54.18 who has a custom stock made for hunter class?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

54.18 who has a custom stock made for hunter class?

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

I was wondering who out there has had a custom stock made for their Anschutz 54.18 made that was light enough for hunter class with lets say a Leupold VX3i 6.5-20.

Who did you go with to make the stock? I'm looking to have a Pharr style stock, but last time I contacted tumbleweed they just directed me to buy a McMillan stock? So I found that weird. About how much did you pay?
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 54.18 who has a custom stock made for hunter class?

Post by CoolArrowMarksman »

Interested in this answer as well.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

You do know that you have to change the barrel to be legal in Hunter class. If you don't change the barrel do as Mark suggested and get the Anschutz design stock that looks like a factory MSR stock. If you change the barrel you can get a custom stock made for around 750.00 that will (generally) make weight with a #4 or #5 contour barrel.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

Merlin wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:57 pm You do know that you have to change the barrel to be legal in Hunter class. If you don't change the barrel do as Mark suggested and get the Anschutz design stock that looks like a factory MSR stock. If you change the barrel you can get a custom stock made for around 750.00 that will (generally) make weight with a #4 or #5 contour barrel.
I completely forgot about that! Even though it's just barely, shouldn't this little nub count as a taper since the barrel isn't 100% one size?
https://ibb.co/XSmwNFX
Last edited by c4p6t7r188 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Mark sent you to McMillan because they are making “Pharr” style stocks now…..

Wooster also makes a “Pharr” style stock as well as one of his own design.

To be a Hunter class rifle, Merlin is correct that you will need to rebarrel and it’ll need to be in the 4-5 contour or similar taper. I have a 1712 and a 54.18 both in Wooster stocks, both 26” barrels and both #4ish contours. Both make weight with a couple ounces to spare.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

c4p6t7r188 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:11 pm
I completely forgot about that! Even though it's just barely, shouldn't this little nub count as a taper since the barrel isn't 100% one size?
No, tapered from muzzle to receiver.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

cedestech wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:14 pm
Damn. I understand. Thank you.

I guess I will look in to rebarreling it. Is there someone that does stock and rebarreling, I would assume someone would be able to. I don't trust my self or the people in my area!
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

cedestech wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:14 pm
I'd like to see where it's written that the taper must be continuous.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

As cedestech wrote, tapered from muzzle to receiver.

The specification rule 3.2.1 refers back to 3.1.1.(e) which says:

Barrel: A hunting style contoured barrel that tapers from chamber to muzzle. Bull barrels are not permitted. A factory tuner that does not act as a muzzle brake or compensator is permitted. Maximum barrel length is 26 inches, including tuner. (See Rule 3.16.1).

But, I'll put on my pedantic hat now.
Taper is not defined. Period.
If a barrel starts life at the chamber end at, say, 1 inch dia, and tapers to,say, 0.98 inch at the muzzle, then it is tapered.
Who says that that is not tapered, or that it is not a "hunting style". These, and "bull barrel" are undefined terms, therefore open to (mis)interpretation.

Over to the board.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Hands down Steve Wooster is the go to stock guy. He does his own style, The Pharr Style, and a hybrid that is the best of his and a Pharr. He is full service when it comes to stocks. IMO the hybrid is about as perfect as you can get!!!!
As for the barrel a friend of mine bought a 54-18 barreled action from Anschutz North America. It is a tapered barrel and he put a Pharr stock on that Steve Wooster made and he shoots it in hunter rifle with no problems at all. Steve also has a guy that does barrels for him and I have heard that Steve is starting to do 22 barrels also. Call Steve and talk with him. Great guy and he will take care of you. The problem u may run into is getting a barrel.
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

44 mag wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:55 am Hands down Steve Wooster is the go to stock guy. He does his own style, The Pharr Style, and a hybrid that is the best of his and a Pharr. He is full service when it comes to stocks. IMO the hybrid is about as perfect as you can get!!!!
As for the barrel a friend of mine bought a 54-18 barreled action from Anschutz North America. It is a tapered barrel and he put a Pharr stock on that Steve Wooster made and he shoots it in hunter rifle with no problems at all. Steve also has a guy that does barrels for him and I have heard that Steve is starting to do 22 barrels also. Call Steve and talk with him. Great guy and he will take care of you. The problem u may run into is getting a barrel.
Thanks, sending you a PM.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I have a Wooster stock on my 1712 that I got from cedestech used. I also just received a few Tumbleweed style blanks from McMillan and am working on a similar project to what you're after. The Wooster stock seems hollow and therefore lighter than the McMillan will probably be. For my own quirky reasons I think I like the McMillan pattern better but we'll see how all the weight issues play out. I'm using a Lilja 1712 taper blank. As of now the barrel is longer than my 1712 but it may need to be chopped some in the end.

I've heard, I think, that Anschutz was bringing the 54.18 repeater barreled action back to the market. I think to try to capture some of the market in the "precision market"? Just something that's running around in my brain and may be wrong but worth a call to Anschutz North America.
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

pdeal wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:02 am I have a Wooster stock on my 1712 that I got from cedestech used. I also just received a few Tumbleweed style blanks from McMillan and am working on a similar project to what you're after. The Wooster stock seems hollow and therefore lighter than the McMillan will probably be. For my own quirky reasons I think I like the McMillan pattern better but we'll see how all the weight issues play out. I'm using a Lilja 1712 taper blank. As of now the barrel is longer than my 1712 but it may need to be chopped some in the end.

I've heard, I think, that Anschutz was bringing the 54.18 repeater barreled action back to the market. I think to try to capture some of the market in the "precision market"? Just something that's running around in my brain and may be wrong but worth a call to Anschutz North America.
The barreled actions are for sale now and EXPENSIVE!
https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/ba ... tions.html
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

The ANA 54-18 will have the same problem in that it does not have a tapered barrel and it also has a big fat barrel that would not make Hunter weight. You would also have to work on the trigger to get it up to legal pull weight. Best hope is that Kathy gets some more 1712 barreled actions in and use one of those. If you buy a 1710 barreled action you will have to have a stock made of balsa wood to make weight. If the McMillan stock is any heavier than a Wooster I don't see how you could use it and hope to make Hunter weight.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

Merlin wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:11 am The ANA 54-18 will have the same problem in that it does not have a tapered barrel and it also has a big fat barrel that would not make Hunter weight. You would also have to work on the trigger to get it up to legal pull weight. Best hope is that Kathy gets some more 1712 barreled actions in and use one of those. If you buy a 1710 barreled action you will have to have a stock made of balsa wood to make weight. If the McMillan stock is any heavier than a Wooster I don't see how you could use it and hope to make Hunter weight.
I kind of understand what you're saying, but did you see the picture I linked? It technically tapers, but I'm not trying to open a can of worms. I have no idea what a wooster stock etc would weigh, so technically like you're saying no matter what it may need another barrel.

I do have a 1712 with a 18" barrel I use for both classes, but I just thought I would treat myself if I could get this 54.18 to work for both.