Awards

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Awards

Post by jbmarshtx »

There was a thread a bit back on accurateshooter about prize tables. Prize tables as in winners get to pick a merchandise from the table. My preference is to do a random drawing so everyone has a chance to get something, especially if donated and since many of the top shooters may get heavily discounted product already.

With that said, what are y'alls preferences for awards, or what awards have you received that you liked/kept?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Awards

Post by acorneau »

In my mind awards and door prizes are two different things.

I think awards should be a fairly deliberate commemorative item for the match and award being given, like a trophy with engraved placard saying "Super-Duper Whatever Championship, 2nd place, AA class, Hunter Rifle".

Door prizes can be whatever the crowd might like; ammo, t-shirts, cleaning kits, etc. Anyone who is sponsored or doesn't want the item offered could pick something else or give their prize to a junior.
Allen Corneau
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Along the lines of what Allen said, I think the trophies that are unique in someway to the location of the match are really awesome! Aren't there a lot of armadillos in TX? How bout a taxidermy armadillo mounted to a board with a placement plaque? I'm only half kidding... I would totally take a stuffed armadillo trophy! That would be pretty cool actually hahaha!
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

I agree that I try to do awards separate.

Armadillo...that's a good idea. I don't know that I'll use it for proper awards this year, but maybe as a fun award.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Awards and Door Prizes are 2 different things.

I am the one who chooses the awards for multiple Regional and National matches each year. I try to find something that is useable and not a dust collector. This year it was 20oz engraved stainless insulated tumblers and 12oz stainless coffee mugs for teams. Already have something in mind for 2023. Cost is always something to consider.

As for Door Prizes
High dollar items (guns, actions, scopes, spotting scopes, and some others) a name is randomly drawn and u get that particular prize.
For other things (hats,t-shirts,mugs,back packs and others) I put them on a table and names are randomly drawn and u come and get what u want. I normally do this during the dinner that way most everyone is still there(people tend not to miss a free meal but I normally will not get to eat as the caterer is gone by the time I am done giving out the prizes. Thanks Kelly Engle for getting me a plate this year).

DuringThe High Power Nationals this year I decided to mix it up a bit. I had 2 Rifles, 2 Reloading Kits, and a Spotting Scope.
At lunch I had the winners from the morning match from each class come in the office. They were representing there class.
Starting with B class and finishing with Master each shooter picked a prize there class would shoot off for on there shoot off animal. Then the stat ladies randomly drew 10 names for each class as that’s how many banks we have. (and no I didn’t get drawn).
We called up B class through AAA and they shot a sudden death shoot off on there shoot off animal. If u hit stay on the line if u miss your done. When they were finished Master class came up and did the same.
I didn’t realize at the time as this was just something I came up with how well the shooters would enjoy it. I am willing to bet 75% of the shooters came up to me weather they were drawn or not and told me how much they enjoyed that.
If I have 5 big prizes again this is the way I will do it.
And NO u don’t fill out a 1099 at the matches I run for winning a door prize no matter what the value is!!!!
Mike Haynes