vertical grip stocks - peace through understanding

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Heavybarrell
A Poster
A Poster

Re: vertical grip stocks - peace through understanding

Post by Heavybarrell »

That's a beautiful stock! Any chance it's for sale? I want build a new HP Hunter.

Heavybarrel
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

That was for sale last fall by Gerry here on steel chickens. That's where I got the picture. Here is the link.
viewtopic.php?t=14708
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

Thank you heavy barrel !
I was beginning to think that everyone who has been shooting silhouette as long as I have - missed the various designations such as : Open class rifle
Standard rifle
Hunter rifle for smallbore !
Hunter for smallbore was only offered towards the late nineties .
And not everyone recognized this designation !
Let’s face facts :
A Remington BDL high power rifle in some caliber more like
.308 was commonly used at the beginning of NRA sanctioned events ! The beginnings of American style stocks for offhand shooting was common place . The scores reflected the lack of user friendly equipment . The notorious Chin guns of Dave Tubb past champions had zero affiliation to Hunting rifles !
Todays silhouette game is dwindling .
The reasons are :
The sport is hard
New shooters are either brought up as children by relatives
Or from other shooting disciplines that feature offhand shooting !
The notion of having a serious return participant emerge from the general novice population is absurd .
They arrive with the intention to beat everyone only to leave with their tale between their legs - never to return !
Todays so called Smallbore and high power HUNTING silhouette rifles have nothing to do with hunting . We ALL know this .
Learning the many ins and outs of those notorious NRA rule books was many a participants main focus !
Trying to master possibly all rifle disciplines by a very eager novice shooter DID NOT HAPPEN .
People often complain about expenses . And rightly so !
Travel with 4 different rifles or perhaps more is crazy and very expensive . It drives out many participants . The older shooters die off . Who replaces them ? Youngsters OR seasoned shooters from another shooting discipline .
The rules and the categories can be simplified and improved .
First : The vertical pistol grip of Anschutz design is within tradition of European style high quality weapons - ie Steyr Mannlicher SSG .
American style Classic stocks don’t cut it .
The 54MS style stock is within European styling tradition -
Not American . Yet look at ALL the custom frankenhunter Anschutz 54 rifles ! So it’s not a great stretch to allow :
Anschutz 54MS style stocks
And the difference between smallbore and high power weight limit is mostly circumstantial and arbitrary .
I merely suggested simplification in line with current trends so as to hopefully stop the complete disappearance of Silhouette Competition . I truly love the discipline and would hate to see it discontinue because of petty stubborn views which ignore today .
Thank you
GSL
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Last edited by cedestech on Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

Dear sir or whomever ,
Once again you are losing the basic concept .
You insist on being especially picayune about some word somewhere that annoys you . Clearly you have a bug up your ass .
Again - I was saying :
I love the sport and it would be sad to see it dwindle
Because of anal , tedious , sticks in mud who cannot see the forest for the trees . Have fun with that …
If you still are lost -
Call me :
You can find my number …
Thank you GSL
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

Dear sir ,
I appreciate your thoughts .
I have been affiliated with at least smallbore since 1994 .
I admit to not shooting more often than actually shooting
Yet have learned and tried to keep up with most major rule changes . I remember the very end of Open class rifle …
I remember starting Hunter smallbore …
There was and continues to be much friction about the so called REAL meaning of Hunter class smallbore rifle .
I did not jump into Hunter class until maybe 2015 ???
I had a 1712 in a Phar styled stock …
I liked it while hating a magazine feed .
I am now trying to catch up with a nice Frankenhunter .
I love the new designation and believe that it really improved this sport . I realize there are a great many old timers who lament the passing of off the shelf smallbore factory Hunter rifle .
It was a disaster then and will continue to be a problem as long as the old attitudes about change linger . I have participated with strictly Smallbore standard mainly because of my personal situation . Anyhow, some things do change and I really look forward to not only participating but competing .
I may not write in a very linear fashion …
I write as I speak . Anyhow taking a snippet out some where and contrasting with another snippet somewhere else is not going to help understanding at all …
I see the current climate as such :
Everyone who wants to be competitive WILL use a custom built Frankenhunter . Those who merely want to participate might not - yet they are not winning and they are not the role models for the sport . I have heard that Ridgeway would be open to the 54MS style stock for Hunter . I will be testing this come 2024 when the championship may be at Ridgeway again . I suggest the increase from 8.5 to 9 lbs because :
It is hard enough getting to 8.5 lbs because we now have to scavenge old target scopes to use . If we increase it will help making a frankenhunter rifle . We can use heavier current variable power scopes and it is the same designation as high power .
This is simpler . Also since most want to invest in a great hunter rifle so as to use for both classes - great .
I realize now that I was probably rambling before .
I apologize yet my message is the same ;
The tendency is written on the walls - if we look .
Participation is dwindling and has been since around 2000 .
I thank you for considering my proposal .
GSL
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

Oh yes !
Of course everything said before doesn’t apply to most casual local matches ! I agree ! However when you do go to a registered match as opposed to a merely sanctioned match / or even just a fun match - anything goes … the person running that match says whatever !
I was speaking of more formal matches ;
They weigh rifles … they follow strict guidelines about ALL aspects of a match . The only match available within 1.5 hrs of me is a joke as to formality ! It is chaos … yet it’s the only place where I can shoot with other people . Lol
It’s nice to finally communicate with you .
Good luck !
GSL
hugh
B Poster
B Poster

Post by hugh »

Guess I'd rather have a bug up my ass than my head. Type less, shoot more. Quit trying to fix shit that ain't broke.

-hugh
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Lol. Agreed
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

Doodaddy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:45 pm
GSL wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:41 am
cedestech wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:25 am

I have soooo many questions on thought process.... Sooooo many....
Please ask away …
Did my message seem unclear ?
Did you actually think about what my suggestion might do if adopted ? If the number of competitors is cut in half because some attend Standard rifle and some attend Hunter rifle - both in high power as well as smallbore … by making one rifle designation - ie Hunter as 9 lb - there would be no need for Standard .
If there is no standard , then by default Hunter would be the only silhouette rifle … you would not be dividing participation
By people choosing only Standard . Might you understand now ???
GSL
Have you ever seen someone compete in just one rifle and leave? I have never in my life.

By default, if they can shoot in hunter, that gun qualifies for standard so you gain no shooters there and I've never heard of a person shooting only standard.

There is no participation division there.

Lever action or air rifle you could make a case for though.
Dear Doodaddy ,

Apparently you have forgotten when you attended in 2010 ???
I competed with only Standard rifle and left .
I did not shoot high power …
You knew this !
You attended after 2010 sometime -
Again you saw me compete with only 1 rifle and leave .
Who are you trying to Kidd here ???
GSL
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Please reveal which match that you attended with Doodaddy in 2010.
Also please reveal which match it was that you attended with Doodaddy after 2010 sometime.
Danny Hatch.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

2010 National Championship Ridgway !
Others AFTER 2010 National Championship Ridgway
I have pictures …
Isn’t that correct Mary ???
GSL
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

That is totally INCORRECT!!!!!!! You absolutely have no clue as to what you are talking about. Again, Danny Hatch.