22LR ammunition for lever action matches

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
mmolberg
Unclassified Poster

22LR ammunition for lever action matches

Post by mmolberg »

I thought I read somewhere, quite awhile ago, that high velocity 22 ammunition is not allowed for rimfire silhouette matches. I don't want to show up for a match and have someone tell me I shouldn't be using a certain ammunition.

Are there certain cartridges that are not allowed in rimfire lever action matches?

Mark
Colorado
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 22LR ammunition for lever action matches

Post by Merlin »

No Ultra Velocity is the way I understand it. Around 1250-1300 FPS is good. Some are NOT good such as...the ones with Hyper in the name for sure.
Some of these are no longer even made.... Be safe and ask your local match director and local shooters.

Hyper Velocity-Fiocchi Copper Plated Solid Point, Hyper Velocity-Aguila Interceptor HP, Hyper Velocity-Federal Copper Plated HP, Hyper Velocity-Remington Long Rifle Viper Solid, Hyper Velocity-Winchester Super-X Power-Point, Hyper Velocity-CCI Velocitor CPHP, Hyper Velocity-CCI Mini-Mag CPRN, Hyper Velocity-Wnchester Long Rifle Wildcat Solid, Hyper Velocity-American Eagle (Federal) Copper Plated HP, Hyper Velocity-Federal Copper Plated HP, Hyper Velocity-Winchester Long Rifle Hollow Point, Hyper Velocity-Winchester Long Rifle Hollow Point, Hyper Velocity-Remington Long Rifle Hollow Point, Hyper Velocity-Sellier & Bellot LR HV, Hyper Velocity-American Eagle (Federal) Long Rifle Solid, Yellow Jacket, Stinger and their ilk...

Of course I may be totally wrong.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
mmolberg
Unclassified Poster

Post by mmolberg »

Sounds like if I stay away from hyper and ultra, I should be okay.

Mark
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

The confusion comes from SB silhouette 1/5 scale animals were made of cast steel and damage occurred using anything but standard velocity ammo.
Leveraction 1/2 size animals are steel and normally can handle higher velocities.
I’m not sure if all clubs adhere to this .
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Standard and High velocity are allowed in lever gun and smallbore. "Hyper" or "stinger" ammo isn't.

FWIW, I seriously doubt you are going to find any accuracy in Hyper or Stinger ammo. Some High velocity stuff may group well
depending on the rifle but most of your luck is going to be in standard velocity ammo.

If you are shooting at true small bore 1/2 scale lever gun animals standard velocity should take down the rams with a reasonable hit '
99.9% of the time.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?