Couple of newby questions

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Couple of newby questions

Post by DonM »

Read thru the rule book and I'm wondering if my 94 winchester that I use the One Ragged Hole sight on would be a legal rifle? It looks to me like a sort of grey area.

Can't use a spotting scope, but can use binoculars. So I'm assuming the binoculars can't be mounted on a tripod? But what about resting on a single pole shooting stick?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Couple of newby questions

Post by DonM »

And one more dummy question.,,, Would the Skinner sight that mounts in the grooves on the top of a Henry lever 22 be approved...

Reason for asking these, 2 or 3 of us old rancher types are tossing around the idea of going to Jim Lukes Levergun Nationals at Raton, and staying on for the 22bpcr match. We're experienced at the 22 bpcr, but none of us have ever seen a lever gun silhouette match.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Hi Don,

Most any type of iron sights will be allowed, as long as the only lens is in the rear and it is only 1 lens. The front is limited to length and diameter.

I can't answer your bino question, people rest their elbows on shooting tables holding the binoculars and some use a stabilized version.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

DonM wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:06 am Snip< So I'm assuming the binoculars can't be mounted on a tripod? But what about resting on a single pole shooting stick?> Snip
I would suggest the Zeiss Carl Optical 20x60 Image Stabilization Binocular while using a 1885 Low Wall to help stabilize them. If needed you could petition the NRA for a rule change to get them allowed. Add a little spice to your shooting endeavor. ;)
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

thauglor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 am Hi Don,

Most any type of iron sights will be allowed, as long as the only lens is in the rear and it is only 1 lens. The front is limited to length and diameter.

I can't answer your bino question, people rest their elbows on shooting tables holding the binoculars and some use a stabilized version.
Thanks for the info. It's just some questions we had should we decide to try this lever gun silhouette match. Not wanting to change any rules, not wanting to have some dickhead throw a fit about the equipment we might bring.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Don, we will be glad to see you at the match.

Basically any open sight rear sight, buck-horn, receiver, tang or vernier with a post or bead front sight.

Image stabilized binoculars are very common, Canon leading the pack, shop for price 10x or 12x works well for everything, but just bring what you have, it should work out fine even if it is not.

Having an adjustable and repeatable rear sight is better than a fixed sight, as it lets to track your sight settings for the different distances.
Kind of like what you do in black powder rifle.

Thanks, Dennis O.
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Dennis I have some very good binoculars, but the ones we like the best for spotting this short distance stuff is a pair of 16x50 Vortex. but they are a bit heavy and awkward to hold for very long without a rest of some sort.. One or the other of our wives will likely be spotting, so will probably just bring the 8x35 leoupolds.
I like the One Ragged hole sight on my 94, but was a bit worried it might not fit regulation. I don't care much for a globe sight on lever guns, so just shoot the post or the bead, depending on which rifle it is.
I guess I need to go out on my home range and set some rams on the 200 meter line and see if my 44-40 will reliably take them off the rail, that might simplify things a bit.
I have a Williams peep for my Henry 003, but one of the other fellas has a Golden boy and was wondering about the skinner sight.
We'll sit down and figure out if we want to go try this, none of the 3 of us life anywhere near a lever gun sillohuette match , but we do take in 22 bpcr, and bpcr matches, mostly the target rifle. So if we do this we'll be pure D newbies. LOL
Hopefully this works out. I like the Whittington so much I'm a patriot life member and have been for quite awhile.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Don, everything you have listed, should work fine.

I use a 44 mag for the 200 meter game, subsonic 240gr takes the rams repeatably.

Others use a 38-55 or similar at that distance for lower recoil.

Just a lot of elevation at that distance, your 44-40 should have no problem, just hope you have enough elevation range at 200 meters with your "one ragged hole" rear sight. I use a globe front sight, because I can match rear and front sight "circles" to help more precise sight alignment.

I too like that sight, but I use a Redfield receiver rear sight for the finer elevation adjustment range.

You should be able to also use your 44-40 for the pistol cartridge 100 meter game as well.

When you're at the match, ask to try a pair of the Canon's, they are pretty neat.

I got my first pair maybe 15 years ago, still working well.

PM me your address and I can mail you a NRA rules book or if you prefer a PDF file emailed to you, just provide your email address.

Best advice is to shoot what you have and try other peoples stuff, before buying. It has been a hard lesson for me to learn.

Welcome to the game, Dennis O.
The Bug Father
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

The orh is on the 30-30 and I know it has plenty of elevation because it's no big trick to shoot right over the top of a coyote at 300 yds. LOL
The 44=40 I have outfitted with an MVA vernier sight and I changed the obscenely tall front sight they put on it with a shorter one, and it has no prolbems shooting gong matches at 200 meters and further. My biggest concern is not ringing the 200 meter rams, so probably just go with the 30wcf for the big rifle match.
The Henry 22 is the one that needs something mobeta for a rear sight. Put one of the Williams peeps on it and even with that tall bead they put on those rifles, it's still pretty tough to get low enough to not have to hold well under the chickens, and I'm guessing it might take a pretty deep 6 o'clock hold on the pigs.
Looking forward trying this.
Probably should get ahold of Griz and see if he's doing lever gun at Byers this year and go give em a test run.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Other than finding the tallest front sight of all times, maybe slowing down the ammo.

I've had good luck with several subsonic 22lr's that work well.

Winchester and CCI and a few others, make a couple of 42gr + loads called suppressor and they have worked well.

Heavy weight is a plus, slower speed is a minus but will give you a better chance at getting the chickens and pigs with a reasonable sight setting.

When you go to the match, look for the guy taking the pictures, that will be me.

Thanks, Dennis O.
The Bug Father
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

I've got a good variety of 22 target ammo, and some of the Aquila sniper subsonic with the 60 gr bullet.. Never thought about trying that in this Henry.
It will take the 22bpcr rams off the rail, but I'm not convinced it has consistent accuracy at 200 meters, but at the shorter distances in lever gun.....
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Maybe with a fast enough twist.

Or look at some of the other ammo you have, look for the lowest velocity. maybe use it only for Chickens and pigs.

Only problem you might run into is a windage shift, going from one to the others.

Dennis O.
The Bug Father
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

It really likes the SK magazine, that flat nosed stuff that comes in the 500 round cans and smells like crayons when you open it.
I'll get something figured out with the thing.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

Don

Before I got my 1894 Winchester in 38-55 last year I exclusively shot a 44-40 in the 200 meter game. Yes I "rang" a few rams, but not many. One of the last I remember because I hit it twice with my 44-40 ( 220gr, 20-1 alloy, 1350fps muzzle velocity) was also rung with a 38-55 and 35 Remington. The damn thing never fell. The pads on the ram could not slide due to burrs/old welds on the rail.
On the other side of the story is the regional match where a 30-30 with 180gr bullets propelled by Varget was ringing rams that my 44-40 was knocking over.
The moral of the story is don't be afraid to use the 44-40 in the 200 meter game.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Thanks David, just bringing two rifles will certainly keep things simpler.