PC 32H&R Opinions?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

PC 32H&R Opinions?

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

I'm currently shooting 357 magnum 125gr with 6gr of titegroup and it feels a bit overkill for PC silhouette. I've tried sb hunter pistol silhouette a couple times and was thinking about center fire pistol in the future and 32 H&R was brought to my attention.

Wait...PC lever and Center fire pistol are shot on the same targets at the same distance! Is anyone using 32 H&R for PC silhouette? I've never shot 32 H&R, but looking at velocity I think it would be a mouse fart.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: PC 32H&R Opinions?

Post by TheBugFather »

About the same as 32-20, slightly easier to load as straight wall case.

Slightly older marlins are available and maybe other models.

Henry has or had a 327 Federal Magnum, that is about the same, but could be loaded down some.

Dennis Ostler
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Marlin made a limited run of 32 H&R 94’s in the cowboy configuration. They’re hard to find and when you do, expect to pay a premium. They are soft shooters due to the octagonal barrel. It’s easy to load down or run it hot. Cast lead or buy hornady XTP jacketed bullets.

Another suggestion is the 32-20 which is more plentiful in Winchester and Marlin rifles.

Right now brass is hard to find for either one.
- Joe
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

c4p,

Have you tried working up milder loads for the .357 mag? Coated cast 125 gr bullets often work well at lower speeds, but you have to experiment to see what your gun likes. 6 gr of Titegroup is pretty zippy. A lot of guys shooting .32 calibers are using 115 gr bullets, so the bullet weight is not that different. I would not suggest experimenting with mild loads and jacketed bullets.
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

PAndy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:20 am c4p,

Have you tried working up milder loads for the .357 mag? Coated cast 125 gr bullets often work well at lower speeds, but you have to experiment to see what your gun likes. 6 gr of Titegroup is pretty zippy. A lot of guys shooting .32 calibers are using 115 gr bullets, so the bullet weight is not that different. I would not suggest experimenting with mild loads and jacketed bullets.
I have not, always nervous about that. I'm using jacketed bullets, but as you said it's pretty zippy.

I'm honestly not a fan of reloading and chasing that perfect load, or thinking for that matter. I just figured if I was to maybe use 32 h&R one day in the far future for pistol why couldn't I use it for lever...
Brokegunner
Unclassified Poster

Post by Brokegunner »

I have had a Marlin Cowboy Limited 32H&R sitting in my safe for 2 years and never fired it, so last week I decided to dig out some brass and see if it shoots. I loaded Bear Creek Supply 100gr RNFP with bullseye and blue dot as test loads, hope to get to the range this weekend to try them out.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

You actually have a lot of options. You could load the 357 way down or do the same with 38 specials. I started with a 44-40 and it was way too much gun so I went to a 32-20 which is great. I think a 32 would work well too but finding one is not easy. I have friends that do not like to reload and they are quite happy shooting 22 magnums. The 22 magnums are readily available from Henry.
Good luck.
Rick
Richard
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

You actually have a lot of options. You could load the 357 way down or do the same with 38 specials. I started with a 44-40 and it was way too much gun so I went to a 32-20 which is great. I think a 32 would work well too but finding one is not easy. I have friends that do not like to reload and they are quite happy shooting 22 magnums. The 22 magnums are readily available from Henry.
Good luck.
Rick
Richard
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

32 H&R or 327Fed would be great options. Like a number of great cartridge options for lever / cowboy silhouette a suitable rifle in some of these options are very few and far between or simply don’t exist. 256 magnum would be a great PC gun as well but already burned the industry once. Maybe Marlin / Ruger will make a long heavy barrel option in a 25 or 32 pistol cartridge. Our needs are such a minority in the market it’s not likely but we can wish.

Cases like the 327 or 256 loaded down to our needs would last close to forever and not be frail like the 25 or 32-20. In the case for the 256 you can find plenty of .357 brass to make it but you can also just shoot a mild loaded .357 and have wishful conversations about the others. We may have a better chance getting an importer of Uberti’s to order a run of rifles suitable for our needs. Like once every other Blue moon a trickle of 1866’s in .22mag make it to our shores.