Single shot adapters

This is what we do.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Single shot adapters

Post by Grantmac »

Did I read correctly that hunter class no longer needs to feed from the mag? Looking to get rid of the protruding part on my Tikka mag via a single shot adapter.
I can support the rifle without touching the mag but the finger contortion isn't great.

Thanks,
Grant
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Single shot adapters

Post by thauglor »

That is correct, can single load for a while now, I did at the nationals in 2018 and no one questioned it

That magazine on the t1x does make it hard to hold, that and no good 2 stage trigger is why I sold mine
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

2020 NRA Rule Book "3.2.1 Smallbore Hunting Silhouette Rifle - Identical to the description of the High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle, except that (a) the rifle may be a single-loading rifle"
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Cheers!

Several good 2 stages available now, however I seem to shoot a single better right now?
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I had the Timney, it was okay, had lots of over travel which was nice. Haven't tried the Midas 2 stage but reading some reviews it barely has any over travel
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

DIP makes a great adapter for T1X that takes the “ Guppy Belly “ off the mag and is very comfortable.
You can see a video on Rimfire Central under Tikka.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Not super interested in the DIP bottoms because I run NRL22 and want at least 10 rds when using mags. Don't mind single loading for silhouette.

I've heard the Midas is a good trigger, Bix'n Andy and Trigger Tech are also available for the Tikka. I've heard the Timney is just so/so. Personally I like overtravel.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Had a friend print one from a free design found online. For whatever reason they designed it with a bottom about as big as the DIP plate. Cut that off with a hacksaw and had to "sharpen" the catch a little to keep it engaged otherwise worked perfectly. Found single loading easier than topping mags up for the most part.
Definitely less problematic to hold however I still seem to shoot best on the trigger guard with my fingers around the bolt.
This was my third shoot since restarting after a +5 years hiatus and I'm now back in AA for hunter and just need one more in standard rifle so things are going well.
Considering a trigger upgrade along with taller rings and building up the check rest with some adhesive foam.
Daddio!
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Daddio! »

Grantmac wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:48 pm Had a friend print one from a free design found online. For whatever reason they designed it with a bottom about as big as the DIP plate. Cut that off with a hacksaw and had to "sharpen" the catch a little to keep it engaged otherwise worked perfectly. Found single loading easier than topping mags up for the most part.
Definitely less problematic to hold however I still seem to shoot best on the trigger guard with my fingers around the bolt.
This was my third shoot since restarting after a +5 years hiatus and I'm now back in AA for hunter and just need one more in standard rifle so things are going well.
Considering a trigger upgrade along with taller rings and building up the check rest with some adhesive foam.
Grant,

Full disclosure...it's PWNolan from over on RFC. I'd be interested in knowing where your friend downloaded the Tikka SSA file from online. I found one on Thingiverse but it's a ECI and not a SSA. I've checked all the other 3D printing sites that I know of and haven't seen anything
"Of all of the things I've lost I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4311036

Wasn't a bad print but not perfect.

I look forward to having yours in hand since they seem well regarded. I think a "silhouette" version could be popular like I mentioned on RFC. I use my pinky to pop this one out with that base cut off but then again it's not the tightest fit.

What I'd really like to design is a new bottom metal that's flat with an integral single shot adapter. I might machine something since I'm garbage with 3D design.
Daddio!
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Daddio! »

Grantmac wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:17 pm https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4311036

Wasn't a bad print but not perfect.

I look forward to having yours in hand since they seem well regarded. I think a "silhouette" version could be popular like I mentioned on RFC. I use my pinky to pop this one out with that base cut off but then again it's not the tightest fit.

What I'd really like to design is a new bottom metal that's flat with an integral single shot adapter. I might machine something since I'm garbage with 3D design.
Thanks Grant! I've searched Thingiverse several times looking for accessories for the T1x and hadn't seen this one. It's interesting that some of the design aspects are choices and it's basically the same as mine. Not saying this person copied anything. I think we both decided to base our designs on the magazine shape. A couple of the magazine details weren't really necessary, at least from I could tell. Let me know over on RFC how that flush mount SSA works out for you. I still haven't found time to put my barreled action back in the factory stock to try it. If it fits the same as it does in the KRG stock it'll be recessed in the mag well a little. Maybe not ideal but at least there's no base for you to deal with. The base is a non-issue for me shooting offhand because for most rifles I own I use my thumb on the trigger guard and finger tips in front of the magazine.
"Of all of the things I've lost I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I'll definitely let you know. If it's inset too much I can just build it up a little.

For some reason I can't do the spread finger hold without it feeling unstable. I'm a trigger guard rester and in the case of the Tikka I hold the bolt handle with my middle, ring and pinky then rest the index on top of the bolt dust cover. Sounds weird but seems to be consistent.
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by CoolArrowMarksman »

Would love to see some single shot adapters that allowed for a full flush seating.
I like a flat palm or top of fist hold and everything seems to have a magazine in the way. The 10/22 flush fitting magazine is one thing I will miss about shooting it.

That's one of the appeals I see to doing a custom 40x action build, having the option to make it a single shot repeater with no magazines to fuss about.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I bought a few 3D printed single shot adaptors off a guy on eBay. Contacted him afterwards and asked him about a shorter flush-mount version. He took my suggestion and made a few for me which work great in my McDonald-stocked 1710. The mag release button is the most obtrusive part of the mag system now.

Unfortunately I don't think he's selling them anymore, but you might contact PWNolan on Rimfire Central and ask him to make a batch.
Allen Corneau
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by CoolArrowMarksman »

acorneau wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:05 pm I bought a few 3D printed single shot adaptors off a guy on eBay. Contacted him afterwards and asked him about a shorter flush-mount version. He took my suggestion and made a few for me which work great in my McDonald-stocked 1710. The mag release button is the most obtrusive part of the mag system now.

Unfortunately I don't think he's selling them anymore, but you might contact PWNolan on Rimfire Central and ask him to make a batch.
Awesome thank you!