Scopes are coming!

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Scopes are coming!

Post by Emietenkorte »

pdeal wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:15 pm Erich- I enjoyed your Leupold interview, thanks for that.

A really big thing for silhouette, maybe the biggest thing, is how the scope tracks. The innards as related to tracking is never mentioned in any Leupold literature. Most scope manufacturers don’t. Weaver used to make a big deal of it though and Sightron has too. I would like to know more about it in the Leupolds.

Also, does this scope have a one turn parallax ring? I had a Leupold 24x br scope. Very nice scope but heck it was multiple turns and I never could get the objective adjusted in a short time. I really like the way my weavers work in this restpect, one turn and graduated for 40,60,77, and 100m.
Thanks Peter, As far as tracking, I think one of the reasons scope manufacturers don't talk about their tracking system is... at this point, consumers just expect them to work. If they didn't work they wouldn't be selling scopes. I think now the scope game is about clarity. For the parallax ring, it's not a one turn, to get down to 10 yards it does take an additional revolution. In any case, these scopes would look great in your rings!
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Focusing to 10 yards is such an underrated feature. Good move there!
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Erich,

Thank you for the interview video. I am still undecided on whether I will buy one but it answered a few questions of mine.
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

Doodaddy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:54 pm Focusing to 10 yards is such an underrated feature. Good move there!
Dry firing at home!
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

c4p6t7r188 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:58 pm
Doodaddy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:54 pm Focusing to 10 yards is such an underrated feature. Good move there!
Dry firing at home!
Or live firing air/rimfire as well. I shoot 10 yard air in my shop pretty often.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Well if it's one turn except 10m then that should be pretty good for smallbore. Might be a challenge for air gunners.

Personally I think any mfr that makes a competition scope that doesn't focus to 10m isn't serious about their business. Winter is long and cold here and a scope that will focus to 10m makes it shorter!

FYI- the Weaver T24's can be made to focus to 10m. Probably the T36's can too but I don't have one of those. There is a little screw in the objective that limits the objective to 1 turn. If you remove this screw it will focus down to 10m.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

In the past, EFR scopes have been spring gun air rifle rated (spring guns recoil in both directions and many scopes won’t stand up to that). I don’t know if this will be the case with the new scopes, but I would expect it to be the case as focusing to 10 meters is to accommodate air rifles.
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

Sooooo........ here we are 2 weeks from SB/HP Nationals and as expected, this promised new scope is nowhere to be found. (apart from the select lucky few that won them somewhere) I was debating with someone a few months ago about the expected availability of this scope and it seems my point of view has won out. I have yet to see one listed for sale anywhere. It's not listed on Leupold's website. If you do a search on "Reticles" link on a drop down on Leupold's website, you can find a picture of the reticle. But when you click on the details, and scroll down to look for models with this reticle, there is a message that states .......................
"Products with Diamond Reticle"
"We can't find products matching the selection."
So to those select few that were lucky enough to obtain some early models from Leupold, good for you. I guess the rest of us common folk are left out in the cold.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

K Danz wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:31 pm Sooooo........ here we are 2 weeks from SB/HP Nationals and as expected,
So to those select few that were lucky enough to obtain some early models from Leupold, good for you. I guess the rest of us common folk are left out in the cold.
You do realize “SB/HP silhouette” is a tiny microcosm of the entire world wide scope market? 1/4” tall adjustable turrets and a fine line with 3/8 - 1/2” target dot reticle and an objective that adjusts from 40 yards to infinity is just not almost anyones first, second or 15th choice for any other game or hunting.

Do you know what it takes for a company, regardless of size to stop a production line, come up with those specifications and tool up for a batch of scopes?

Do you have any idea what the break even point is to tool up for such a run vs what the market will bear?

The fact that they are even giving credence or putting forth any effort to make an attempt to satisfy such a niche market is commendable. Not something you should publicly ridicule them for.

I am sure it is out of frustration. But if you needed a scope that bad why haven’t you put a ISO/WTB ad in the classifieds here or the 2 or three other larger forums where people who used to shoot silhouette but have migrated away would see it and may be willing to help you out.

Berating them for not producing a product that they will be extremely lucky to break even on isn’t the way to get them to produce it any faster or put it any higher on their priority list.

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

My recollection is that Leupold last commented either late this year or later this year. Why don't you call customer service and ask what the status is?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Just for fun, I asked the gentlemen in the optics department at Primary Arms, what it would take to get a batch of the soon to be released 6-24 x40 hunting scopes ordered with a 3/8" dot reticle. I was told a minimum order of 3000 units. I don't think there are 3000 silhouette shooters in the country. I was looking at a price of $450 or so retail. Even then, I don't think they'd sell 300 scopes, period. So the promise of Leupold actually doing something make my heart go pitter, patter.....Wait why does my left arm suddenly hurt......
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

psteiger wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:35 pm Just for fun, I asked the gentlemen in the optics department at Primary Arms, what it would take to get a batch of the soon to be released 6-24 x40 hunting scopes ordered with a 3/8" dot reticle. I was told a minimum order of 3000 units. I don't think there are 3000 silhouette shooters in the country. I was looking at a price of $450 or so retail. Even then, I don't think they'd sell 300 scopes, period. So the promise of Leupold actually doing something make my heart go pitter, patter.....Wait why does my left arm suddenly hurt......
I am a bit surprised the minimum order is that high (I would have thought it would be around 1000 but I am not a business guy) and I agree with your assesment that you will have trouble selling 300 specific silhouette scopes in 1 year. We are a super small market compared to the rest of the shooting sports
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

actually I meant 300 period.......not in a year, total. I was also surprised it was 3000 scopes..... I'd bet there aren't 300 Pemier Reticle 18 -40's out there. We are extremely small minority. :ar!
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

psteiger wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:30 am actually I meant 300 period.......not in a year, total. I was also surprised it was 3000 scopes..... I'd bet there aren't 300 Pemier Reticle 18 -40's out there. We are extremely small minority. :ar!
Yeah I meant to write 100 scopes in the first year, even with a scope perfectly suited for silhouette there won't be that many sold in the first year, then every year there are less and less to be sold
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I seem to remember that these scopes have already hit the market with the regular duplex reticle so they are making it out into the marketplace. The diamond reticle is what I have not seen for sale yet. With it being g a brand new reticle design with what I expect would be a limited customer base I am not surprised hat it is lagging behind.

I imagine that Leupold is having the same sort of supply chain and personal issues the rest of the country is having.

I am sure that they wouldn’t go through the trouble to developed the diamond reticle to not want to make money selling it. they need to recoup their R&D costs.

Stuff happens.