Inside scoop on availability of shooting supplies?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Inside scoop on availability of shooting supplies?

Post by SqHunter »

Would anyone have an inside scoop on what we can expect for the coming year as far as shooting supplies go?

I was getting excited about some of the great matches posted recently, yet when I take inventory, I realize that if I can't find components soon there won't be any shooting this year.

Is Sierra going to make bullets again? What about Hogden and H4895? Large rifle primers? etc.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Inside scoop on availability of shooting supplies?

Post by cedestech »

LRP, shop around, they are out there.

Look at IMR 4895, Not same but close and it's out there also.

Seirra.... I don't know what they are making but bullets for anything other than government contracts, I don't think so....

Adapt and overcome.

:ymhug:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

SqHunter wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:51 am Would anyone have an inside scoop on what we can expect for the coming year as far as shooting supplies go?

I was getting excited about some of the great matches posted recently, yet when I take inventory, I realize that if I can't find components soon there won't be any shooting this year.

Is Sierra going to make bullets again? What about Hogden and H4895? Large rifle primers? etc.
Looking online and in stores local to me, supplies are becoming more available. Reloading components from many of the major brands are back on the shelves. I was even able to pick up 2 bricks (1000 primers each) of CCI#200 Large Rifle Primers from a local hardware store. You may be looking for something specific which may be in less demand than other items they have been trying to keep up with. Once they get caught up, they'll start making the items that are in less demand. Either way all the major manufacturers have been working round the clock to make product for consumers.

As for Sierra, they currently have bullets in stock on their website, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for from them but they are producing as quickly as they can.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Interesting. I hope you are both right. Last year there were several national level reports that products would be available in months, but a year later there are still no primers or other things. I have had an order for a Stiller action for two years, not a peep. It has been at least two, maybe three years since H4895 was available. Starline brass is the same.

Does anyone have an inside tract with Lapua? Are they still in business? Any ideas when Center X will be available again?
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

SqHunter wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:56 pm Interesting. I hope you are both right. Last year there were several national level reports that products would be available in months, but a year later there are still no primers or other things. I have had an order for a Stiller action for two years, not a peep. It has been at least two, maybe three years since H4895 was available. Starline brass is the same.

Does anyone have an inside tract with Lapua? Are they still in business? Any ideas when Center X will be available again?
Lapua is very much still in business! Center X has been available off and on as shipments arrive in the US as is the case with other products from Lapua. Vihtavuori has also been on the shelves with more consistency in Washington State where I live including N140 which is very popular.

What exactly are you loading for? Perhaps some components can be tracked down or alternatives can be provided.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Powder Valley has a lot of powder in stock, including IMR4895 and a number of different 4350’s that had been absent for a good while. Midway has a ton of bullets in stock, surely some combination will suffice for a season. For cowboy I have been enjoying cast, just seems cowboy’ish.
Large rifle primers apparently are produced by unicorns in the Pacific Northwest. If someone comes across a non-scam mail order supply someplace please feel free to post the location. There are a a number of use caught off guard and in short supply.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Small Rifle and pistol primers seem to pop up pretty regular. Prices are coming down from a year ago to boot.
Large Pistol primers do show up, but you have to be quick to grab them.
Large Rifle are a bit trickier to find but they can be found.
Powder stocks seem to be somewhat recovering.
Creedmoor Sports gets Lapua stuff in fairly regular.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Thanks for the LG rifle primer information. 1500 hundred shots for the same price it takes to attend a local weekend match for us. 150mile drive, fuel and lunch. I would rather pay less but I would also like to keep shooting..
Thanks again.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/pri ... 00ct-fa210

I guess it’s primer day. Now I just need 32-20 brass day.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Cost of everything going nuts. I picked up a brick of BR2 last summer that cost me what the last case of them I bought a couple of years ago cost. Don't want to talk about what the smokeless powder cost me compared to the can of 4831 I have that has a 3.25 price sticker on it... :D
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

What I have learned is buy in bulk. What is cheap today will be expensive tomorrow, what is expensive today will be unobtainable tomorrow...

It doesn't always work like that but 9 times out of 10 it does... ;)
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

When we made the decision to shoot silhouette 21 years ago, it was the "best bang for your buck".
In other words, the most fun and enjoyment of any hobby we researched for the least cost.
Now, it is prohibitively expensive for people with average incomes.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

It's about personal choice, do you want a 1400 I phone and 100 bucks a month contract, or do you want to shoot? couple thousand worth of tattoos or go shooting?
I know young folks that say they can't afford to shoot, but will spend more on going to a pro football game than a new rifle, pistol, or a case of primers (if you can find a case) would cost.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

One of the reasons I like buying/shooting cast bullets in leverguns is that I can get them. It might take two months but they will arrive. The offset is, however, sometimes it requires burning more of our valuable powder and primers in order to find a good-shooting load.