Ammo 22BPCR

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Ammo 22BPCR

Post by 375Short »

With the long range requirements in 22BPCR is there a trend towards any certain ammunition choice?
I know what shoots best in your rifle is a good choice but having no experience at 200M/Y I thought maybe a short list of likely candidates may exist for long range performance. Or just as important a short list of ammo that never seems to perform well at that distance.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Ammo 22BPCR

Post by DonM »

Equipment lists from various matches tend to show several variations of Lapua,Rws,Eley, and Sk target ammunition with velocity hovering between 1050 & 1100 fps.
Find the ammo that shoots the best at 200 meters then test again at that distance on a windy day
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I've had exceptional accuracy at 100M with Eley Force at 1130-1250 fps. Don't know how it will perform at 200 but it's worth a look. I'm wondering if std velocity would have enough energy left at 200M. That being said I don't currently shot 200M but I'm willing to get some more opinions.
ppkny
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

ppkny wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:30 am I've had exceptional accuracy at 100M with Eley Force at 1130-1250 fps. Don't know how it will perform at 200 but it's worth a look. I'm wondering if std velocity would have enough energy left at 200M. That being said I don't currently shot 200M but I'm willing to get some more opinions.
ppkny
It sounds counter , but standard velocity target ammunition preforms better at the ram line than does the high velocity ammunition, especially if the conditions turn a bit nasty.
Yes standard velocity ammo takes the 22 bpcr rams off the rail with ease. There have been some scattered instances of folks shooting 22 bpcr matches and doing well with 22 shorts and the subsonic stuff.
The key is finding the ammo your rifle prefers.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I shot the BPCR22 matches this July at Whittington. One of the shooters squadded with us used Eley Force. It worked well up to 100 meters, but performed poorly at Turkeys and Rams. We gave him some Eley red box and he shot much better on the far distance targets.

The new Lapua long range match ammo works great according to those who have used it. It uses a different powder than regular Lapua and the velocity is up around 1100fps.

Norma had a new match.22 cartridge at the Shot Show this year that has a base that resembles a rocket ship with fins. However, I cannot find it for sale anywhere. Really curious how it will perform.

Jim Luke
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

My CPA shoots the Norma Match really well in all manner of conditions out the the rams and beyond.
My CSA lowall with the McGowen barrel and my wife's lowall with a 2 weight McGowen both shoot the Eley target quite well.
My original stevens with the pope barrel shoots Aquila Rifle Match the best and at the 2016 nationals a friend borrowed it to shoot his first match and shot a 30 with a DNF on the chickens.
My miroku loyal is really fond of SK match.
Funny how picky these 22's can be, my wife's rifle with anything SK or Lapua, a person would be better off with a .410 shooting buckshot at any distance.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

DonM, are you referring to the new Norma Match ammo that has the fins on the bullet base? I cannot find it for sale anywhere, and the Norma facility in Georgia does not have it.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

No it's the Norma Match that's been around for quite awhile. Comes in a white box. That hasn't been available much since this last shortage started.
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 40-65rl »

I shot the Lapua Long Range in my CPA at Raton in July and finished seventh in master scope, the largest group of competitors at the match. I had a brain Fa*t and put a shot into the chicken berm while cleaning the turkeys. It cost me fourth place in master scope, yes the scores are that tight. The stuff really shoots! My other CPA, an identical rifle, doesn't like it as much and prefers Lapua Center X. Match your ammo to your rifle, you want sub minute of angle at 200 and if it shots there it will take down all the closer animals, stay with quality standard velocity ammo, if you spend what a good rifle costs don't cut corners on ammo, then ................find a spotter who can help read the wind, even what you would think are little changes make lots of difference, practice, practice. Great game for the entire family.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

This past weekend, at the Tappan Hill BPCR22 match, I had occasion to help Jim Goodnight sight in his rifle on the turkeys and rams.
It was a rather windy day and not ideal for testing ammo. Jim was shooting the new Lapua Super Long Range ammo.

I was amazed at the accuracy of that round in the wind. There was some horizontal dispersion, but, vertically, it was tight.

I shot Eley black box on Saturday and had two shots that were way off call, and I think it was the ammo. So, on Sunday, I bought a box of the Lapua Super Long Range from Jim and shot the lay down animals with it. Now, mind you, Sunday was even more windy than Saturday. I had no errant shots and on the rams and was able, with Jim's help, to hit 14 out of 15.

I am sold on the new Lapua Super Long Range. It is expensive, but if you just use it on turkeys and rams, it should last awhile. i understand Lapua uses a different powder for this round and the velocity is around 1100fps. Whatever, it does shoot for me.

Jim Luke
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Jim, you and the other Jim deserve a great big well done for the outcome of that Tappan Hill match.