.177 or .22 FT lbs

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
luuc33
Unclassified Poster

.177 or .22 FT lbs

Post by luuc33 »

Everyone hope all is well.

Started last fall shooting again when I showed up for the smallbore state championship in AZ last year. I have a question concerning silhouette air rifle. If one uses .177 or .22 is there a foot pound maximum due to the possibility of target damage? Also, is there such a thing or demand for air rifle nationals? Just curious on last question.

I have a .22 Umarex Origin (Tack driver) and a solid QB 79 that has a paintball bottle. I Have had the QB for several years and is extremely accurate at 10 meters (750 FPS) in .177. Reason being the Origin even with hammer spring is turned all the way down is still up there on ft lbs.

Thanks
Sunday Gods Day to go Shooting

Luuc
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Re: .177 or .22 FT lbs

Post by Grantmac »

Officially no, but I think most target owners would prefer you limit power to under 20ft/lbs in either caliber.
luuc33
Unclassified Poster

Post by luuc33 »

Thank you for the response, I will probably get another .177 and not push it past the 20 ft lbs. Most likely unregulated and max 3000 psi max fill. just need 50 consistent shots. Plenty of growth in the Air Rifle arena, alot of good shooting air rifles for the money.

Luuc
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

luuc33 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:21 am If one uses .177 or .22 is there a foot pound maximum due to the possibility of target damage?
As Grant said, keep it under 20 ft/lbs. You really don't need that much power either, 15-18 is plenty.

Also, is there such a thing or demand for air rifle nationals? Just curious on last question.
Dustin Flint hosted air rifle nationals in Baton Rouge for several years but the NRA pulled it after 2018. If we can boost participation in air rifle silhouette we could probably get nationals going again. Add an air rifle match on to your existing smallbore match, even if you start with a single set of swingers. Once you get enough folks interested you can figure out full sets of animals (either resettables or stand-alone).
Allen Corneau
luuc33
Unclassified Poster

Post by luuc33 »

Excellent point, several of us in our shooting community have air rifles and some are getting older ones back in running shape (reseals). Might take couple of tries but we should see if we can get some traction during our weekly match or possibly once a week in the evening we could get together.

Thanks Again

Luuc