38-55 handloading components for 1894 Cimarron/Uberti

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
whaler
Unclassified Poster

38-55 handloading components for 1894 Cimarron/Uberti

Post by whaler »

Just got a new 1894 Cimarron, and to my eye it's really beautiful. But I could use some suggestions on handloading component choices.

Brass: Will the Starline "long" (2.125") brass work with this rifle? I've read their article on selecting 2.125 vs 2.080, but am still in the dark when it comes to a new rifle like this. Then there's the problem of finding any, long or standard :(

Bullets?
Powder?

Thanks for any advice
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 38-55 handloading components for 1894 Cimarron/Uberti

Post by Merlin »

Hodgdon Or IMR 4831 (reduced loading per Hodgdon) with Hunter Supply cast 260 gr. lead bullets with Starline Brass. Don't have the Cimarron so can't say on brass. I used the long brass with my factory Marlin and short brass with my re-bored Marlin. Very accurate with virtually no leading with no gas check.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

The short brass will likely work. Factory brass you find (if you find) would likely be of the short variety as well. The Star-line long brass may work, if it doesn’t you could shorten it. With current brass shortage issues I would take what I could find and play with brass length or bullet seating depth until what I could find would work.

http://maplewoodbullets.com/ Makes some nice bullets and cast with lead that’s about the right hardness for mild loads. Mild loads is all you will likely need unless you just like recoil. Shooters World “Buffalo Rifle” is a good powder choice. Once you start digging around you’ll find load data using pistol powders to medium burn rate rifle powders. You likely already know this but if you shoot cast, bullet diameter is key to good accuracy and minimal leading. Let’s say the Uberti is .375 bore diameter, I’d start with a .377 cast bullet. If you order bullets to big you can make them smaller but if they are to small to start with, making them bigger isn’t a practical option. You may be a bullet caster and didn’t need that little explanation at all.

What a great cartridge for this sport. If you find 32-20 brass while searching for 38-55 let us know.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

I have the Cimarron 1894 Deluxe 26" barrel in 38-55

There are two reasons why the long Starline brass will not work in my rifle.

The long brass enters the throat area of the chamber. If the case can not open properly to release the bullet chamber pressure could rise, a lot.
The long brass will not cycle through the action. Using the Accurate Mold 38-245D , the bullet makes hard contact with roof of the chamber before the case rim clears the cartridge guides.

The short brass works fine. I have my chicken and pig load (pictured 100 yard 9 shot group) , when the weather clears I will fine tune my turkey and ram load.

The bullet in the picture is an Accurate Mold 38-285B. It gives the same overall length and has the same profile as the 38-245D. It just has more weight for those 200 meter rams. It is in the picture for size reference as I didn't have any 245gr bullets on hand.
The load is 245gr bullet, 20-1 alloy, White Label Lube 50/50, CCI#350
primer and 7.5gr Trailboss. That bullet is screaming along at 950fps, but it knocks over the 100 meter pigs with no problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DAVIDMAGNUM on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

If Uberti is using the same reamer design as they used in the highwalls, the short brass works fine, and as long as you can keep the OAL to work thru the action in that 94 knock off the long brass should work as well.
4198 works well with 255-300 gr bullets.

I did find it interesting that Winchester factory loads from the 1950's the brass was the "long" version not the shorter variety they started using when they used in the 70's and 80's when they brought the cartridge back.
whaler
Unclassified Poster

Post by whaler »

Many thanks for the input. I'll probably be back here asking for more advice as I get further down the road.

BTW, Starline seems to have the 2.080 shorter brass available now. Their website says "Backordered", but allowed me to place an order, and it shipped in about 4 days. https://www.starlinebrass.com/38-55-brass-2080