Experience with SK Standard Plus

This is what we do.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Experience with SK Standard Plus

Post by GTKF »

I've used Standard Plus since Lapua acquired it. and always found it to be consistent in my two silo rifles. Earlier this year I opened a case, purchased 2-3 years ago from Good Shooting and opened earlier this year. I found the consistency to be terrible in my 1712 and Anschutz standard gun. After questioning why my scores have dropped and my shooting inconsistent, A quick bench rest session showed major inconsistency, watching rounds dropping through the scope. I went on paper, off the bench. At 100 yds in a 5 shot group one rd dropped 8" and another 12". The other 3 were within 1" When I complained to Capstone Precision, the importer, I was told the lot was 11 years old and that it is shipped immediately after production. Because it was old they would not replace it and blamed "storage conditions" I've kept it dry in a heated garage. I'm wondering where it was for 7 or eight years and am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with a particular lot or received old ammunition?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Experience with SK Standard Plus

Post by Doodaddy »

Did you test the gun with any other lot or brand of ammunition after you discovered this lot is shooting poorly? That sort of variance in accuracy would have me looking at the optic system or ignition, unless you've certainly isolated a specific lot of ammo.

I've never had or seen a rimfire behave that erratic and the ammo be the culprit. A FOOT at 100 meters is absolutely wild
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Yes First thoughts was it me not shooting /competing as much as I did a few years ago and getting older. Checked all bolts for tightness and had just got the scope back from checking by leupold. Put both guns on the bench with this lot and 2 Dif lots I borrowed from a friend. Then put both guns on the bench with the questionable lot and a new lot I just rec'd. The new lot Dias expected 3/4" group at 100 yds and 1" with the second gun. It's the lot of SK I rec'd a few years ago, not me, not the gun, not the new lot. Very disappointed.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

What did your 40 meter groups look like?
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

My SK+ from results at the lapua test center. All results are edge to edge and all same lot
at 50m
Walther: 10 shots at 19.56 mm (0.77 inch)
Anschutz 1: 10 shots at 21.02 mm (0.82 inch)
Anschutz 2: 10 shots at 25.2 mm (0.99 inch)

at 100m
Walther: 10 shots at 61.32 mm (2.41 inch)
Anschutz 1: 10 shots at 46.74 mm (1.82 inch)
Anschutz 2: 10 shots at 63.12 mm (2.48 inch)

That walther with the factory barrel almost set the record at the mesa lapua center using a lot of midas+ they had. Had 10 shot groups of 11.72, 12.04, 13.24, 13.34, 14.04 and 14.20 mm at 50m with 3 different lots of midas+ (best 20 shot group was 14.34 mm). SK is now practice ammo or short range chickens and pigs only

Test every new lot of rimfire in every gun you use, that is the only consensus to rimfire ammo. And you get what you pay for strikes again
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Yes. I was in the middle of a case and it quit shooting. A friend said he’s had the same problem.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

GTKF wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:51 pm Yes First thoughts was it me not shooting /competing as much as I did a few years ago and getting older. Checked all bolts for tightness and had just got the scope back from checking by leupold. Put both guns on the bench with this lot and 2 Dif lots I borrowed from a friend. Then put both guns on the bench with the questionable lot and a new lot I just rec'd. The new lot Dias expected 3/4" group at 100 yds and 1" with the second gun. It's the lot of SK I rec'd a few years ago, not me, not the gun, not the new lot. Very disappointed.
Well you did what I likely would have. That's rough.

I'd buy a couple boxes off of you to see how it would group in my gun for fun if you're up for it
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Again,
What size groups did it shoot at 40 meters?
Did it one hole at 40 meters?
Why are you testing it at 100 yards instead of 100 meters?
The last 9 yards between 100 yards and 100 meters makes a lot of difference.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Didn't care what it did it 40 meters. it's not going to work at 100 yds. Tested at 100 yards because that's what the match is at our club. Yes I'm aware of the difference in performance with some ammo between 100 yds and 100 mtrs, but if it doesn't work at 100 yds it isn't going to be any better at 100 meters when it's dropping the way it is.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

GTKF wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:14 pm Didn't care what it did it 40 meters. it's not going to work at 100 yds. Tested at 100 yards because that's what the match is at our club. Yes I'm aware of the difference in performance with some ammo between 100 yds and 100 mtrs, but if it doesn't work at 100 yds it isn't going to be any better at 100 meters when it's dropping the way it is.
^that.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Rimfire 22 ammo does this over time. I had nearly 2 cases of CCI STD V that the internet raves about. Not only did I have dropped shots, but several duds within a box of 50. A quick bullet pull showed the priming compound was no longer within the rim. I sold it to a buddy with full disclosure and he sold it at a gunshot for great profit.
- Joe