle or both? I don't need one, but was wondering.
Which rumor?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

jbmarshtx wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:03 pm Anyone have a picture of this rumored Leupold prototype or the reticle or both? I don't need one, but was wondering.
This picture was posted on the FB thread. It's a zoomed-in view of the center diamond. I'll admit that when I first looked through the scope I didn't notice the hole in the center at all.

The FB thread is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4438291 ... 846308381/
Allen Corneau
rolltide
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rolltide »

Thanks for sharing that Facebook group. I'm a member of quite a few and run a rimfire group with about 18,000 members, but I haven't seen that group before.

I did come across a scope that I think may be an option if I can locate one. As always though, I'm open to input, especially from anyone who's used this scope and can share the positives and negatives to it...

The now out-of-production Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30 with fine duplex may meet my needs. The weight is just a little over 22 ounces, so 3 - 4 ounces more than the Leupold or Zeiss I'm currently using.

I failed to mention that one of the reasons I'm looking for additional magnification is due to a side match that my local Club has when shooting one of their silhouette matches.

In the side match, they shoot some know your limits steel swingers at various distances. Once the smallest swinger, the 1/4" one, once it's been hit several times, myself and many of the other shooters are having a hard time seeing it due to it blending in with the berm behind it.

The side match is shot from a bench using bipods and a rear bag.

The swingers are not hard to hit, as long as you can see them...but alas, that isn't as easy as it used to be.
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

I use a less expensive scope on my Rimfire Silhouette/KYL rifles. It's a PFI Rapid Reticle RRE001 3-12x 22lr dedicated scope. First focal Plane, and reticle has Standard Velocity marks on left, and HV stadia on the right. Customer Service is simply outstanding! Just switched one to my CZ457 MTR this year, and am quite pleased with the results!
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

https://www.leupold.com/reticle/hpr-1/

If you could get that into a target scope it may be interesting...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
rolltide
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rolltide »

I do like that reticle.

On my comp rifles, all of the scopes have a center dot in the reticle.

It's by far, my favorite design.
rolltide
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rolltide »

TPC Rating:
100% (6)
I thought I'd post an update in case anyone is interested in an alternative scope.

I tried to find a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30 with the fine duplex reticle but ultimately had no luck.

I did, however, have someone who offered me the tactical version of that scope. Originally, I planned to pass, mainly because it weighs a couple of ounces more than the standard version and I'm not a fan of the look of the Bushnell "tactical" turrets.

I gave in and bought it from the fellow.

Yesterday was my first day at the range with it and I have to say, it's pretty darn impressive.

The glass is clear and seems as bright or maybe even a hair brighter than the Zeiss I had on the rifle and the Mil-Dot reticle is easily seen whether on paper or on a silhouette.

The eye box is tight, but I didn't have any major issues with it.

The only negative I ran into is the markings on the turrets. They aren't bright white but instead seem like more of a dingy yellow.

For a guy whose changing scopes because his eyes are acting up, that's a small challenge.

Thankfully, a set of readers and the light on my phone made dialing for elevation easy.

The first round fired at 50 yards was about 8 inches low and 1 inch left.

Holding the rifle still and adjusting the elevation and windage down to the bullet hole from the first shot, the second shot cut the first hole in the paper.

I proceeded to move to another bull on the paper and shoot several 5 and 20 round groups that were typical for that 1712...small...like 1/4" or less.

I haven't weighed the entire package and I'm not sure it would make weight in an official match, but for the time being, I'm very happy with the purchase.