2022 NRA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

2022 NRA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by lijeboy »

Posted today on the NRA Competitions website:

National Silhouette Championship - Lever Action Rifle
July 21-24, 2022
Raton, New Mexico

July 21 Registration
July 22 Lever Action
July 23 Smallbore Lever Action
July 24 Pistol Cartridge Lever Action

National Silhouette Black Powder Cartridge Rifle
July 26-30, 2022
Raton, New Mexico

July 26 Registration
July 27-28 Iron
July 29-30 Scope

National Silhouette Smallbore Championships
August 7-9, 2022
Ridgway, Pennsylvania

National Silhouette High Power Championships
August 11-13, 2022
Ridgway, Pennsylvania
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: 2022 NRA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by JohnHenry »

The National lever Action Rifle event is listed for one day. That's 80 shots.
Last year at the Western Nationals we shot the match in two days--40 shots each day. We finished around 2:30 in afternoon with 4 relays. In previous
Nationals, they did it that way,too.
80 shots will make a long day not only for the shooters, but the target setters also!
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

That's interesting.

Who is going to be the Match Director for the Lever gun (and the BPCR)? Jeannie, are you doing them?

With two big lever gun matches 2 weeks apart, is the NRA expecting people to go home and come back, or what?

Some clarity about this jumbled schedule would be helpful.

Thanks,
Brent
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

JohnHenry wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:09 pm The National lever Action Rifle event is listed for one day. That's 80 shots.
Last year at the Western Nationals we shot the match in two days--40 shots each day. We finished around 2:30 in afternoon with 4 relays. In previous
Nationals, they did it that way,too.
80 shots will make a long day not only for the shooters, but the target setters also!
Both years I ran NRA National matches, we were through with rifle caliber by noon each day. Of course, we had plenty of target setters, which is key. That is with four relays. It can be done comfortably, in my opinion, and save a day. I think it's a good idea.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Jeanne, you are absolutely wrong about the lever action rifle match length. I have shot this match since 2008, and we never finished 40 shots by noon each day. Greg Conners always allowed two days for 80 shots--40 shots each day.

Last year at the Western Nationals, we shot 40 shots each day. We finished two+ animals by noon and concluded the match each day around 2:30 pm. And you have to allow for shoot offs and weather conditions--allowing time for the sun to show up on the targets, etc.

What you are proposing isn't possible and will just cause undue hardship on the shooters. The average age of the competitors is 60+, and that's conservative.

What about the target setters? They are just kids, and they will be at the range until at least 6pm that day. And you expect them to be back at 8am the next day?

This program needs to be adjusted.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I don't have a dog in the fight BUT....

I'm excited, but I am a bit of a masochist by nature...

I ran a 120 shot big bore match with 80 shots in one day, 40 on the following. It was 3 relays and we had plenty of time.... My target setters were down to sub 5 minute resets by the end of the day. It is possible.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

JohnHenry wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:42 am Jeanne, you are absolutely wrong about the lever action rifle match length. I have shot this match since 2008, and we never finished 40 shots by noon each day. Greg Conners always allowed two days for 80 shots--40 shots each day.

Last year at the Western Nationals, we shot 40 shots each day. We finished two+ animals by noon and concluded the match each day around 2:30 pm. And you have to allow for shoot offs and weather conditions--allowing time for the sun to show up on the targets, etc.

What you are proposing isn't possible and will just cause undue hardship on the shooters. The average age of the competitors is 60+, and that's conservative.

What about the target setters? They are just kids, and they will be at the range until at least 6pm that day. And you expect them to be back at 8am the next day?

This program needs to be adjusted.

Jim,

Sorry, but I believe you are misremembering.

You are correct that these matches were drawn out when other people ran it; however,  we were through by noon the years I ran the NRA National Championships at Raton, thanks to the hardworking linespeople and other staff.

Efficiency is my middle name and it can be done again. 
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

BrentD wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:21 pm That's interesting.

Who is going to be the Match Director for the Lever gun (and the BPCR)? Jeannie, are you doing them?

With two big lever gun matches 2 weeks apart, is the NRA expecting people to go home and come back, or what?

Some clarity about this jumbled schedule would be helpful.

Thanks,
Brent

Brent,

It is a little confusing, I suppose, and I regret the circumstances that have us in this position.  The good news is, there will be two matches in Raton to choose from.  So if the timeline for one doesn't fit someone's schedule, maybe the other will.  People will just need to decide for themselves if they just want the Raton experience, or if they want the Raton experience AND a National Championship match.  And for those lucky enough to be able to shoot both, the rest of us are envious!
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by krgriggs »

I like the idea of it being a one day thing, makes it one less day for moteling and same amount of shooting we do on the other matches in a day. Will be less relays because there will be less shooters this year with two matches in same month
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

krgriggs wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:52 pm I like the idea of it being a one day thing, makes it one less day for moteling and same amount of shooting we do on the other matches in a day. Will be less relays because there will be less shooters this year with two matches in same month
Kevin,

I appreciate the opinion and concurrence of both you and Emmett, both veteran match directors. Thank you both.

jr
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Jeanne Ring, it sounds like you are the match director from the way you are responding.

Are you the match director for the NRA Lever gun nationals this year?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Yes, I would like to know who the match director(s) will be for LA (and BPCR). That makes a huge difference in what we will do and in the reservations we need to make very soon.

Jeanne, if you are running those two matches, that will make the decision harder. You have done them extremely well in the past. Jim's match last year was also excellent. But if the NRA has got some other plans, then my decision will probably be much simpler.

We need to know soon.

PS. Let me add, that I like the 2-day rifle lever match. I don't mind drawing it out and making a more relaxing time of the whole thing. I'm in no rush to leave. By the same token, I probably cannot stay for the entire month of July to shoot "everything".
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

The RUSH to finish 80 shots lever action rifle in one day is what bothers me. What is the sense in hurrying the match? It's supposed to be a fun experience, I thought. A couple of you, who commented that 80 shots in one day is ok, have not run a large match at Whittington. You just don't know the obstacles.

Last year there was limited availability of target setters. Whittington Center really had to shake the bushes to have 12 people there. Times have changed-- a lot of adults don't want to work anymore and their children are following suit. This is particularly true in Raton, NM.

Target setters were the biggest problem we had with the Western Nationals last year.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Brent, Jim Luke is running the Western Nationals again this year. Jeanne Ring is running the Nationals two weeks later. Just so this is clear, since you asked.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Jim,

Nothing is official yet, but, yes, I have been asked to run the matches this year for the NRA.  Thank you for making that announcement.

First off, thank you for your input, but:

We began our Lever Action program in Oklahoma around 2011.  Since that time I have ran easily over 100 club matches, that is over 100 each of Lever Action, Pistol Cartridge Lever Action,  and Smallbore Lever Action.

We had our first regional in 2012, and have had them annually, for a total of ten (10) regional matches that I have been match director for, again, Lever Action,  Pistol Cartridge Lever Action,  and Smallbore Lever Action at each of the ten (10) regional matches.

In 2018, I was match director for the NRA National Championships for Smallbore Rifle, Smallbore Hunter Rifle, High Power, High Power Hunter, BPCR, BPCR Scope, Lever Action, Pistol Cartridge Lever Action, and Smallbore Lever Action.  That's nine (9) National Championships

In 2019, I was match director for NRA National Championships for BPCR, BPCR Scope, Lever Action, Pistol Cartridge Lever Action, and Smallbore Lever Action.  That's five (5) National Championships.

You have shot at every regional match, a couple of the club matches, and everything but BPCR on the national level, both years.  Have ANY of those not run smoothly?  Do you recall any major problems that caused delay? 

Targetsetters ARE essential, and I know how to shuffle them around to maximize their usefulness.  I've done it at every match I've ran, and it is especially true in Raton. 

It is my belief that lever action can be done in one day, and I have proven it both years, but if Mr. Farmer chooses to have two, it's fine with me.  Whatever the shooters and Mr. Farmer want.  I know some folks have expressed their concern to him.

Again, people have a choice of two matches this summer, which is a good thing.  It is unfortunate the way they are scheduled.  But the bonus is, if there are some with enough time to kill, they can shoot your match to warm up for the NRA National Championships.  Either way, I don't see this as a negative.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.