Substitute for H4895?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Substitute for H4895?

Post by CamP »

I spoke to hodgdon yesterday and they won't receive any powder from Australia until next year. That includes varget and h4895.

Try Edgehit's Lil'gun load. It shoots moa at 200m in my gun.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

H4895 is very versatile for reduced loads, but I think AA5744 or Shooter's World Cowboy or Buffalo Rifle is nearly as good. Not sure what they brand it now, but in the past it's been called both Cowboy and Buffalo Rifle---the jug I have is labeled Buffalo Rifle, but my friends is labeled Cowboy. Either way it's very similar to AA5744. The Shooter's World site has good info on it. I use it in a number of cartridges, but it's very good with a 30-30 for cast or reduced jacketed loads.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Finding mild recoil with light bullets requires a faster burn rate than Varget, 4064, even 3031. The slow pistol powders and fast powders meant for 22 cal target rifles is what will give you accuracy at moderate velocities. Keep in mind, at a 32-20 will take down 100 meter full size pigs with a 100g bullet every time. Things get interesting at the turkey line if there’s any wind. I looked at 30 carbine loads and found an answer that appears to be safe and accurate.

Let us know what you found that works! And what didn’t work.
- Joe