LA front sight height ....

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

LA front sight height ....

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Starting to mess around with lever action...... I have a Henry Frontier .22 and a Rossi R92 .44 Mag, both with Williams receiver sights..... and I want to install Lyman 17As on both .... Are there any guru type procedures for determing front sight height?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: LA front sight height ....

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Forgot to mention that both have 24 inch barrels.....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

The best way to find out what front sight height you need is to shoot and see. Usually you need a taller front sight when you switch from a semibuckhorn rear sight on the barrel to a rear sight on the receiver cover. I use the following formula to determine how much taller the front sight has to be.

Units are in inches. (sight radius X impact change) / target distance = front sight height difference

Lower the rear sight all the way down. Shoot at 40-50 yard target. If it shoots high then proceed with the formula. You need to know the height of the front sight after you shoot then apply the difference from the formula. Sight radius is the distance from the rear sight to the front sight. Impact change is the distance from the point of aim to the point of impact.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Thank you.....
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

My wife shoots a 24" Henry with a Williams FP-GR-TK rear sight. The 17AMI - .494" high front sight is the proper height for that combo.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Thank you.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Good Lord, 17AMIs are back ordered for 7-8 months.... guess I will have to order a high blade from Skinner and file it down to what I need.... or get a dove tail blank, and drill and tap it for a set screw, which I can adjust up and down until it works AR like. Any other ideas for a front sight for a Henry Frontier and a Rossi R92?⁸
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

I suggest the .500" 1/16" bead 505021 or 505022 front sight from Marble Arms.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Okay... I will take a look... thank you!
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

If shooting white animals, I'd probably go with a .5" tall flat blade and file it into a chevron profile.

For black animals I'd probably tape a .029" fiber optic strand on top of the flat blade.