Disappearing front sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Disappearing front sight

Post by H.Plummer »

My front sight bead completely disappears against a black target so something has to change.
Has anyone tried the Dawson Precision fiber optic sight they make to fit Henry rifles?
Or I could switch to a Skinner front sight blade and change my sight picture to a 6 o'clock hold.
Comments, opinions, suggestions for this new shooter?
elevenbravo
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Disappearing front sight

Post by elevenbravo »

have you tried a clear round aperture, I make and sell a clear with black circle aperture that fits a Lyman 17A
sight. I start with an Anschutz contrast aperture and machine to fit a Lyman sight. I could no longer see a post
type front sight and when I installed this sight the animal just lights up inside the black circle. have sold a couple dozen
with mostly positive feedback, Paul
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Thanks for that suggestion Paul, but I think the lever gun class is limited to either a bead or post. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

If you need glasses to read, a set of Decot or other glasses with a +.5 or .75 or maybe even a 1.0 correction in the top 1/4 may help. The trade off is it will make the target blurry, that is if it isn't already blurry, but it's easier to shoot at a target blob than it is to shoot without being able to see the front sight.

For a cheap experiment, and when you have some practice time, try a set of 1.0 readers and see if that helps you see a clear front sight.

My front sight is not visible on most of my rifles, especially the shorter carbines, but if I shoot a 30" barreled rifle, the front bead is pretty clear. I use a set of Decot's with a +.75 to shoot my carbines.

I don't know the rules on lenses in sights, but there may be a solution there also.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

H.Plummer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:19 am Thanks for that suggestion Paul, but I think the lever gun class is limited to either a bead or post. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, you are very wrong.
The current rule book is dated 2023 and Rule 3.1.3(a) says (in part) The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed non magnified round aperture.
Been like that since about 2017.
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

No1_49er wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:26 am
H.Plummer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:19 am Thanks for that suggestion Paul, but I think the lever gun class is limited to either a bead or post. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, you are very wrong.
The current rule book is dated 2023 and Rule 3.1.3(a) says (in part) The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed non magnified round aperture.
Been like that since about 2017.
Precisely why I asked to be corrected if I was wrong or, in this case, VERY wrong. Thanks for the update. Time to print off a current rule book, I guess.
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

ywltzucanrknrl wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:03 am If you need glasses to read, a set of Decot or other glasses with a +.5 or .75 or maybe even a 1.0 correction in the top 1/4 may help. The trade off is it will make the target blurry, that is if it isn't already blurry, but it's easier to shoot at a target blob than it is to shoot without being able to see the front sight.

For a cheap experiment, and when you have some practice time, try a set of 1.0 readers and see if that helps you see a clear front sight.

My front sight is not visible on most of my rifles, especially the shorter carbines, but if I shoot a 30" barreled rifle, the front bead is pretty clear. I use a set of Decot's with a +.75 to shoot my carbines.

I don't know the rules on lenses in sights, but there may be a solution there also.
Thank you for those suggestions. I do require readers and use a pair of SSP Eyewear shooting glasses with, I think, a 2.0 correction. My front sight is pretty clear, until it's on a black target!
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

H. Plummer,

I have experienced the same issue you are experiencing. I recently obtained some of the Anschutz apertures that ElevenBravo mentioned to you.
They work very well for me. I have a clear uninstructed view of the animals; and the clarity is remarkable. I would highly recommend trying them.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Thank you for all the replies. Now I have a few options to try out
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

Big Fat Lollypop.jpg
As my front sights, bead on post , have gotten fuzzy I tried a few things and this is what is working for me.
I used a leather hole punch and created some plastic discs from a medicine bottle cap. I then taped the sight insert down with the metal "lollypop" laying on the plastic disc. I then heated the sight insert with a soldering iron until the metal bead/post is inside of the plastic disc. The picture is of my spare. I have three that turned out more centered and a little neater. Those are on my match rifles, LAR, PC and 22LR.
I do not know the size, I would have to measure it. It is larger than the Marbles large ivory beads. While it does cover as much as 1/2 of the animal, depending on the animal and distance , I can clearly see where I am aiming.

If someone made the inserts with a "lollypop" this large I would buy them.
If I get caught up on casting and loading this winter I may try to silver solder a brass disc on an insert. Don't know if I could get that centered but I can try.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
elevenbravo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by elevenbravo »

more info on the apertures I supply. they are not magnified and are not considered a lens
as there is a hole in the center, I supply two sizes, 2.8 mm = .110 hole size and 3.0 mm = .118
on my rifles and the feedback i'm getting the 2.8 is sized for SB and PC with the 3.0 working
best for LAR. price is $25.00 each plus $5.00 S&H. I can ship about 10 each for the $5.00 S&H cost
best way to contact me is e-mail plviola22@gmail.com
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

After much consideration, and in the interest of keeping my rifle as clean looking as possible, I've decided to order a Patridge sight from Skinner and try a 6 o'clock hold. If it doesn't work, you have all provided more options to try..
I have to resist the urge to try to buy accuracy and skill. While having a good sight picture is critical, there is no substitute for practice. After all, I could have the most hi tech sighting system in the world but if I can't hold on the target when the hammer falls, it's all money down the drain.
So, I'll try the post style sight picture and practice, practice, practice. I think my next step would be to try a Marbles tang sight to increase my depth of field. Does anyone know if the Marbles tang will work with the factory front sight height? Wish me luck!
Thanks all!
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Just a little update...
I installed a Skinner patridge front sight and after a couple rear sight adjustments I was drilling the X ring at 40 meters. The 6 o'clock hold took some getting used to but so far, so good. I'm heading to the silhouette range next week and that will be the real test.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

elevenbravo wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:52 am have you tried a clear round aperture, I make and sell a clear with black circle aperture that fits a Lyman 17A
sight. I start with an Anschutz contrast aperture and machine to fit a Lyman sight. I could no longer see a post
type front sight and when I installed this sight the animal just lights up inside the black circle. have sold a couple dozen
with mostly positive feedback, Paul
Paul, could you post a picture of your insert?
thanks
chuck
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I solved this problem by buying a pair of cheap glasses from Zenni Optical on-line and add 1.0 diopler to the right lenses of my regular prescription. Front sight is sharp and the distance doesn't suffer that much
ppkny