Front sight preferences (bead, post, aperture....)

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Front sight preferences (bead, post, aperture....)

Post by Jetmugg »

Good afternoon everyone:

I had the opportunity to check out a pistol cartridge lever action match yesterday at Benchrest Rifle Club of St Louis. The match director was kind enough to let me test fire a couple of different rifles before the official match started.

I'm on my way to getting into this discipline, and wonder what the "popular" front sights are for either smallbore or pistol cartridge lever silhouette matches. Post, bead, aperture, fiber-optic???

In my mind, I've always liked the notion of an aperture sight on the front for target shooting (i.e. most bullseye targets are round). However, with the shapes of the silhouette targets, it's obvious that a round aperture may not be the best choice.

Just curious at this point, trying to learn what the more experienced shooters prefer.

Steve.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Front sight preferences (bead, post, aperture....)

Post by JohnHenry »

Steve, front sight inserts are interesting. I've seen shooters use all manner of sights in this game.
For the last 4 years I've used an aperture insert. I can't say it is the best sight to use, but I like it because I look at the target thru that hole and don't have to concentrate on the aperture itself. My eye naturally centers the target in the aperture. It took me about three months of steady shooting with the aperture to become used to it. I can call my shots just as well with the aperture as the post

Now, that said, the odd shape of the silhouettes is a problem, especially the rams.

A filament front sight is very popular. William Zander is making one which I think is the best I've seen to date. I believe he uses a .020 diameter red filament so that the sight can be placed inside the animal. The larger filaments don't allow this. The hood on William's sight is clear plastic, so there is no problem with enough light on the sight.

Post front sights and lollipops are all popular, too, using center or 6 o'clock holds.

I'd suggest you try the various sight inserts to see what you like best. Your choice of insert will probably depend on how good your vision is. Lever gun silhouette is an eyesight game. With the iron sights, a shooter has to have good vision to score well.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I've gone old school... litteraly open tall bead on all my rifles. Near sighted and need to see the front sight.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828233915
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

Great input, guys.

Like many of you (us), my vision is not as good as it was. I'm 53 years old, and my vision is not getting any better. Overall, my eyesight is decent, but not wonderful. I'm slightly nearsighted (about 20/40 vision), so will definitely want to experiment with different options in terms of rear aperture size and front sight variations.

Looking forward to having a "New to me" rifle before the next Smallbore Lever Action match at BRRC, which I believe is on the schedule for 3/27/2022.

Thanks again,

Steve.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

JohnHenry wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:54 am
William Zander is making one which I think is the best I've seen to date. I believe he uses a .020 diameter red filament so that the sight can be placed inside the animal. The larger filaments don't allow this. The hood on William's sight is clear plastic, so there is no problem with enough light on the sight.
Jim:

This sounds VERY interesting to me. I have been unable to find any information on this William Zander sight. Is he the same guy that runs Zander's Sporting Goods in Sparta, IL?

Zander's Sporting goods lists about 680 sight options. I checked through the offerings, but didn't see anything that matched the description you provided above.

https://shop2.gzanders.com/firearms-acc ... ights.html
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Steve, Zanders Sporting Goods is not related to William Zander. At least I don't think so. I'll give you his number off line.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

Thank you, Jim.

I didn't get the desired information through a google search, most likely because of the association of both words (William and Zander) with other firearm-related content. (i.e. Williams gunsights and Zander's Sporting Goods). Both Williams Gun Sight company and Zander's Sporting goods offer rifle sights, but I was unable to find an exact match for your description (clear hood and 0.020" diameter fiber optics).

Steve
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

William Sander is a silhouette shooter, just happens to have the same name as those two stores