Scopes are coming!

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Scopes are coming!

Post by thauglor »

There is a picture of it only on their vx3hd page, but it isn't on their list with prices/models
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Thanks for that.
I had a look at this page https://www.leupold.com/shop/riflescope ... fle-scopes which doesn't show any 6.5-20x in the range, nor any with target turrets, nor the new reticle.
Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong link?
I'm looking for the specific part # (product number), if anybody has it?
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

No1_49er wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:05 am Thanks for that.
I had a look at this page https://www.leupold.com/shop/riflescope ... fle-scopes which doesn't show any 6.5-20x in the range, nor any with target turrets, nor the new reticle.
Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong link?
I'm looking for the specific part # (product number), if anybody has it?
It was on that page, but only in the sliding pictures. The previous link from cameraland had the part number but it is gone now. Looks like leupold caught the mistakes
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

OK, thanks.
No longer there on the sliding pictures. Only up to the 4.5-14x shown.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I send email to cameraland (Doug) last week asking when the new 6x20 will be available. So Doug sent me back and emai this week. He called his Leupold rep, the Leupold said it was discontinued.
My guess is Leupold will produce it, and the rep Doug talked with was uninformed. Just my guess.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

ter wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:10 am I send email to cameraland (Doug) last week asking when the new 6x20 will be available. So Doug sent me back and emai this week. He called his Leupold rep, the Leupold said it was discontinued.
My guess is Leupold will produce it, and the rep Doug talked with was uninformed. Just my guess.
He might have been referring to the old VX-3i. I held the new VX-3HD 6.5-20 with target diamond in my hand at SHOT show so it's definitely on its way. The fact that it is no longer showing on the Leupold website actually tells me that they have disabled that page and are probably loading it with information about the scope before they do an official release.

Midway USA already has the fine duplex reticle listed on their website with a status of "coming soon".

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023059174?pid=558868

Brownells also has it as a pre-order.
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounti ... ize_1=40mm

Leupold did say the Target Diamond reticle will be released after the fine duplex version but they are on their way!
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Thanks Erich for the update.
Good to know that Leupold hasn't forgotten the silhouette shooters and that it is, indeed, their intention to release that new 'scope.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

Emietenkorte wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:06 am I spoke to Leupold at SHOT show today and checked out the new VX-3HD 6.5-20x40. Great looking scope and will be available with the EFR reticle and the new 1/2 min target diamond! I was informed that they would be available by the end of the month! Now I know there will be skeptics with regards to availability but it's important to recognize that they are listening to silhouette shooters and trying to provide them with scopes that will be great for silhouette!

I also spoke to some other manufacturers about filling the void of optics for our wonderful sport! I'll be pushing hard so hopefully we can make something happen.
At least in the past, the EFR model was air rifle rated and focused down to air rifle distances. I'm not familiar with the diamond reticle rather than a dot, but I guess there must be some reason for it. The front focusing, I think, is more complex than the side focusing (parallax), but I'm guessing they are using the existing EFR main tube & etc with the upgraded glass of the newer series of scopes. When I communicated with Leupold late last year they were not aware of any specific timing of reopening the custom shop to install dot reticles in scopes. There was only one person working at the shop and everyone else was working from home as a COVID precaution. Maybe some day things will return to something approaching normal.

P.S. I hope enough people will buy this scope to justify Leupold manufacturing it for us.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

RBriscoe wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:32 pm P.S. I hope enough people will buy this scope to justify Leupold manufacturing it for us.
That right there… If someone makes Beef Wellington, you eat it.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

cedestech wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:17 pm
RBriscoe wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:32 pm P.S. I hope enough people will buy this scope to justify Leupold manufacturing it for us.
That right there… If someone makes Beef Wellington, you eat it.
Then they shouldn't have capped the power at 20X. They cut out a huge margin of shooters by doing that. I get that the 6.5-20 isn't an unpopular scope, but if I'm a company that plans to offer one product to cover an entire type of shooting sport, that one product would be built to be as appealing and versatile as it could be to increase my potential buyers. Producing a 6-24 scope excludes no one that is interested in a 6.5-20 and includes another chunk of potential buyers. 8-32 might be an option because I think there are more people shooting 24-32x than there are shooting 6.5-8, but that does start to bring in other variables which is why I think the 6-24 would have been the best compromise. Just my thought. I'm not interested in buying this scope at all and am just hoping that I might see a few FX-3s come to the secondary market because of it (I doubt that though).

Unless Premier is going to boost these too? Image
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I don't think they can cover a 4 times magnification range with that design.

That said I do think a 8-24 or even 12-36 would have been closer to the mark.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Grantmac wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:52 am I don't think they can cover a 4 times magnification range with that design.

That said I do think a 8-24 or even 12-36 would have been closer to the mark.
I agree. In their survey a year (or 2) ago I mention that 10-30 would be better for silhouette, I like the 12-36 power idea too. But it is hard to judge them, it is not my money I am telling them what to do. I just bought two leupolds 24 and 36 BR, so that is the power range I prefer
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

They very well may not can. I can't speak to the design limitations, but can speak to the limitations of the appeal of the final product. While I liked the fixed power options of the BR and FX etc etc scopes, not everyone did. They were exclusive in their potential market in the same way the lower power variable scopes are. Just a different side of the coin.

10-30 or 12-36 would be great. If they are sub ~19oz with decent eye relief, sounds like a winner to me.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

They're not going to make everyone happy, however this scope fills one of the most important roles that our sport needs right now... equipment for new shooters! We have to remember that these companies have to make a product that will reach a wide range of disciplines and shooters. It's easy to be upset and complain if we only think about ourselves. They are working on an 8.5-25 with the target diamond but had to make it with a 30mm tube to allow for more reticle travel for other disciplines besides silhouette. Only problem is with a larger tube comes more weight. There is only so much they can do and I think it's important to recognize the effort they are making to assist silhouette shooters.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Emietenkorte wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:57 pm They're not going to make everyone happy, however this scope fills one of the most important roles that our sport needs right now... equipment for new shooters! We have to remember that these companies have to make a product that will reach a wide range of disciplines and shooters. It's easy to be upset and complain if we only think about ourselves. They are working on an 8.5-25 with the target diamond but had to make it with a 30mm tube to allow for more reticle travel for other disciplines besides silhouette. Only problem is with a larger tube comes more weight. There is only so much they can do and I think it's important to recognize the effort they are making to assist silhouette shooters.
You said it Brother.... :ymapplause:
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer