1885 Low Wall for Smallbore Lever Gun Silhouette

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Number10GI
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 1885 Low Wall for Smallbore Lever Gun Silhouette

Post by Number10GI »

cedestech wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:29 am
psteiger wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:08 pm Come down to Houston. We shoot a cheater rifle class and anything open sight is allowed. The match director is a great guy and recognizes that people have guns that don't fit anywhere, (like he does) and has a class just for us.
I heard that guy is an unwiped a**...

He won't even wade into a topic like this and explain that with a modicum of reading around on this forum one would understand that there really isn't a "competition department" right now or a silhouette "committee" to request rules changes... The NRA currently has just 2 people to do everything with all competitions... which silhouette is but a small sliver.

He also wouldn't explain that part of the reason for single shots not being allowed by the rules is the inherent accuracy potential (1 MOA rifles vs 2-3MOA rifles) and longer sight radius in general (26-30" barrels vs 20-24")...

There is also the fact that the name of the game is "Lever Gun", not single shot rifle silhouette.

As previously mentioned, unless the local match director has a stick up their butt, they should allow you to participate at the club matches but not earn official points. Get 2 more people to shoot non-standard rifles and have your own class. The mentioned "cheater gun class" is open to anything and as the name implies, cheating is encouraged if not expected... early shots, 6+ shots, cross shooting someone elses animals (hopefully right as they are about to shoot them)... It's about enjoying being at the range with like minded people.

As far as single shot rifles being sanctioned for SB, PC or CLA, I don't see that happening.

;)
Thank you for the information. It makes sense that the low wall could be inherently more accurate than a lever gun giving me an advantage over other shooters. Unfortunately, I could have a 1/2 MOA capable rifle and still have no advantage.
Yes, the match directors allow me to shoot the low wall, but my scores aren't reported to the NRA. I guess I'll have to scratch my itch that way.
I don't want to go down in silhouette history as the guy who destroyed the institution. :roll:
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

No worries. Equipment has to be considered “equal” because shooters with in a class are considered “equal”.

As with most things in life, rifles and shooters are not born equal but that isn’t the point.

I think something was said about the Marlin 60 in SBLA and while it doesn’t have a lever or exposed hammer it is eligible. To be fair though, outside of a club event, I have never seen one shot. I think it was thrown in there because they are dirt cheap.

Enjoy shooting it however you like. Encourage a couple friends to bring odd ball rifles. We really do run a cheater rifle class. It’s tongue and cheek and fun. I have a CZ Ultra Lux I dearly enjoy shooting but there are no games for it, I drag it out randomly and will shoot it at the match for giggles. Steiger and a few others show up with random iron sight bolt guns as well.

You should try and go to or crank up a 22BPCR match. It is a hoot.

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

It wasn't me. :shock:
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I encourage you to send a letter to the NRA, I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

I believe several things are working against you.

Cowboy was taken out of the name of the sport.

The idea was an off the shelf lever action rifle, to have an even playing field competition with common hunting rifles everyone owned.

When it first started, the originators of the sport (Tony Tello and Jack Hill) felt that lever action 22 rifles were not as available to the average person, so they opened it up to all tube fed rifles, like marlin 60's.

As you know, all rounds need to be fired from the magazine, your rifle has none.

I would guess the next logical extension would be to do the same with pistol and rifle cartridge rifles as well.

Maybe even a bolt action rifle or a Ruger Number 1 or a... It just isn't what the game is about.

Like the person who wanted to use a red dot optic... just too much of a rat race and against the spirit of the game.

Just my two cents or sense.

Dennis O.
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

dwostler wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:54 pm Like the person who wanted to use a red dot optic... just too much of a rat race and against the spirit of the game.
To clarify, that person did not want to use a red dot sight. He was asking why a red dot sight would not be considered a receiver sight under the rules. He was interested because he has a neat “tactical” 30-30 that had no place for a front sight. He made some interesting points so I asked the question here because I’m not as familiar with the lever action rules.

This guy is a good friend of mine. He owns a beautiful plantation north of Baton Rouge with over 1000 acres. He got interested in the lever rifles and bought SB, PC & big bore lever rifles all with legal sights. I helped him design and build a NICE practice range in his property. He took instruction very well and practiced a lot and got pretty good. He even talked about upgrading his practice range and building a full competition silhouette range. He lurked around on here and was committed to learning. He registered for our lever action state championship in December.

Here’s where it gets sad: after he and I had the discussion about the legality of red dot sights and I put the question on this website, he read the overwhelmingly negative responses to the question (responses that didn’t actually answer the question but just criticized him for even asking it). He withdrew from the State Championship and has shown absolutely no interest in shooting since.

That was a big bummer. He would have been a GREAT addition to the sport but instead he was turned off completely by things written here and what he perceived to be the general attitude of silhouette shooters. It just goes to show that what we write on this website and on social media really matters because people are reading it.

Dustin
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I'm sorry Dustin, I didn't mean offense, I spoke without completely understanding his position.

I was just using that as a recent example as to changes to our game that go against the spirit of the game.

Sincerely, Dennis O.
The Bug Father
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Dennis,

You didn’t do anything wrong at all! When I read your comment it reminded me of the red dot thing and what happened. I was referring to a specific answer that was typed over on the lever action forum that my buddy read and I feel like it cost us a shooter.

My point is that we’re not just sitting around having a beer and a talk on this site. Our responses definitely are not private!

Dustin
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I’m sorry to hear that about your friend, hopefully he will change his mind and come shoot with us soon.
Even though people can be harsh on this forum, you normally can’t find a more friendly and helpful group of people on the firing line.
Dennis O.
The Bug Father